PDA

View Full Version : The incompetence and arrogance of the Political Class

heavenlyboy34
08-26-2010, 04:49 PM
Will Grigg has an interesting blog post (http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/64396.html)today:

Libby, Montana resident Judy Mattot had an opportunity few will enjoy — and she made the most of it.

Montana Democratic Senator Max Baucus, the chief legislative sponsor of the Obamacare monstrosity, and HEW Commissarina Welfare Kathleen Sibelius recently visited Libby to praise their own benevolence in enacting the Obamacare monstrosity.

An event of this kind is supposed to be a liturgy in which awe-struck commoners praise the Divine Leviathan and its exalted emissaries. Some participants at the 40 people assembled in Libby City Hall played their scripted roles. Mattot wasn’t one of them.

Mrs. Mattot, a retired nurse, asked Baucus and Sibelius “if either of you read the health care bill before it was passed”; if not, “that is the most despicable, irresponsible thing.”

Baucus replied that he “essentially” wrote the socialized medicine bill, but admitted that he had subcontracted the details to unnamed — and unaccountable — “experts,” which is how things are routinely done in Washington: “I don’t think you want me to waste my time to read every page of the health care bill. You know why? It’s statutory language. We hire experts.”

Why should members of the political class waste their incomparably precious time by actually reading the measures they inflict on us? Why should we expect elected officials to understand — without the benefit of “experts” — the same impenetrably opaque “statutory language” that will be used to plunder our wealth, regiment our lives, and send some of us to prison?

Since those who grandly (and dishonestly) describe themselves as our elected “representatives” can’t be bothered even to read the “laws” they enact, we shouldn’t be required to obey their enactments. Granted, we shouldn’t be required to obey anything propounded by our supposed masters in Washington, but simply ignoring the “laws” they haven’t even read prior to passage would be a good place to start.