PDA

View Full Version : Why am I attending Glenn Beck's 8/28?

tnvoter
08-26-2010, 03:21 PM
1. I'm going to pray for our country there.

2. I'm going to be wearing my old 2008 I SUPPORT RON PAUL campaign shirt to do my part to keep his name fresh to potential supporters

3. I'm only 20 min drive away.

Sound like pran?

Fredom101
08-26-2010, 03:25 PM
1. Well praying won't do a damn thing.
2. I applaud you for wearing the RP 08 shirt. Make sure when people want to debate you that you stick to principles and ideas as opposed to going down a path of "Well what about the schools? What about the roads? Isn't RP against the poor?" That will last forever. You just have to go back to the idea that we do not need force and the threat of violence in society to get things done. The less government, the better off we are.
3. Great. Do it.

tnvoter
08-26-2010, 03:44 PM
Not from my experience, but to each his own.

2. I applaud you for wearing the RP 08 shirt. Make sure when people want to debate you that you stick to principles and ideas as opposed to going down a path of "Well what about the schools? What about the roads? Isn't RP against the poor?" That will last forever. You just have to go back to the idea that we do not need force and the threat of violence in society to get things done. The less government, the better off we are.

Oh Heck yes.

mconder
08-26-2010, 03:55 PM

How Ayn Rand of you, though I think Dr. Paul may disagree.

djdellisanti4
08-26-2010, 03:57 PM

How Ayn Rand of you, though I think Dr. Paul may disagree.

Guys lets not start a religious debate right now. Lets keep our eyes on the prize. The day after Ron Paul gets inaugurated in 2013, then we can talk religion.

RPgrassrootsactivist
08-26-2010, 04:29 PM

2. I'm going to be wearing my old 2008 I SUPPORT RON PAUL campaign shirt to do my part to keep his name fresh to potential supporters

Sound like pran?

Please consider handing out some reading material while there. I think it's probably fairly likely to get read; people seem to like getting handed material from those they see as political allies. You can go to Office Max and get a bunch of copies made for a reasonable (considering how many people you will reach) price.

For example, you could turn this jury nullification article into a one-page flier: http://www.constitution.org/jury/../col/if_jury.htm
It may need some slight modification, though. For example, this phrase may lead to trouble as it could be interpreted as encouraging jurors to lie during questioning (even though I doubt that is how it was intended by the author):
"During questioning of the jury candidates, play dumb. Don't admit to much knowledge of the law. If asked about the right of the jury to judge the law, or about jury nullification, only admit to having read about it somewhere, but that you haven't given it much thought."

But if you edit that part out, it makes a great flier.

Or you could write up your own flier with some key talking points about Ron Paul that will appeal to many conservatives: Sanctity of Life Act, We the People Act, ending the income tax (and replacing it with nothing), Fed transparency, ending foreign aid, leaving the United Nations, commitment to strict construction ("Dr. No"), etc.

I wish everyone would do this kind of thing; in my experience, most people at tea party-type rallies are receptive to receiving reading material.

tnvoter
08-26-2010, 05:27 PM
Please consider handing out some reading material while there. I think it's probably fairly likely to get read; people seem to like getting handed material from those they see as political allies. You can go to Office Max and get a bunch of copies made for a reasonable (considering how many people you will reach) price.

For example, you could turn this jury nullification article into a one-page flier: http://www.constitution.org/jury/../col/if_jury.htm
It may need some slight modification, though. For example, this phrase may lead to trouble as it could be interpreted as encouraging jurors to lie during questioning (even though I doubt that is how it was intended by the author):
"During questioning of the jury candidates, play dumb. Don't admit to much knowledge of the law. If asked about the right of the jury to judge the law, or about jury nullification, only admit to having read about it somewhere, but that you haven't given it much thought."

But if you edit that part out, it makes a great flier.

Or you could write up your own flier with some key talking points about Ron Paul that will appeal to many conservatives: Sanctity of Life Act, We the People Act, ending the income tax (and replacing it with nothing), Fed transparency, ending foreign aid, leaving the United Nations, commitment to strict construction ("Dr. No"), etc.

I wish everyone would do this kind of thing; in my experience, most people at tea party-type rallies are receptive to receiving reading material.

Thank you for recommending this, Definitely going to make a small one with points associated with this rally.

DjLoTi
08-26-2010, 05:28 PM
If i was 20 min away, I would soo go

tnvoter
08-26-2010, 05:34 PM
If i was 20 min away, I would soo go

I'll post any interesting photos- along with the flyer I passed out.

1000-points-of-fright
08-26-2010, 05:45 PM
Supposedly this is a non-political event. Bringing signs is discouraged so you might get some grief if you're handing out Ron Paul stuff and other literature. But that shouldn't discourage you from talking to people.

Lord Xar
08-26-2010, 06:04 PM
On the back of your shirt you should get silkscreened..

"Ask, and I will give you a pocket constitution"

Bring a bundle and folded in it, you should put some Ron Paul literature.

Deborah K
08-26-2010, 06:28 PM
On the back of your shirt you should get silkscreened..

"Ask, and I will give you a pocket constitution"

Bring a bundle and folded in it, you should put some Ron Paul literature.

I don't think these attendees will need pocket constitutions. But the nullification flyers and your idea for the back of the shirt are both great!

tnvoter: Let us know how it goes. I thought about going, but we're doing something else for our vacation this year. We will be praying right along with you that day. Good luck, have fun, be safe.

Matt Collins
08-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Hand out CFL or Rand Paul slim jims!

ItsTime
08-26-2010, 07:01 PM
Have fun man. Expect a lot of hate for wearing the Paul shirt.

Brett85
08-26-2010, 07:15 PM

Sound like pran?

Good for you. Good luck and God bless.

FrankRep
08-26-2010, 08:50 PM
Hand out CFL or Rand Paul slim jims!
Bingo.

RPgrassrootsactivist
08-27-2010, 02:11 PM
Supposedly this is a non-political event. Bringing signs is discouraged so you might get some grief if you're handing out Ron Paul stuff and other literature. But that shouldn't discourage you from talking to people.

As long as the rally is open to the general public without having to enter a reserved area, I don't suspect anyone should have a problem with security or police telling them to stop. If they do, then they can just cease after being told to stop. But there probably won't be an issue, anyway.

Elwar
08-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Perhaps hold up a sign saying something along the lines of

"Small government includes getting rid of welfare for the elderly"
or
"What part of small government includes spending trillions on worthless wars?"
or
"Why is Glenn Beck suddenly against government now that Republicans aren't in power?"
or
"If you voted for Ron Paul you'd have an end of the Iraq war and a fiscal surplus. Now you have an end to the Iraq war and a depression. Hope your lust for war was worth it."

paulitics
08-27-2010, 02:27 PM
Perhaps hold up a sign saying something along the lines of

"Small government includes getting rid of welfare for the elderly"
or
"What part of small government includes spending trillions on worthless wars?"
or
"Why is Glenn Beck suddenly against government now that Republicans aren't in power?"
or
"If you voted for Ron Paul you'd have an end of the Iraq war and a fiscal surplus. Now you have an end to the Iraq war and a depression. Hope your lust for war was worth it."

or
"Glenn beck was for the bailouts before he was against it."

MRoCkEd
08-27-2010, 02:28 PM
Is this at the Lincoln Memorial?

How about this sign:

Lincoln was a tyrant!

:p

No, but seriously... hand out some Ron Paul or C4L stuff, and be polite about it.

Valli6
08-27-2010, 03:29 PM
Be sure to check out RP's latest piece, A Tea Party Foreign Policy (as mentioned in this thread http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=258627) for some great quotes!

"we cannot stand against big government at home while supporting it abroad."

"We cannot pat ourselves on the back for cutting a few thousand dollars from a nature preserve or an inner-city swimming pool at home while turning a blind eye to a Pentagon budget that nearly equals those of the rest of the world combined. "
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2010/08/27/a_tea_party_foreign_policy

(My suspicion is that the whole point of this event is to encourage and incorporate "neocon-y-ness" into the tea party.:cool: Good luck!)
FYI - Michele Bachman is holding something Saturday in DC also! at 1:30

" I would like to invite everyone who is in Washington, DC to attend a townhall with me and several other prominent guests. Our outdoor event will be held next to the Washington Monument, at 15th Street & Constitution. We will be starting on Saturday at 1:30pm. This will be a great forum for individuals who wish to make their voices heard. Please join me for this free event!"
http : // biggovernment. com/publius/2010/08/27/congresswoman-michele-bachmann-join-me-for-a-tea-party-townhall-this-saturday/

Valli6
08-27-2010, 03:53 PM
By the way
C-Span will be airing this at 10 AM. Later in the day they will air Sharpton"s "Reclaim the Dream" counter-rally, which I believe actually takes place earlier than Beck's thing.
More info PLUS Washington Journal show about these rallies, (from this morning):
http://www.c-spanvideo.org/videoLibrary/event.php?id=186193

The Dude
08-27-2010, 08:45 PM
I wish Palin wasn't going to be there...I'm so sick of her being propped up as the tea party leader. I don't have a big problem with Beck, as he's right and says the right things probably 85% of the time. It will be interesting to see what happens at his rally.

nobody's_hero
08-28-2010, 01:37 AM
be sure to talk about the federal reserve. It's not political. It's a so called "separate entity" (except when it is not) from our federal government.

libertarian4321
08-28-2010, 01:55 AM

Just make sure you put a bone through your nose and shake a rattle while you pray- it will make it more effective, really, it will...

libertybrewcity
08-28-2010, 02:18 AM
I was thinking about making a sign that says "Republicans FOR the Mosque".

Could get a little dangerous, but people would probably be willing to debate.

A Son of Liberty
08-28-2010, 03:13 AM
(My suspicion is that the whole point of this event is to encourage and incorporate "neocon-y-ness" into the tea party.:cool: Good luck!)
FYI - Michele Bachman is holding something Saturday in DC also! at 1:30

http : // biggovernment. com/publius/2010/08/27/congresswoman-michele-bachmann-join-me-for-a-tea-party-townhall-this-saturday/

With the Bachman event so close and so soon afterwards, I would think that is a very fair suspicion.

It will be interesting to see what all of this is about.

Warrior_of_Freedom
08-28-2010, 07:03 AM
I still don't understand what it is about, and anything with "Glenn Beck" in it, makes me skeptical.

Bruno
08-28-2010, 07:04 AM
I still don't understand what it is about, and anything with "Glenn Beck" in it, makes me skeptical.

Its a self-promoting patriotic cry-fest, is my guess.