PDA

View Full Version : Roger Clemens pays for not knowing the Constitution

Brian4Liberty
08-26-2010, 01:29 PM
When this ridiculous Congressional steroids witch-hunt was going on, many people bad-mouthed Mark McGwire for invoking his 5th Amendment right. Who has the last laugh now?

Roger Clemens, the Cy Young Award- winning pitcher accused of lying to Congress about his alleged steroid use, will be arraigned Aug. 30 in U.S. District Court in Washington, according to the case docket.

Clemens, 48, was indicted Aug. 19 by a federal grand jury on six counts, including obstruction of Congress, making false statements and perjury. Each charge carries as much as five years in prison. He is due to appear before U.S. District Judge Reggie Walton at 2 p.m. local time, the docket says.

The charges against the right-handed former Major League Baseball All-Star, known as “the Rocket,” came more than two years after he told a U.S. congressional committee that he had never used banned substances.

Those denials were contradicted by the testimony of his former trainer Brian McNamee and ex-teammate Andy Pettitte, lawmakers have said. McNamee testified that he injected Clemens 20 times with steroids and human growth hormone. Pettitte, who pitches for the New York Yankees, told the committee that Clemens admitted in 1999 or 2000 that he used HGH.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-08-26/roger-clemens-to-be-arraigned-aug-30-on-perjury-charge-court-docket-says.html

jmdrake
08-26-2010, 01:33 PM
Can someone give me a rational reason why with everything going on in our country and our world congress decided to investigate sports?

Krugerrand
08-26-2010, 01:35 PM
* witch hunt? Yes.
* should people be able to ingest/inject what they want? Yes.

I also don't like a system which allows rich people to break the laws and poor to get hammered by them. It's unwise to lie in congressional testimony if you are not a Federal Reserve banker. In my eyes, he's a cheater. I shed no tears for him.

I'd've rather he challenged the constitutional authority to ask the questions.

Krugerrand
08-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Can someone give me a rational reason why with everything going on in our country and our world congress decided to investigate sports?

It's for the children!

EDIT: sorry, I missed the "rational" part.

FrankRep
08-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Roger Clemens Should Plead the 10th!
http://www.tenthamendmentcenter.com/2010/08/25/roger-clemens-should-plead-the-10th/

Krugerrand
08-26-2010, 01:42 PM
http://www.tenthamendmentcenter.com/2010/08/25/roger-clemens-should-plead-the-10th/

Nice read.

jmdrake
08-26-2010, 01:54 PM
Nice read.

Agreed!

Anti Federalist
08-26-2010, 02:04 PM
People, this is required viewing!!!

Keep yourself out of jail, or end up like Clemens or Stewart or millions of other fellow mundanes.

YouTube - Don't Talk to Cops, Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik)

Brian4Liberty
08-26-2010, 03:06 PM

Great idea! Too bad he didn't do it. McGwire might have done it if somebody had given him the advise.

Mr. Chairman, I have read the Constitution and it does not grant you authority to hold a hearing on steroid use. Therefore, I will exercise my rights as an American citizen under the Tenth Amendment, and my natural rights as a human being, by refusing to answer your questions.

tnvoter
08-26-2010, 03:30 PM
When this ridiculous Congressional steroids witch-hunt was going on, many people bad-mouthed Mark McGwire for invoking his 5th Amendment right. Who has the last laugh now?

hahahaha

Yep.

Slutter McGee
08-26-2010, 03:35 PM
Hey, as unconstitutional as this is, at least Congress is wasting time and tax money with it rather than even more crappy laws.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Anti Federalist
08-26-2010, 09:35 PM
///

TCE
08-26-2010, 09:38 PM
* witch hunt? Yes.
* should people be able to ingest/inject what they want? Yes.

I also don't like a system which allows rich people to break the laws and poor to get hammered by them. It's unwise to lie in congressional testimony if you are not a Federal Reserve banker. In my eyes, he's a cheater. I shed no tears for him.

I'd've rather he challenged the constitutional authority to ask the questions.

It's a Major League Baseball rule and they have the right to enforce it, Congress does not have the right to. I disagree with you on the people should be able to ingest whatever they choose because of the MLB's rules on the subject. If a person doesn't like the rules, they don't have to play.

And I know I am nitpicking for the sake of it, but it is worth mentioning.

Jordan
08-26-2010, 09:47 PM
MLB is a monopoly so Congress has the right to regulate it.

getch36
08-26-2010, 10:08 PM
I think this whole thing is ridiculous.I also don't feel bad for that Asshole Clemens -he sucks and should have just shut up.

TCE
08-26-2010, 10:18 PM

Where in the Constitution does Congress have a right to regulate monopolies? Also, is it a government monopoly? Are any professional sports government-sponsored monopolies? I didn't think they were, but someone feel free to prove me wrong.

Rothbardian Girl
08-26-2010, 11:19 PM
It's a Major League Baseball rule and they have the right to enforce it, Congress does not have the right to. I disagree with you on the people should be able to ingest whatever they choose because of the MLB's rules on the subject. If a person doesn't like the rules, they don't have to play.

I was going to post the exact same thing. Thanks for bringing this up. Although it is very disappointing that the MLB doesn't keep a stricter watch on this kind of stuff, the league should be investigating this, not Congress. If people want to see a change in how the game of baseball is played nowadays, they ought to stop buying tickets. Unfortunately I think people have grown to expect too much, and baseball with fewer spectacular home runs (and maybe a decrease in pitching velocity) would probably be too "boring" to the typical baseball fan. Steroids will always be a part of the game and I've personally grown to accept this fact.

It has something to do with since Congress can regulate interstate commerce, they have granted MLB a legal monopoly and thus can regulate it based on this privilege.
Great, a monopoly regulating another monopoly. =\ It does seem a little odd though... it seems like a bit of a stretch to label MLB as something involving interstate commerce, but I'm not too knowledgeable about this kind of thing.

RCA
08-26-2010, 11:25 PM
Where in the Constitution does Congress have a right to regulate monopolies? Also, is it a government monopoly? Are any professional sports government-sponsored monopolies? I didn't think they were, but someone feel free to prove me wrong.

It has something to do with since Congress can regulate interstate commerce, they have granted MLB a legal monopoly and thus can regulate it based on this privilege.

Krugerrand
08-27-2010, 06:16 AM

I don't disagree and perhaps could have been more clear. As it relates to Congress ... people should be able to ingest whatever they want. I'm fine w/ MLB setting whatever rules they want. Ban Cheerios for all I care.

Krugerrand
08-27-2010, 06:20 AM

It shouldn't be a monopoly. Even so, I challenge Congress' "right to regulate" it.

AND... even to wrongly accept your premise, it does not give them the right to go after somebody for ingesting whatever they want, perhaps w/ the exception of for being a cheater.

torchbearer
08-27-2010, 06:30 AM
Hey, as unconstitutional as this is, at least Congress is wasting time and tax money with it rather than even more crappy laws.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

unfortunately, while this side show is going on, pelosi and company are passing laws without even voting on it.

Jordan
08-27-2010, 06:33 AM
It shouldn't be a monopoly. Even so, I challenge Congress' "right to regulate" it.

AND... even to wrongly accept your premise, it does not give them the right to go after somebody for ingesting whatever they want, perhaps w/ the exception of for being a cheater.

That's ok, I never said you had to agree with it.