PDA

View Full Version : Japan senior lawmaker: Americans are simple-minded

Marenco
08-25-2010, 11:01 PM
By MARI YAMAGUCHI, Associated Press Writer – Wed Aug 25, 11:41 am ET
TOKYO – A key figure in Japan's ruling party dubbed Americans "simple-minded" in a speech to fellow lawmakers Wednesday.
It was not clear what prompted the remarks by Democratic Party heavyweight Ichiro Ozawa at a political seminar, in which he otherwise paid tribute to Americans' commitment to democracy, saying it was something Japan should learn from.
"I like Americans, but they are somewhat monocellular," the former Democratic Party leader said. "When I talk with Americans, I often wonder why they are so simple-minded."
Ozawa didn't elaborate on what aspect of Americans made him compare them monocellular organisms, a term also used to mean shortsighted or dumb.
There is growing speculation that the 68-year-old former party leader — renowned as a backroom dealer and election strategist but unpopular among the wider public — may run against rival Prime Minister Naoto Kan in a Sept. 14 election for the party leadership.
Ozawa steered clear of that topic in his speech at the seminar to about 50 lawmakers from the party and dozens of other invitees. But later Wednesday he hinted he would, telling supporters his decision on whether to run would hopefully "respond to your expectations." He said he needed more time to make that decision.
Ozawa was forced to resign as party secretary-general in early June over a funding scandal, though he has denied any wrongdoing.
Despite the Democratic Party-led government's monthslong tussle with Washington over the planned relocation of a major U.S. military base in Okinawa — which has weakened public support for the government — Tokyo and Washington remain close allies, and Ozawa's comments on Americans did not appear geared at currying support within the party.
Ozawa, who advocates a U.S.-style two-party political system for Japan — which currently has a coalition government — praised Americans for electing President Barack Obama.
"I don't think Americans are very smart, but I give extremely high credit for democracy and choices by its people," he said. "They chose a black president for the first time in U.S. history," adding that he thought once that would never be possible.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100825/ap_on_re_as/as_japan_americans_1#mwpphu-container

james1906
08-25-2010, 11:05 PM
Ozawa, who advocates a U.S.-style two-party political system for Japan — which currently has a coalition government — praised Americans for electing President Barack Obama.

He sounds like a simpleton too. I wonder if Japan has a Jersey Shore equivalent that this guy watches regularly.

HOLLYWOOD
08-25-2010, 11:21 PM
He sounds like a simpleton too. I wonder if Japan has a Jersey Shore equivalent that this guy watches regularly.

Oh yes they do... plenty of Jersey Shore nonsense in Japan.

YouTube is loaded

libertythor
08-25-2010, 11:33 PM
The average IQ of the Japanese people exceeds that of the US by a few points, but it isn't enough to make it that significant. There are still plenty of dumb Japanese and smart Americans.

Eastern cultures in a way can be misconstrued as being a simplistic worship of authority. However, I do respect a lot of things about Japanese traditions, and I am amused and get good entertainment out of the idiosyncrasies.

crazyfacedjenkins
08-26-2010, 01:13 AM
Yet their government has ravaged their countries wealth. How does he account for the epic failure of the government that created the lost decade? Sounds pretty simple-minded to me. Otherwise I agree with him, Americans are fucking dumb.

Promontorium
08-26-2010, 01:50 AM
Friend in Japan posted this on Facebook. Didn't think it would be posted here. I proceeded to make fun of the Japanese and their inability to pronounce certain sounds.

"I fell down a well" might come out sounding like "I hayru done a wairu". That's right, knocking em down a peg.

When I finally came back to America, I started wearing a t-shirt I made that read "Ima, gaijin wa dare desu ka?" (Now, who's the foreigner?). There are a hell of a lot of Japanese tourists in San Diego.

paulim
08-26-2010, 01:58 AM
The average IQ of the Japanese people exceeds that of the US by a few points, but it isn't enough to make it that significant. There are still plenty of dumb Japanese and smart Americans.

Eastern cultures in a way can be misconstrued as being a simplistic worship of authority. However, I do respect a lot of things about Japanese traditions, and I am amused and get good entertainment out of the idiosyncrasies.

I don't think its about IQ.
I'm pretty sure it must be very disturbing for a japanese to see americans be fond of something like a huge shopping mall. As I see it, the average japanese needs more food for thought and less food. I'm no expert on the japanese political structure, as to know whether this works out better for them.

tasteless
08-26-2010, 02:33 AM
Yeah, well Japanese people have small penises

http://leeinchina.com/images/uploads/chinpokomon.png

Austrian Econ Disciple
08-26-2010, 05:18 AM
By MARI YAMAGUCHI, Associated Press Writer – Wed Aug 25, 11:41 am ET
TOKYO – A key figure in Japan's ruling party dubbed Americans "simple-minded" in a speech to fellow lawmakers Wednesday.
It was not clear what prompted the remarks by Democratic Party heavyweight Ichiro Ozawa at a political seminar, in which he otherwise paid tribute to Americans' commitment to democracy, saying it was something Japan should learn from.
"I like Americans, but they are somewhat monocellular," the former Democratic Party leader said. "When I talk with Americans, I often wonder why they are so simple-minded."
Ozawa didn't elaborate on what aspect of Americans made him compare them monocellular organisms, a term also used to mean shortsighted or dumb.
There is growing speculation that the 68-year-old former party leader — renowned as a backroom dealer and election strategist but unpopular among the wider public — may run against rival Prime Minister Naoto Kan in a Sept. 14 election for the party leadership.
Ozawa steered clear of that topic in his speech at the seminar to about 50 lawmakers from the party and dozens of other invitees. But later Wednesday he hinted he would, telling supporters his decision on whether to run would hopefully "respond to your expectations." He said he needed more time to make that decision.
Ozawa was forced to resign as party secretary-general in early June over a funding scandal, though he has denied any wrongdoing.
Despite the Democratic Party-led government's monthslong tussle with Washington over the planned relocation of a major U.S. military base in Okinawa — which has weakened public support for the government — Tokyo and Washington remain close allies, and Ozawa's comments on Americans did not appear geared at currying support within the party.
"I don't think Americans are very smart, but I give extremely high credit for democracy and choices by its people," he said. "They chose a black president for the first time in U.S. history," adding that he thought once that would never be possible.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100825/ap_on_re_as/as_japan_americans_1#mwpphu-container

Mr. Ozadontgiveafuck you are fucking stupid.

jmdrake
08-26-2010, 06:42 AM
Mr. Ozadontgiveafuck you are fucking stupid.

This. He picked out the one example of Americans being really stupid to praise that as a smart decision. Plus he wants Japan to become a "two party democracy". I guess he wishes his own people were easier to manipulate.

Jack Bauer
08-26-2010, 08:25 AM

YouTube - i have a bad case of diarrhea! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5l9gm4ymLw)

Japan produces over half of the world's weird.