PDA

View Full Version : August 24 Primaries Yield Big Results

FrankRep
08-25-2010, 04:06 PM
Yesterday’s national primaries proved among other things, that Sarah Palin’s political influence has not diminished and that Arizona Republican Senator John McCain’s dramatic transformation was sufficient enough for Arizona voters to feel confident in his leadership. By Raven Clabough

August 24 Primaries Yield Big Results (http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/usnews/politics/4409-august-24-primaries-yield-big-results)

Raven Clabough | The New American (http://www.thenewamerican.com/)
25 August 2010

Yesterday’s national primaries proved several things. First, Sarah Palin’s political influence has not diminished. Second, Arizona Republican Senator John McCain’s dramatic transformation (http://thenewamerican.com/index.php/usnews/politics/4384-senatorial-candidates-change-tunes-to-remain-competitive) was sufficient enough for Arizona voters to feel confident in his leadership. Above all, according to the Washington Post, the results proved that the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) “continues to be the bane of many Republican incumbents existence” — McCain, who voted for TARP in the October 2008 but voted against it in January 2009, being an exception.

All five of the candidates endorsed by Sarah Palin were victorious yesterday, most notably senatorial candidate Joe Miller, who defeated Alaska Senator Lisa Murkowski with 98 percent of the precincts reporting. According to the Washington Post, this was the “biggest upset in the 2010 cycle to date.” Both Miller and Murkowski attributed the results to Sarah Palin’s influence. As reported in the Post, the outcome indicates, “In Republican primaries — particularly small turnout affairs — the energy and enthusiasm that Palin can help create is invaluable.”

Palin’s endorsement was not the only obstacle with which Murkowski had to contend, however. Murkowski’s vote for TARP is believed to have permanently tarnished her reputation with Republican voters.

The Post states that the TARP vote hurt Murkowski “in much the same way that the vote damaged Senator Bob Bennett (R-Utah), South Carolina Rep. Gresham Barrett and a slew of other Republicans in their campaigns this year.”

McCain’s victory yesterday was predictable, but wasn’t always. Just months ago, McCain’s victory was all but certain and for a period of time, McCain lagged behind his contender, the more conservative J.D. Hayworth. Last night told a different story, however. By the time 11 percent of the precincts reported, McCain held a large lead, 59 percent to 29 percent, prompting the Associated Press to call McCain’s victory. He will face off against Tucson City Councilman Rodney Glassman in November, but Congressional Quarterly predicts McCain’s victory will be a landslide. “Catching McCain will be difficult for any Democrat in Republican-leaning Arizona, which hasn’t elected a Democrat to the Senate since 1988.”

In addition to McCain, a variety of notable candidates came forth victoriously in yesterday’s Arizona primaries. Arizona’s Republican primary showed an upset victory for Jesse Kelly who defeated establishment favorite Jonathon Paton for the eighth congressional district. Kelly will be contending with Democrat Gabrielle Giffords in the Fall. Likewise, Ben Quayle, son of former Vice President Dan Quayle, won the Republican nomination for the third congressional seat after a 10 way primary. Quayle now competes with Democrat Jon Hulburd to replace Representative John Shadegg, who is retiring.

There were several other distinguished victories last night worth mentioning.

In Florida, Rick Scott edged out Attorney General Bill McCollum in the Republican primary for the gubernatorial election after spending $50 million of his own money. Scott will run against Alex Sink in the fall.

Vermont’s Lieutenant Governor, Republican Brian Dubie, remains uncertain as to who he will be up against in November, since the Democratic primary showed all three candidates within 1,000 votes of each other, likely resulting in a necessary recount.

One thing is for certain: The 10 weeks leading up to November 2 should prove to be exciting.

SOURCE:
http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/usnews/politics/4409-august-24-primaries-yield-big-results

heavenlyboy34
08-25-2010, 04:08 PM
IOW, they can talk the talk, but I doubt they'll back it up with action-as history indicates (especially with McShame).

Stary Hickory
08-25-2010, 05:29 PM
I am looking for a Repeal of Obamacare. The GOP can give me this and this is paramount right now. They are also more likely to challenge the FED as a whole. Two issues I really care about and now the the wars are winding down and the GOP realizing Iraq was a huge mistake and having sworn off Afghanistan as Obama's war it's looking better.

Still have to challenge Neocons and social conservatives in every primary. Have to whittle them down.

Austrian Econ Disciple
08-25-2010, 05:53 PM
I am looking for a Repeal of Obamacare. The GOP can give me this and this is paramount right now. They are also more likely to challenge the FED as a whole. Two issues I really care about and now the the wars are winding down and the GOP realizing Iraq was a huge mistake and having sworn off Afghanistan as Obama's war it's looking better.

Still have to challenge Neocons and social conservatives in every primary. Have to whittle them down.

Yep just like the GOP was going to repeal the Department of Education, the Department of Energy, etc. etc. Medicare D? GOP. Challenge the Fed? Bye-Bye Paul we have dismantled your sub-committee so you aren't ranking chairman (Financial). I could go on and on. The GOP aren't realizing that Iraq was a mistake. They are contrarian partisans to the nth degree. Maybe I'll change my mind once a majority of the GOP espouses views like Walter Jones and Ron Paul, but other than that we are the slimmest of minorities in the GOP.

Obamacare won't get repealed at the Federal Level. I'll bet you my lives savings. We won a few seats, but not nearly enough.

libertybrewcity
08-25-2010, 06:29 PM
Yep just like the GOP was going to repeal the Department of Education, the Department of Energy, etc. etc. Medicare D? GOP. Challenge the Fed? Bye-Bye Paul we have dismantled your sub-committee so you aren't ranking chairman (Financial). I could go on and on. The GOP aren't realizing that Iraq was a mistake. They are contrarian partisans to the nth degree. Maybe I'll change my mind once a majority of the GOP espouses views like Walter Jones and Ron Paul, but other than that we are the slimmest of minorities in the GOP.

Obamacare won't get repealed at the Federal Level. I'll bet you my lives savings. We won a few seats, but not nearly enough.

Hey, it is a very good start for having very very limited resources. Incumbents are nearly impossible to beat. In most years, the incumbent reelection rate has been more than 95%. So, to kick out many SENATORS is absolutely incredible.

I am looking forward to having at least a small block of sane senators and voting in more in the future.

Brian4Liberty
08-25-2010, 07:39 PM
Likewise, Ben Quayle, son of former Vice President Dan Quayle, won the Republican nomination for the third congressional seat after a 10 way primary.

Lol! That's good news? Who wrote this article, Bill Kristol? Father Quayle was nothing but a neo-stooge just like McCain. The son is probably no different. When the kid gets 15 minutes of prime coverage on NBC's Good Morning America right before the election, you know he's a puppet.

FrankRep
08-25-2010, 07:48 PM
Lol! That's good news? Who wrote this article, Bill Kristol? Father Quayle was nothing but a neo-stooge just like McCain. The son is probably no different. When the kid gets 15 minutes of prime coverage on NBC's Good Morning America right before the election, you know he's a puppet.

Ben Quayle fails on foreign policy, but he seems alright otherwise.

Brett85
08-25-2010, 07:52 PM

Rand Paul and Justin Amash are both social conservatives. Do you want to whittle them down too?

Brian4Liberty
08-25-2010, 07:56 PM
Ben Quayle fails on foreign policy, but he seems alright otherwise.

And how is he different from a neo-conservative (especially considering he just fell out of their nest)?

There were 9 other candidates in the Primary, were they all neo-conservatives?

FrankRep
08-25-2010, 08:00 PM
And how is he different from a neo-conservative (especially considering he just fell out of their nest)?

Defining Terms: What is a Neoconservative (Neocon)?
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=257106

Ben Quayle's pro-interventionist views will certainly help the Neoconservative cause, I'll admit.
I'll have to do some deep research into his background to see where his loyalties are.

Brian4Liberty
08-25-2010, 09:31 PM
Ben Quayle's pro-interventionist views will certainly help the Neoconservative cause, I'll admit.
I'll have to do some deep research into his background to see where his loyalties are.

He grew up practically in the Bush Whitehouse. Bill Kristol was his father's campaign manager and adviser. The mainstream media (NBC no less) gave him a big story right before the Primary election. If you have both NBC and Shawn Hannity cheering for you, you are probably a neo-conservative.

TCE
08-25-2010, 10:06 PM
Rand Paul and Justin Amash are both social conservatives. Do you want to whittle them down too?

They are much more the definition of "conservative" than social conservatives. Amash and Rand both want to shrink government in virtually every way, as shown by Rand's issues page and Amash's constant lone No votes in the Michigan Legislature.