PDA

View Full Version : EPA considering ban on lead-based ammunition?

Lucille
08-25-2010, 03:57 PM
These tyrannical bureaucracies MUST GO.

HotAir: EPA considering ban on lead-based ammunition? (http://hotair.com/archives/2010/08/25/epa-considering-ban-on-lead-based-ammunition/)

Via Mark Hemingway. Hey, if air is an environmental hazard worthy of federal regulation, surely bullets are too, no?

I could sit here for a week and not come up with an issue more likely to make already vulnerable House Dems wet themselves than this one, assuming that the EPA acts on it. Which, I’m guessing, they won’t.

NSSF is springing into action, as the public comment period opens on EPA considering a regulation that will ban all traditional lead ammunition. This would basically end the shooting sports as we know it. Remember this is a no-win situation for us, because bullets made of materials other than lead are often considered armor piercing by law. Copper is your basic material, and copper is expensive, and has much poorer performance properties than lead.

As NSSF has pointed out, there’s no real scientific basis for restricting lead ammunition. Just about all shooting ranges at this point are recycling their lead (it’s too valuable to just leave in the ground). California’s ban has not been shown to reduce lead levels in Condors, and has driven more people away from hunting. Additionally, it’s interfered with lawful self-protection in parts of California that are considered condor habitat.

Here’s the site where you can read the official petition, leave a comment, etc. The date the comment period ends? Two days before the midterms. Worst-case scenario here: The EPA announces the ban, thereby instantly causing a stampede of Blue Dogs from rural districts down Pennsylvania Avenue so that they can pass a bill overriding it. (If the ban comes next year, our new Republican House — and Senate? — will take care of it, natch.) Then it’s on to The One’s desk for signature, and rest assured, with his eye on 2012 and knowing that he’ll need western and midwestern states to win, he will sign it. Maybe even with a smiley face as the “O.” Damn, I love wedge issues.

Dr.3D
08-25-2010, 04:08 PM
So are they going to make it illegal to melt down a lead acid battery and pour our own bullets?

They would just cause another black market to open up.

oyarde
08-25-2010, 04:16 PM
I have been having to use steel shot to hunt waterfowl for years. It is required. It is a little faster out of the gate , but the range is not as good as the lead shot. The patterns are ok , but they do pattern differently than lead , so you have to experiment with what choke to use on the shotgun.

Dr.3D
08-25-2010, 04:21 PM
There is such a thing as lead-free solder. It's a wonder the metal used in that hasn't been used as a substitute for lead shot and bullets.

Anti Federalist
08-25-2010, 04:26 PM
Remember this is a no-win situation for us, because bullets made of materials other than lead are often considered armor piercing by law. Copper is your basic material, and copper is expensive, and has much poorer performance properties than lead.

Back door gun ban.

These fuckers just never stop, they never give up, they never quit.

It's like playing Whack a Mole for fuck's sake. :mad::mad::mad:

oyarde
08-25-2010, 04:27 PM
There is such a thing as lead-free solder. It's a wonder the metal used in that hasn't been used as a substitute for lead shot and bullets.

All of the acceptable substitutes are much more expensive. Bismuth ... etc.

Jack Bauer
08-25-2010, 04:28 PM
Will it also be illegal for the police?

Dr.3D
08-25-2010, 04:40 PM
All of the acceptable substitutes are much more expensive. Bismuth ... etc.

So the price of ammo goes up... we will still be able to buy it. If they want to play games, and make the price of ammo go up, then the suppliers will have to find a substitute.

oyarde
08-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Back door gun ban.

Whack a Mole is about right. If the substitute metal does not weigh the same ( less ) , you will have reduced range.

Dr.3D
08-25-2010, 04:48 PM
Whack a Mole is about right. If the substitute metal does not weigh the same ( less ) , you will have reduced range.

Just mix a little DU with it and everything should be fine. :D

Maybe Fort Knox has enough tungsten to use as a substitute.

Danke
08-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Are they gonna ban DU too?

phill4paul
08-25-2010, 04:53 PM
Back door gun ban.

No. No they don't.

The only reason is because they can keep bringing their agendas forward without blow back.

If they fail then fine. They don't lose their jobs. They just leave it for someone else 2 or 3 years down the road to try the same shit.

So if some one works for the government. Not elected but still is an employee then that individual works for the people.

NRA. GOA.

Petitions to FIRE any individual writing up this kinda bullshit?

Where do I sign?

If "We the People" are supposed to control the elected body then "We the People" should control who works for the elected bodies and undermines the Constitution.

Dr.3D
08-25-2010, 04:53 PM
Are they gonna ban DU too?

If they do, they might be able to use the tungsten from Fort Knox to make bullets. LOL

dannno
08-25-2010, 04:59 PM
Will it also be illegal for the police?

If they do use lead, they'll probably switch to the illegal armor piercing stuff and raise our taxes to pay for it.

Anti Federalist
08-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Wait, help me out here folks...

Wasn't there some piece of legislation passed during the Bush days that was supposed to prevent this, it prohibited EPA specifically from banning lead in ammo?

I know I recall NRA blowing it's horn about such a "victory"...

Anti Federalist
08-25-2010, 05:13 PM
Yeah, I thought this was the case.

EPA is prohibited from regulating ammo.

http://www.nraila.org/media/PDFs/EPACBDpetition.pdf

Stary Hickory
08-25-2010, 05:31 PM
We need a serious war against all 3 letter government agencies. They are ridiculous. I predict this will be shot down. When you get shot the composition of the metal in the bullet is the least of your worries.

Of course if you eat the frickin bullets it might kill you, then again maybe you deserve to die if you do this.