PDA

View Full Version : Connecticut school system considers tracking students with RFID chips.

Anti Federalist
08-25-2010, 03:14 PM
Yeah, like I'm surprised I saw this coming.

And every time one of these horrid new Big Brother schemes come along, you'll find the Feds and the military/surveillance complex funding it.

Tar and feathers are really too good for them...:mad:

New Canaan Considers Tracking Devices for Students

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local-beat/New-Canaan-Considers-Tracking-Students--101302154.html

In the tony town of New Canaan, students might someday get tracking tags along with their textbooks.

No decisions have yet been made, but school officials plan to look into the possibility of adding radio frequency tags to student or staff ID cards, or place them on school property, like laptops, the New Canaan Advertiser reports.

The company that makes the devices is SecureRF Corporation, based in Westport. It has applied for a $100,000 grant from the National Science Foundation to conduct science research and wants New Canaan High School to use the technology, the Advertiser reports.

“We are looking to test this technology with a partner,” SecureRF’s founder and chief executive officer Louis Parks Parks said during a school board meeting last week. “The primary role we are looking for from you is the feedback and input.”

The technology could be used to track people within the school, something district transportation coordinator Roy Walder said could help during an emergency, such as a fire or a school-wide evacuation, the Advertiser reports, and tracking who is coming and going from the open campus.

Of course, parents might not be thrilled about placing a tracking device on their children, Jim Kucharczyk, a board member, said.

“I can perceive parents would have an issue with tracking kids through the school and through town. … There’s a big difference between putting this on the school bus or putting it on backpacks or an ID card,” Kucharczyk said.

Student involvement would be voluntary and parents would have to agree to it, Supt. Dr. David Abbey, told the Advertiser.

So far, school board members decided only to explore the idea but they’d need more details before agreeing to participate.

Walder said there might be a potential to expand the technology to school buses to track who’s using them and reduce budget costs.

The school board will get another report in a few weeks.

Slutter McGee
08-25-2010, 03:58 PM
And it happens again. When will people realize that it doesn't matter your good intentions. Creating something with such a massive potential for abuse will eventually be abused.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Danke
08-25-2010, 04:07 PM
What will they think of next, spying on students using the laptop camera? ...nvm.

Anti Federalist
08-25-2010, 04:23 PM
And it happens again. When will people realize that it doesn't matter your good intentions. Creating something with such a massive potential for abuse will eventually be abused.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Imma onna rolla...

What will they think of next, spying on students using the laptop camera? ...nvm.

Yeah, imagine the outrage, spying on the kids with school laptops...

Uh, oh yeah, yer right...:mad:

phill4paul
08-25-2010, 04:29 PM
There is no more "WTF :eek:" in me.

It has been used up.

I've exceeded that limit.

I won't really expound on that except to say that I have.

Anti Federalist
08-25-2010, 04:33 PM
There is no more "WTF :eek:" in me.

It has been used up.

I've exceeded that limit.

I won't really expound on that except to say that I have.

That made me LOL...yeah, I find my supply of WTF, WTH and "You gotta be shitting me" has dried up as well.

phill4paul
08-25-2010, 04:41 PM
That made me LOL...yeah, I find my supply of WTF, WTH and "You gotta be shitting me" has dried up as well.

Well that's two.

We are gonna need a fuckload more.

Fuckload

English
[edit] Etymology

From fuck + load
[edit] Noun

fuckload (plural fuckloads)

1. (vulgar, slang) An indeterminate but large number.

We're getting a fuckload of complaints about that product.

* (large number): shedload, shitload

Danke
08-25-2010, 04:46 PM

I used all mine up too... from the photos you post.

MelissaWV
08-25-2010, 04:53 PM
If this were a private school funded with private money, I wouldn't have a problem with the school putting chips in their property and disclosing it. It's not privately-funded, though. It's tax money being put forth to track kiddos around in schools that many of them have little or no choice about. I thought school districts were broke? Weren't there a bunch of teachers and administrators whining there was no money for anything?

Then how on God's green-and-blue earth is there money for something like this?!

phill4paul
08-25-2010, 04:56 PM
If this were a private school funded with private money, I wouldn't have a problem with the school putting chips in their property and disclosing it. It's not privately-funded, though. It's tax money being put forth to track kiddos around in schools that many of them have little or no choice about. I thought school districts were broke? Weren't there a bunch of teachers and administrators whining there was no money for anything?

Then how on God's green-and-blue earth is there money for something like this?!

I don't know Melissa. I would wager that it is through a federal grant though.

Promontorium
08-25-2010, 04:58 PM
"tracking who is coming and going from the open campus."

The way this is phrased makes it a lie.

The intended deception is to make people think this will somehow track unwelcome people, by calling it an "open" campus.

Just like most civil rights violating laws, really the only people affected are the good people. 10,000 rapists could storm the open campus, the tracking devices will be fucking useless.

Anti Federalist
08-25-2010, 05:00 PM
I used all mine up too... from the photos you post.

Prude.

Puritan.

Priss.

<<<< On his way to post a pic of the fattest Wal Marx girl he can find.

MelissaWV
08-25-2010, 05:02 PM
Yep... I was right...

http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/145-layoffs-possible-in-Shelton-school-budget-504210.php

In addition to the elimination of 145 jobs -- 72 of them, certified teachers -- the school board's plans include raising $370,000 through a "pay-to-perform" fee for students to take part in sports and other activities.

A $400 fee per sport was suggested, with a $750 cap per family.

But the fee also is subject to change, Walsh said, depending on whether other funding can be freed from other line items in the budget. But either way, the $370,000 has to come from somewhere, he said.

http://www.theday.com/article/20100614/NWS01/306149991/1018

In May, the state Department of Public Safety announced that the school resource officer program will be suspended as of July 1 in an effort to save $1.2 million.

The 19 troopers across the state who are school resource officers will be reassigned to patrol responsibilities, according to state police spokesman Lt. J. Paul Vance. The projected savings will primarily come from a decrease in overtime expenses for patrol units, he said.

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/new_london_cty/school-budget-crunch

In Wallingford, there is a $8.5 million budget hole for the 2010-11 school year. According to the Record Journal, the superintendent plans to lay off more than 55 teachers, eliminate 117 full and part-time positions and charge high school students to play sports. After-school programs at the middle school would also be cut and the school year would be reduced by three days.

In Bristol, they are facing a $6 million deficit. The nearly 100-year old Clarence Bingham School may close at the end of the year, transferring staff and students to other elementary schools. The move would save about $750,000. Bristol is in danger of losing $3 million in state funding and $1 million in federal funding. Meanwhile, rising insurance and other expenses will create about $3 million in new costs for 2010-2011.

***Mind you, I think a lot of that stuff should be cut... and there's a lot more that can be cut, but for a state complaining so often and loudly about all the sacrifices they have to make, even considering this bullshit is facepalm-worthy.

Anti Federalist
08-25-2010, 05:03 PM
I don't know Melissa. I would wager that it is through a federal grant though.

Yah, in the story.

NSF is funding the study.

NSF=DARPA=the military/surveillance complex.

QueenB4Liberty
08-25-2010, 05:57 PM

I could've sworn that's happened before. :confused:

Anti Federalist
08-25-2010, 08:23 PM
///