PDA

View Full Version : Government trying to destroy E-cigarette companies

TheBlackPeterSchiff
08-25-2010, 01:54 PM
By DAVID KESMODEL And DANNY YADRON

ELMHURST, Ill.—Victoria Vasconcellos, the petite founder of an Internet retailer in this Chicago suburb, is in the thick of a regulatory battle that could affect millions of American cigarette smokers.

Ms. Vasconcellos imports electronic cigarettes from a Chinese manufacturer and sells them on her website, Cignot.com, to 14,000 customers. The 48-year-old is part of a growing legion of e-cigarette purveyors who are defying the Food and Drug Administration, which contends the nascent nicotine products are drug devices that require pre-market approval and may pose their own health risks. The FDA began intercepting shipments of the products from China two years ago.

E-cigarettes are battery-powered tubes that turn nicotine-laced liquid into a vapor mist. Sellers say they are potentially less harmful than cigarettes because they don't have the toxins of burning tobacco. A growing number of people who use them say they are an effective way to quit smoking.

The future of the fledgling industry—estimated at $100 million in annual sales and rising—may hinge on the outcome of a case scheduled for oral arguments before a federal appellate court in Washington, D.C., next month. The FDA is fighting to regulate the products as drug-delivery devices, similar to nicotine gums, patches or other nicotine-replacement products. Such a classification would subject e-cigarettes to lengthy and expensive trials to prove they are safe and effective.
Journal Community

But many e-cigarette companies argue that their products are designed to be recreational alternatives to cigarettes, not devices to wean people off nicotine. They say they couldn't afford the high cost of clinical trials, and that any such mandate would drive many of them out of business or force the industry to go underground.

Continue: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704557704575437710870116450.html?m od=WSJ_hpp_LEFTTopStories

Wonder if this has to do with health, the fact that the government isn't making billions off cig taxes and tobacco company lobbyist? Hmmm

Lucille
08-25-2010, 02:12 PM
A few years back (2008?) the FDA said they were perfectly safe and had no interest in them at all. I guess Big Tobacco got to them.

I like the Joye 510 myself, and buy from http://strictlyejuice.com/.

Matt Collins
08-25-2010, 02:32 PM
I know someone who sells synthetic pot (which to their understanding is perfectly legal) and they said the government is coming after them trying to stop them from selling it.

ronpaulhawaii
08-25-2010, 02:40 PM
I know someone who sells synthetic pot (which to their understanding is perfectly legal) and they said the government is coming after them trying to stop them from selling it.

States are starting to make the synthetic pot illegal...

Yeah, the e-cig crackdown looks suspiciously profit driven...

I switched to e-cigs a while back, and am much happier for it...

TheBlackPeterSchiff
08-25-2010, 02:50 PM

Already illegal here in Louisiana.

Now some of the local corner stores are giving them away and kids are selling it on the street for profit. Crazy how they've taken a perfectly legal and harmless thing and turned it to a black market product that you can go to jail for. smfh

phill4paul
08-25-2010, 02:53 PM
For those that have tried them what are your thoughts?

When you inhale the vapor does it dissipate in your lungs or do you expel some of it?

Is there a tobacco taste?

What are the reasons you prefer to e-smoke over real tobacco? What do you miss about real tobacco now that you have found e-smoke?

Just curious. I RYO American Spirit, but have been thinking of going e-cig.

ronpaulhawaii
08-25-2010, 03:09 PM

When you inhale the vapor does it dissipate in your lungs or do you expel some of it?

What are the reasons you prefer to e-smoke over real tobacco? What do you miss about real tobacco now that you have found e-smoke?

The amount of vapor depends on how much you draw in, and what type of juice. I can blow smoke rings...

I tested a few different flavors/strengths before finding the closest match to my brand.

One prime reason is there is no residual smell. No ash, no butts, no mess. I can smoke in house and cars with most non-smokers... At the moment it is much cheaper, and finally, it just feels less toxic...

phill4paul
08-25-2010, 03:17 PM
The amount of vapor depends on how much you draw in, and what type of juice. I can blow smoke rings...

I tested a few different flavors/strengths before finding the closest match to my brand.

One prime reason is there is no residual smell. No ash, no butts, no mess. I can smoke in house and cars with most non-smokers... At the moment it is much cheaper, and finally, it just feels less toxic...

Wow. :eek:

I think it would be worth it to invest. What brand do you use? Do they have a full flavor (non-filter)?

I could see were it might be a great alternative then just smoke the RYO at home in the evenings.

You say that it is cheaper. RYO gets me pretty far for around $21 a week were as if I smoked pre-rolled it would run about $40. Are e-cigs cheaper after the up front cost?

Lucille
08-25-2010, 03:34 PM

What Hawaii said.

The place I buy mine from have starter kits on sale for $34.95 (https://strictlyejuice.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=63_45) (but they seem to be out of stock. You might call them). They say each cartridge is equivalent to one pack (give or take, depending on the person) and it comes with 5 cartridges. You can buy your own juice after, which is even cheaper. Great customer service there, and probably the least expensive around.

I like the manual over the auto b/c the battery last longer. Like I said, the Joye 510 is my fave, and by far the most popular e-cig on the market. After I hated my first, I visited a lot of e-cig forums and watched youtube vids to help me decide which one to try next.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/

ronpaulhawaii
08-25-2010, 03:48 PM
Wow. :eek:

I think it would be worth it to invest. What brand do you use? Do they have a full flavor (non-filter)?

I could see were it might be a great alternative then just smoke the RYO at home in the evenings.

You say that it is cheaper. RYO gets me pretty far for around $21 a week were as if I smoked pre-rolled it would run about $40. Are e-cigs cheaper after the up front cost?

I use a brand called Vapor 4 Life. It uses cartridges called cartomizers. They come in different strengths which would correspond to lite/filter/non-filter. I used to smoke Drum, but had switched to Winston earlier. I found Kamel24s to be the closest thing to what I was smoking when trying these out.

These forums http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ are quite active and there is lots of experimentation going on. (You'l find a sub-forum for V4L) I have refilled a cart, or two, but am still mainly buying new carts. They come out to about $2 a pack, but because I can draw a cloud at any time, without smoking a whole cig, I find the carts last longer than a pack had previously...

They make all kinds. Read some in those forums... I'm starting to think that an easily refillable "pipe?" might be best for home use, and using my present set-up for going out.

The ability to pull it out of my pocket, take a drag, and put it right back in my pocket can be priceless when out door knocking/etc.

specsaregood
08-25-2010, 04:05 PM
//

jmdrake
08-25-2010, 04:11 PM
If all smokers go to "e-cigarettes" that kills the whole "ban secondhand smoke" campaign. It's better to let people die from secondhand smoke than take away an avenue of government regulation.

phill4paul
08-25-2010, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the link Lucille and RPH. I might give these E-cigs a try.

I just love my RYO. I set them down. I can walk away for 5 minutes then come back and pull oxygen to start them again. If I'm away longer then I simply relight them.

Real cigarettes, RYO, are practically a ceremony for me.

So thanks for the info. I might give the e-cigs a try for "public establishments."

Rael
08-25-2010, 05:04 PM
They don't like e-cigs because they will lose tax dollars from real cigarettes.

Lucille
01-20-2011, 02:06 PM
I ordered some VG juice (as opposed to PG) from Cignot (h/t Knappster) (http://knappster.blogspot.com/2010/10/mini-review-cignot.html) and it came yesterday. It does produce more vapor. I ordered the French Pipe flavor, and it's my favorite so far!