PDA

View Full Version : When the primaries come, are young people really going to VOTE for RP?

Noog
10-16-2007, 08:02 PM
"About 47 percent of Americans 18-24 voted in 2004, up from 36 percent in 2000, according to the Census Bureau." (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/10/AR2006061000888.html)

I see a lot of young enthusiasm for Dr. Paul. I just hope they are motived enough to register and vote. Let all the young people you know how much we are relying on them.

steph3n
10-16-2007, 08:03 PM
I am at the top end of that range and certainly am voting!

twister5400
10-16-2007, 08:04 PM
i'm not even getting an absentee ballot. i will not be at school that day. i will be driving back home, in order to go to the poles. i will be doing everything that I can to promote ron paul everywhere that day and the days preceeding...

Qiu
10-16-2007, 08:05 PM
I think it's safe to say that other campaigns need to worry more about their supporters' enthusiasm than ours. We consistently over-represent the 4% in Gallup at straw polls.

fj45lvr
10-16-2007, 08:07 PM
Well do these young people clean their rooms, do their homework on time, eat right.....

there is probably a reason why that demographic doesn't show up very much in the voting booth (and actually it is a real relief to me....can you just imagine if "Rock the Vote" actually did work!!!! )

I think we deserve more BASIS than whether a Rock Star or Hollywood movie star says something is GOOD...maybe some actual sound reasoning to back up all that BLING.

OptionsTrader
10-16-2007, 08:08 PM
Look at the boots on the ground at the straw polls and the 2000-2500 at the Michigan rally.

You better damn believe they will vote.

RP08
10-16-2007, 08:10 PM
I'm also tapping the upper end of that, and changed registration to Republican in order to vote in our primaries, for the first time in 15 years + of voting.

michaelwise
10-16-2007, 08:12 PM
Do they know, the ones away at school, out of state, need to get an absentee ballot?

Delaware
10-16-2007, 08:14 PM
I'm 18 and already registered to vote, looking forward to my first vote, for Ron Paul of course.

koob
10-16-2007, 08:15 PM
i'm 18. i'm a bigtime procrastinator. i registered to vote. i put it off for awhile, but i finally did last week because i realized that dr paul's getting my vote is very important. i also think that unlike supporters of other candidates--on both sides of the aisle--every single person who supports ron paul WILL go out and vote for him. even let's say obama. he's basically a black political rock star. young people support him because it's just the 'thing to do'. but will they actually go vote for him? ron paul supporters realize the the country needs a major change. that's why i registered to vote and why i'll be there when the michigan primary comes.

hopeforamerica
10-16-2007, 08:16 PM
i'm 18. i'm a bigtime procrastinator. i registered to vote. i put it off for awhile, but i finally did last week because i realized that dr paul's getting my vote is very important. i also think that unlike supporters of other candidates--on both sides of the aisle--every single person who supports ron paul WILL go out and vote for him. even let's say obama. he's basically a black political rock star. young people support him because it's just the 'thing to do'. but will they actually go vote for him? ron paul supporters realize the the country needs a major change. that's why i registered to vote and why i'll be there when the michigan primary comes.

Well said, and this 42 year old agrees with you.

EvilEngineer
10-16-2007, 08:26 PM
I'm 24, and I'll defiantly be there. In 2000 election I was too young to vote, and by 2004 Texas was a guaranteed red state, so I didn't even bother voting. This is the first time I'll actually have a choice in an election! I'm stoked.

madcat033
10-16-2007, 08:28 PM
this young person is going to vote.

kylejack
10-16-2007, 08:29 PM
Many campaigns have expected youth to deliver. Many campaigns have been very disappointed. Don't depend on youth too heavily. We all hope, but history is not kind, from George McGovern to Howard Dean.

Shellshock1918
10-16-2007, 08:34 PM
im 20 and I'll definitely be voting come primary day.

steph3n
10-16-2007, 08:36 PM
Many campaigns have expected youth to deliver. Many campaigns have been very disappointed. Don't depend on youth too heavily. We all hope, but history is not kind, from George McGovern to Howard Dean.

very true, I hope we can prove that wrong!

Phil M
10-16-2007, 08:44 PM
I'm 17 and won't be 18 until July, but I believe I'm still eligible to vote in the Minnesota Caucus. Not only will I definitely vote (still have to register, but I have the form), but I'm going to force my nominally anti-war Republican dad and politically ignorant mom to do so also.

CasualApathy
10-16-2007, 08:48 PM

And once again the pessimist speaks :rolleyes:

Ron Paul is no Howard Dean, he is unlike anything.

Ninja Homer
10-16-2007, 08:57 PM
I think there are a lot of similarities between Ron Paul's campaign and Jesse Ventura's campaign for governor. Read this article, you'll like it:
http://www.politicsonline.com/coverage/nytimes2/06campaign.html

Here's a highlight from it:

Ventura brought out young voters in droves in an election with a 61 percent turnout -- well above the national rate of 37 percent. According to exit polls conducted by the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, 16 percent of voters were age 18 to 29, and 46 percent of those voters cast ballots for Ventura. In raw numbers, nearly 150,000 voters age 18 to 29 voted for Ventura, who won by just 57,000 votes.

speciallyblend
10-16-2007, 09:13 PM
I'm 17 and won't be 18 until July, but I believe I'm still eligible to vote in the Minnesota Caucus. Not only will I definitely vote (still have to register, but I have the form), but I'm going to force my nominally anti-war Republican dad and politically ignorant mom to do so also.

Well just show them your passion for Ron Paul and then hopefully some you tube videos. www.ronpaul2008.com should do the rest;) I'm sure they will come along eventually:)

Me and my Wife are 39yrs old(though we snowboard 125-150 days a year:). We have a 19yr old that is going to vote.We hope she is voting for Ron Paul.(I have my wife trying to find out who she is going to vote for,but she knows we are Ron Paul supporters;) :) I figure if she isnt going to vote for Ron Paul,we can boot her out so she can pay her own bills;) hehe just teasin well maybe;) I also have my anti war parents voting for Ron Paul,they were democrats but are voting for RON PAUL:)

I know this none of us or our friends are going to vote republican unless its Ron Paul. so in my eyes the Gop is dead in the water,unless they nominate Ron Paul.

Ron Paul 2008:D

mavtek
10-16-2007, 09:13 PM
31 and never voted before, I'll be there for Ron Paul as will several others I've convinced.

PrimarilyPaul
10-16-2007, 10:04 PM
They better or the creation of my website was all in vain.

kylejack
10-16-2007, 10:13 PM
And once again the pessimist speaks :rolleyes:

Ron Paul is no Howard Dean, he is unlike anything.
I am a realist. If you can find any election that had high youth turnout, let me know. George McGovern was a true idealist, and had many young supporters. They didn't turn out in great numbers on election day. We have to be realistic. Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

"Yeah, we 'rocked the vote' all right. Those little bastards betrayed us again."
-Hunter S. Thompson, 2004

StumbleBum7
10-16-2007, 10:14 PM
im 18, and voting

saku39
10-16-2007, 10:17 PM
I'm voting no matter what. Of course, I would prefer if everybody voted for him.

But even if I'm the only that votes for him, I don't care-- Because he's my man. He's my candidate. He's the guy I want to be president.

And to answer the question: Yes, I think young people will vote for him. I think all kinds of people will vote for Dr Paul.

AFTFNJ
10-16-2007, 10:22 PM
I am the youngest one in my family (26) & I am going to take family & friends to vote for RP come the primaries...its not going to be a choice ..going to round them up & take them :D They already know Ron Paul is the best thing since Andrew Jackson....

Ninja Homer
10-16-2007, 10:23 PM
I am a realist. If you can find any election that had high youth turnout, let me know. George McGovern was a true idealist, and had many young supporters. They didn't turn out in great numbers on election day. We have to be realistic. Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

"Yeah, we 'rocked the vote' all right. Those little bastards betrayed us again."
-Hunter S. Thompson, 2004

I gave you one. See my post on page 2 of this thread.

Why do pessimists always refer to themselves as realistic? Try a little optimism, it'll change your life. Expect the best, create a plan that will give you the best.

kylejack
10-16-2007, 10:26 PM
National election, please.

paulitics
10-16-2007, 10:34 PM
I'm a realist too. You'd be surprised at how that will get you further ahead than head in the clouds optimism. It makes you work harder to overcome obstacles and weaknesses.

justinc.1089
10-16-2007, 10:34 PM
I'm kind of unsure about most young people voting as well. I'm 18 myself, and I am dead set on voting for Paul, and nothing will stop me from doing so, but most people around my age just don't care. Its like they think America will just stay nice and free and good forever and ever because its America.

I think the young vote is a risky thing to need to rely on. I'm thinking Paul will get them like Ventura did, but the youth does fail most politicians in voting.

But again the point here is to make sure you get involved and encourage those younger people to vote constantly. Talk is cheap, but work is expensive, just ask any candidate having to pay for what Paul is getting voluntarily.

spivey378
10-16-2007, 11:09 PM
need to hold your friends accountable. start a meetup group and throw a party before hand. make it an EVENT

AMack
10-16-2007, 11:17 PM
I'm 20 and I registered this past summer as a Republican to vote for RP in the primaries. I'm absolutely going to vote for RP via absentee ballot. So are at least 5 of my college buddies who live in various states from VT to NJ to OH.

0zzy
10-16-2007, 11:17 PM
I can't, I'll only be 17.

I am going to have to force my parents to vote, both of them.

Bradley in DC
10-16-2007, 11:27 PM

Phil, we'd like an update on your voter registration success. Consider it friendly peer pressure. ;)

Bradley in DC
10-16-2007, 11:28 PM
I can't, I'll only be 17.

I am going to have to force my parents to vote, both of them.

Brent, will you be 18 by the date of the general election? If so, you should be able to vote in the primary.

braeden0613
10-16-2007, 11:43 PM
I'm 18 and already registered to vote, looking forward to my first vote, for Ron Paul of course.
Same here...cant wait :D

ValidusCustodiae
10-16-2007, 11:48 PM
Look at the boots on the ground at the straw polls and the 2000-2500 at the Michigan rally.

You better damn believe they will vote.

Dat's right. I'm 25 and glad to be alive, and I know how to show it! Voting for Ron Paul will be one small way of me saying thank you to those that helped afford the freedoms I've enjoyed. Thomas Paine, Samuel Adams, Patrick Henry, Jefferson, Madison, Washington, none of them will have labored in vain if we all fight even with our last breath to preserve liberty!

Nash
10-17-2007, 12:07 AM

Tom Hayden was leading in the polls and cited young people as his support base in his senate race in the 70's.

Everyone thought he was going to win.

But then none of his young supporters showed up to vote for him.

He lost.

Let's not repeat that.

bbachtung
10-17-2007, 12:11 AM
Everyone just needs to take all of their friends to the polls, and then have a huge house party to wait for the results.

Eric21ND
10-17-2007, 01:09 AM

Where do you get the form to register in Minnesota? Isn't the primary open there or do you have to be republican?

steph3n
10-17-2007, 01:12 AM
Where do you get the form to register in Minnesota? Isn't the primary open there or do you have to be republican?

check here:
http://www.primarilypaul.com/ron-paul-in-the-primaries/