PDA

View Full Version : interview with a (21 yr old) libertarian politician

lester1/2jr
08-24-2010, 01:49 PM
http://streetbonersandtvcarnage.com/blog/interview-with-a-libertarian/

nice article.

I recently sat down in a Wall Street deli with Anthony Librera, the Libertarian candidate for New York State Assembly from District 60, which includes the east shore of Staten Island and the Bay Ridge neighborhood of Brooklyn. We talked about college, movies, drugs, being in our early 20s, and his political campaign — wait, what?

Anthony Librera, Libertarian candidate for New York State Assembly

SBTVC: So you’re running for New York State Assembly and you’re how old?

ANTHONY LIBRERA: Twenty-one.

That’s surprising only because I don’t think anyone our age — I’m 23 — even knows what the New York State Assembly is, much less is interested enough in politics to run for office. So how did you get interested in politics?

When I got out of high school, everyone was going to school, everyone was going away, and I wasn’t really interested in going to school anymore. I was supposed to join the military, I actually enlisted in the Air Force in Fall of 2007. Then my brother, who was going to school in Florida at the time, came home and told me to watch a documentary. Before I joined, I ended up watching the film.

What was the film?

Zeitgeist. I just kept looking into things from there and I became interested in Ron Paul’s presidential campaign.

So you saw Zeitgeist and you became interested in Ron Paul — how did that initial interest catapult into actually running your own campaign?

How does somebody know about this stuff and not want to do something about it? I was an activist for two years, an anti-war activist. Then my friend told me, “There’s a Libertarian meeting, you’re into Ron Paul, you should go.” I went down. Next thing you know, the campaign is looking for people to run.

People tend to portray Libertarians as a fringe party of the Republican Party. Do you think they’re related? Are Libertarians the equivalent of Republicans’ weird uncles who come to the family reunion jabbering about conspiracy theories? ;)

No, not at all. In fact, when I explain the principals of libertarianism to most people, they’re like, “Oh, that makes sense.” The Founding Fathers, for the most part, if they were around today, would be considered Libertarians......

it goes on

lester1/2jr
08-24-2010, 04:56 PM
bump all I have to say is this kid has his act together.

libertybrewcity
08-24-2010, 05:05 PM
bump

I liked Zeitgeist at first, but I don't know about if it's factually correct in some categories.

QueenB4Liberty
08-24-2010, 05:09 PM
bump

I liked Zeitgeist at first, but I don't know about if it's factually correct in some categories.

I liked the first movie, but holy shit at the addendum when you find out he wants a communist technopoly. He's a wee bit crazy, but it's good his movie is opening people's eyes. I would suggest the first movie to most people.