PDA

View Full Version : The REAL Nature of Politics - Part I

MRoCkEd
08-24-2010, 01:48 PM
A very important lesson (part 2 coming soon)

http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=f1340031d3e25504f5712bcb1&id=1e10fe3d0b

Points covered:

* POLITICS IS THE ADJUDICATION OF POWER
* POLITICIANS, NOT EDUCATION & PUBLIC OPINION, MAKE PUBLIC POLICY
* WHY GRASS-ROOTS POLITICS WORKS (POLICY AT THE MARGINS)
* POLITICAL ACTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES FOR POLITICIANS
* HOW POLITICIANS REACT TO PRESSURE

TheTyke
08-24-2010, 03:01 PM
That is pure gold, and a must-read for anyone who truly wishes to change the country. I first heard it at the Rally for the Republic in Minneapolis.

MRoCkEd
08-25-2010, 04:00 AM
//

LibertyMage
08-25-2010, 07:30 AM
That is pure gold, and a must-read for anyone who truly wishes to change the country. I first heard it at the Rally for the Republic in Minneapolis.

++

brandon
08-25-2010, 08:03 AM
A good read, but it seems to miss the obvious conclusion. The author vicously attacks politicians and their motives:

Simply put, politics is not about the common good, appealing to men’s better angels, nor serving our Lord. These may be your motivations. I pray they are mine. Occasionally, they will be a politician’s motivation.

Politicians make laws despite public opinion, not because of it.
etc...

But then he suggests "different" politicians are the solution to this. I think this is naive. I agree with him when he says getting elected to office is a great way to benefit *yourself*, but helping other politicans get elected is not going to go very far to help you, unless they pay you back in political favors. Or they are the one in a million selfless servant (as in Ron Paul and not a single other candidate I can think of)