PDA

View Full Version : Mandatory ROTC IMPOSED in SC

cindy25
08-23-2010, 08:27 PM
http://www.infowars.com/south-carolina-high-school-automatically-enlists-students-in-rotc/

Welcome to high school. Now drop and give me 50.
The entire freshman class at Carvers Bay High School has been automatically enrolled in the Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps, a military-sponsored program that trains high school students in military discipline and concepts. Principal Richard Neal, a Navy veteran, said the school’s Marine Corps JROTC class is fulfilling the student’s physical education requirement and is part of the school’s Ninth Grade Academy.
But Charles Holloway, the parent of a freshman student at Carvers Bay, said he did not want his son in that program and when he asked that his son be taken out, his son was put in a class by himself.Holloway said he feels his son was being punished for not wanting to take part in that clas

Old Ducker
08-23-2010, 08:28 PM
Sickening.

oyarde
08-23-2010, 08:48 PM
Is this just one school ? public or private ?

madengr
08-23-2010, 08:53 PM
Here is the URL. I can't tell, but probably government school since they list nothing about tuition.

http://www4.gcsd.k12.sc.us/education/school/school.php?sectiondetailid=97&

tropicangela
08-24-2010, 07:27 AM
looks like a county school

MelissaWV
08-24-2010, 07:48 AM
They took the kid out... and put him in a class by himself. Will he be one PE credit short to graduate HS? (This, by the way, is why I oppose designating how much of each elective one should have to graduate, but almost no one listens to me, citing how "important" PE is.)

I wouldn't have minded having an extra study hall in a day, and wouldn't see it as punishment. I don't think it's right that ROTC is imposed, but if the parent is in the minority and wants their kid out of it, they've gotten their wish. Either the other parents don't mind, or they don't know. Educate them, and if they still don't mind, put the extra study hall to good use.

Stary Hickory
08-24-2010, 07:52 AM
Well this is yet another reason why public schools are evil. These issues could not possibly arise in a non coerced educational system

Krugerrand
08-24-2010, 07:54 AM
They took the kid out... and put him in a class by himself. Will he be one PE credit short to graduate HS? (This, by the way, is why I oppose designating how much of each elective one should have to graduate, but almost no one listens to me, citing how "important" PE is.)

I wouldn't have minded having an extra study hall in a day, and wouldn't see it as punishment. I don't think it's right that ROTC is imposed, but if the parent is in the minority and wants their kid out of it, they've gotten their wish. Either the other parents don't mind, or they don't know. Educate them, and if they still don't mind, put the extra study hall to good use.

I listen to you, Melissa.

MelissaWV
08-24-2010, 08:00 AM
I listen to you, Melissa.

lol Appreciated! I meant on that issue, though. When I was in HS, the requirements were something like 3 PE credits, 3 Arts credits (and you had to include both Visual and Performing Arts credits), and some other random electives. This school is justifying JROTC as a PE credit, and since PE credits are required to graduate, there you have it.

I called that slippery slope back in 1996... where's my medal? :D

free1
08-24-2010, 02:00 PM
Class by my self. Nice, quiet, I can think. Library nearby. Good. I would love it!