PDA

View Full Version : CFL wants YOUR advice!

Matt Collins
08-23-2010, 02:58 PM
This was just sent to me by a CFL staff member:

You may know C4L is putting together an official printed newsletter.

One of the articles I want to put in the first issue is a piece on activism tips and standing up to the government's unconstitutional actions.

I'd like to include some helpful activism tips that will actually work, and the average person may not be aware of. "How to respond to a census worker," "what to say or not say when pulled over by a police officer," "what you are required to say if the TSA asks you where you got all your money," etc, things of that nature.

I've noticed that Ron Paul Forums seems to have a pretty large contingent of people who are well versed in activism and have successfully initiated it in their lives. So I was hoping you could lend me a hand by making some posts on it there with this request.

You can copy and paste this message, and tell them what I'm looking for, but I know if the message has your handle attached to it, it will automatically receive more page views. Any tips we use, I'll give the person credit for.

There seem to be a lot of great ideas from the RP Forums people and I'd like as many responses as possible.

Elwar
08-23-2010, 03:01 PM
"How to respond to a census worker," "what to say or not say when pulled over by a police officer," "what you are required to say if the TSA asks you where you got all your money,"

Can any of our suggestions involve the Second Amendment?

KCIndy
08-23-2010, 03:03 PM
CFL might want to put a big fat sticker on their newsletter stating: THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE.

:rolleyes:

heavenlyboy34
08-23-2010, 03:03 PM
My first advice would be to move away from print media as much as possible. Not only is it expensive, it's harder to distribute on a mass scale. C4L should start a opt-in Email newsletter instead, IMHO. And definitely don't copyright C4L material-making the material IP will hinder its spread.

Elwar
08-23-2010, 03:06 PM
As far as the census worker...

I had a census worker come by and I allowed him to read through every question so that he felt that he was fulfilling his duty and so he didn't feel that he would get in trouble with his employer. I answered each question with either "I refuse to answer that question" or "There are two people living at this house". That's the last I heard from the census people. Plus I was able to watch as he put down "refused" in each box instead of filling it with anything else.

pacelli
08-23-2010, 03:35 PM
How much does gold/silver/FRNs does an author receive for giving an article to this company?

ninepointfive
08-23-2010, 04:44 PM
My first response is that the CFL staff should be in a position to ask this question themselves and not feel the need to ask the question through an intermediary.

I've seen more CFL involvement online at choice events held nationally. With this new regional directorship, I'd like to see more representation taking place at the local level.

What is the budget looking like, and how is the recruitment going? I have reached out to the CFL while working on a local campaign for a Liberty candidate and received not a word back. I wonder if there is enough staff to field all the requests.

1. Are there enough people to staff events, or at least coordinate efforts for CFL members to show up at the various local political events?
2. How about a calendar and email event updates by region reminding us to show up?
3. In spirit of the meetups, a regional scheduled meeting which will be an opportunity to network with CFL and get to know one another. Held at appropriate intervals to keep the momentum going.

4. So far the grassroots have kept up with the Tea Parties. We need to not have such a stuck up attitude about the Tea Parties. We need to lead by example. I would like to see more CFL involvement in this arena. Currently there are many people open to the message, and a lack of formal CFL engagement. Where did all the Ron Pauler's go? I hear that sometimes, and often agree.

5. The Northern Colorado Tea Party (http://www.northerncoloradoteaparty.com/) is active where I live. Just like the Ron Paul meetups, they are decentralized and spontaneous. The leaders of these regional tea parties aught to be networked with.

tangent4ronpaul
08-23-2010, 05:06 PM
The CFL actually CARES about what their great unwashed masses think?????

When did hell freeze over? :rolleyes:

-t

pacelli
08-23-2010, 05:07 PM

-t

Read between the lines. It is only about what their great unwashed masses PRODUCE for them.

angelatc
08-23-2010, 05:19 PM

-t

They're looking to Matt for this information? Same outfit, different day.

Legend1104
08-23-2010, 05:54 PM
If an officer pulls you over, you are not required to open your trunk unless they have some type of evidence to prove that an actual crime is being commited at that moment (like a help sound). Your car is considered property like your house and is protected from unreasonable searches.

jmdrake
08-23-2010, 06:03 PM
These aren't the type of "activism tips" the CFL needs to worry about going into 2011/2012.

Here's what's needed:

1) How to keep grassroots movements "alive".

2) Tips on effectively engaging the mainstream media.

3) Tips on winning ballot initiatives.

That sort of thing.

evilfunnystuff
08-23-2010, 07:58 PM
These aren't the type of "activism tips" the CFL needs to worry about going into 2011/2012.

Here's what's needed:

That sort of thing.

:D

YouTube - How to Sell Liberty (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_shEnY_lcQI)

YouTube - How to Sell Liberty -- Part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLFGjeXQuE8)

YouTube - How to Sell Liberty -- Part 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEqVHxZmkNc)

Agorism
08-23-2010, 07:59 PM
Focus on Iowa.

It's annoying that the other candidates were at the State fair but Ron wasn't there nor C4L.

james1906
08-23-2010, 08:11 PM
CFL might want to put a big fat sticker on their newsletter stating: THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE.

:rolleyes:

Please consult a lawyer, we are not responsible for your martyrdom.

WaltM
08-23-2010, 08:53 PM
CFL is giving advice on how to talk to a Census worker, and they're surprised FEC is investigating them?

WaltM
08-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Please consult a lawyer, we are not responsible for your martyrdom.

qft

RPgrassrootsactivist
08-23-2010, 10:27 PM
My #1 tip is that C4L needs to direct a significant portion of its resources (more than 50%) entirely into promoting nullification in the state legislatures.

As the Ron Paul movement is almost entirely composed of libertarians and conservatives who believe in decentralization, it stands to reason that we ought to focus most of our efforts on promoting decentralized solutions, such as nullification.

It seems that C4L spends way too much time and resources on lobbying Congress. Shift the primary activism focus to nullification efforts in the states.

C4L should also seriously consider, if it is possible to do so, changing its organizational legal status so it will be able to more directly help organize and promote Ron Paul's candidacy if he runs again in 2012. We need as many people as possible to be registered as Republicans and active in their county GOP. C4L has more than enough members to make a serious impact in taking over a huge amount of county and even state Republican parties before 2012; is there any way it can change its legal status to allow it to help in that goal?

As far as tips for individuals, people should print up pro-liberty, Ron Paul-based fliers, make a bunch of copies, and pass them out at tea party rallies, 9/12 events, etc.

People could also use social networking sites to find Ron Paul supporters in their area, organize with them, and work to prepare for 2012 and take over their county GOP with Ron Paul Republicans.

Matt Collins
08-24-2010, 08:29 AM
The CFL is indeed reading this thread.

Kludge
08-24-2010, 08:33 AM
Pay attention.

amy31416
08-24-2010, 08:43 AM
The CFL is indeed reading this thread.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x93/sonicspikesalbum/bannerad2.gif

WTF?

KCIndy
08-24-2010, 08:47 AM
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x93/sonicspikesalbum/bannerad2.gif

WTF?

At first, I thought he was selling a sex lubricant! :eek:

amy31416
08-24-2010, 08:55 AM
At first, I thought he was selling a sex lubricant! :eek:

You must really, really, really like cars. :p

newbitech
08-24-2010, 08:59 AM
"standing up to the government's unconstitutional actions."

No matter what you say or do, have a video camera and a lawyer on retainer. If you cannot afford a lawyer, don't plan on coming out of your confrontation legally unscathed.

If you don't have a video camera, make sure you have more witnesses than cops and make sure your witnesses DO NOT intervene on your behalf.

Know your rights. Know the law. Practice reciting your rights so that you don't trip over your words. Cops will not know the law or what your constitutional rights are. Don't count on those cops understanding anything you are saying.

Cops are doing a job, so you will want to know and understand their job. Find out what the "policies" are first. Anyone can call the police department and speak to a public relations officer who will be able to describe policies for you. Policies are extra things that police forces do to make their "work" flow more smoothly.

Understand that a Cop values his job more than he values your rights.

Don't tell a cop that he works for you. He doesn't work for you, he works for himself.

If a cop approaches you at any time, ask if you are being detained. IF he says no, ask him if you are free to go. If he says NO, ask him if you are under arrest. If he says no, ask him if you are free to go. If he says no, ask him if you are being detained. If he says no, ask him you are free to go. If he says no, ask him if you are under arrest. If he says no, ask him if you are free to go. If he says no, ask him if you are being detained.

Resist the temptation to ask the cop why you are being stopped, UNTIL he says, yes you are being detained. When he says yes you are being detained, ask him what is the nature of his investigation. Also ask him if you are a suspect in a police investigation. If the cop is not willing to answer these questions, or is acting like a jerk, do not react to this. Instead assert your rights. You have a right to know immediately WHY you are being detained. You have a right to know immediately what you are being charged with when you are arrested. You have a right to immediately have legal representation present before answering any questions.

This is all I can think of for now. Just know your rights people. Treat cops like human beings. Stay cool calm and collected. This is easy to do when you practice the scenarios of being detained with your friends and family.

If you are stopped for a traffic violation, just tell the cop that you understand why you were stopped, and that you will gladly accept his summons and see him in court when you both have time to discuss legal matters.

If he tries to go any further other than writing a ticket, start in with asking if you are being detained. When he says yes, ask him the nature of his investigation and if you are a suspect. When he tells you that its a traffic stop, you can use this on him when he asks you to get out of the car. You can say that you do not think it is safe to exist the vehicle while traffic. Ask to go to parking lot, let him know he can follow you to one. Go to a well lit public area where there are other people an possibly cameras around.

Always keep your hands visible. If the cop pulls his car in front of you, turn off your headlights so he can see you in your car. Put both hands on the wheel and keep them their until he gets to your window. If your window is down, wait until he asks you to put the window down. This is for the cops safety. It is a way of showing respect for him, and when he asks you why you didn't have your window down, you can tell him this. Tell him that you wanted to make sure he felt safe and could see your hands at all times.

Put a Police Benevolent Association Bumper Sticker on your car along with your gadsen flag sticker, your fight the power sticker, and your weed plant sticker.

Don't drink and drive. Don't flick a cigarette out of your window when you are being pulled over.

If I think of more, I'll post later.

ninepointfive
08-24-2010, 10:38 AM

Here's what's needed:

That sort of thing.

Yes. CFL needs to stop these side projects reminiscent of the ACLU and focus on networking with the grassroots. We need a strong grassroots who can coordinate with the C4L when necessary.

You guys are practically invisible. Part of it is because you've taken no active role in leadership. I think you'd have many suggestions asking this question yourself, rather than asking through Matt, with all due respect to him.

I would like the C4L to hold a monthly scheduled meeting, and also have a calendar of events which will aggregate political action items to come together for. Something with a regional twist to it.

Encourage participation in the tea parties. I'm sick and disgusted with some of our more ideological members who claim the tea parties we started have been co-opted. I believe the reason they are "co-opted" is because not many of us actually go to those meetings to represent. I know it's hard, and they suck. Maybe we need to kick start our own Tea Parties again to encourage involvement and make them fun and memorable networking opportunities.

I'm going to discuss the regional networking idea with a computer programmer friend of mine and get the ball rolling on it.

sailingaway
08-24-2010, 10:43 AM
my advice is that print media should be card sized with a teaser and a web page url, and that's about it. Suitable for putting under a windshield wiper.

A newsletter (no offense C4L) is a dumb idea in an era where newspapers are losing their circulation. Information goes stale too fast.

Targeted pieces for handing out at specific events are still good, though.