PDA

View Full Version : Man invents machine to convert plastic into oil

teacherone
08-23-2010, 02:46 PM
is this bunk??? real???

YouTube - Man invents machine to convert plastic into oil (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGGabrorRS8&feature=player_embedded#)!

Akinori Ito, the CEO of Blest, a Japanese company, has somewhat of a panacea. If plastic is just oil, why don’t we simply turn it back into what it was, he pondered. So the guy made a machine to do it. His solution is safe, eco-friendly and efficient.

“If we burn the plastic, we generate toxins and a large amount of CO2. If we convert it into oil, we save CO2 and at the same time increase people’s awareness about the value of plastic garbage,” Ito told Our World 2.0.

Blest produces the machines in various sizes suitable for more industrial purposes or simple home use. There are already 60 in use across Japan at farms, fisheries, and small factories with some beginning to ship overseas for the environmentally conscious and curious abroad.

One kilogram of plastic waste produces almost a liter of oil while using about 1 kilowatt of electricity.

“To make a machine that anyone can use is my dream,” Ito says. “The home is the oil field of the future.”

http://motherboard.tv/2010/8/22/a-machine-that-turns-plastic-back-into-oil--2

TonySutton
08-23-2010, 02:48 PM
I don't see why not. Plastic is made from oil.

teacherone
08-23-2010, 02:49 PM
I don't see why not. Plastic is made from oil.

obviously...

but that little doo-dad on his table looked a little simplistic.

why don't dumps convert the plastic back to oil and sell it then?

brandon
08-23-2010, 02:50 PM
I don't know. You can easily make ash from a log, but it's not so simple to make a log from ash. The whole logic of "If plastic is just oil, why don’t we simply turn it back into what it was" sounds kind of shoddy.

kahless
08-23-2010, 02:51 PM
obviously...

but that little doo-dad on his table looked a little simplistic.

why don't dumps convert the plastic back to oil and sell it then?

The dump by me has taps all over the place to collect methane gas. Our town then resells it.

klamath
08-23-2010, 02:53 PM
I'm sure it is as plastic is made of oil so he is just reversing the process. Seems like it would be better to just recycle the plastic so you aren't wasting energy converting it back to oil.

teacherone
The dump by me has taps all over the place to collect methane gas. Our town then resells it.

yeah but that's a natural bi-product of organic waste...

00_Pete
"One kilogram of plastic waste produces almost a liter of oil"

:rolleyes:

And yet this man managed to produce 100 tons of bullshit out of thin air...

teacherone
08-23-2010, 02:54 PM
I'm sure it is as plastic is made of oil so he is just reversing the process. Seems like it would be better to just recycle the plastic so you aren't wasting energy converting it back to oil.

or reuse it...

Elwar
08-23-2010, 02:56 PM
So...instead of burying your garbage you're going to use electricity to turn the plastic into oil, and then burn that oil.

Whereas one method releases no CO2 into the air, you now have two sources of CO2 being burned.

Thank you Mr. Environment.

teacherone
08-23-2010, 03:00 PM
So...instead of burying your garbage you're going to use electricity to turn the plastic into oil, and then burn that oil.

Whereas one method releases no CO2 into the air, you now have two sources of CO2 being burned.

Less worried about C02 than this

http://www.yudulife.com/Images/make_a_difference/yudu.oceantrash1.jpg

klamath
08-23-2010, 03:02 PM
"One kilogram of plastic waste produces almost a liter of oil"

:rolleyes:

And yet this man managed to produce 100 tons of bullshit out of thin air...

I thought something was up with that. That is 2200 pounds of plastic for less than a gallon of oil. What a stupid waste to make environmentalists feel better about themselves.

Elwar
08-23-2010, 03:03 PM
Less worried about C02 than this

http://www.yudulife.com/Images/make_a_difference/yudu.oceantrash1.jpg

That's quite colorful :)

ravedown
08-23-2010, 03:07 PM
how much government funding did this guy receive? there's no way he invented that by himself with his own money. hurry, somebody regulate this man before he does something else productive... please!

noxagol
08-23-2010, 03:15 PM
I thought something was up with that. That is 2200 pounds of plastic for less than a gallon of oil. What a stupid waste to make environmentalists feel better about themselves.

Kilogram, not kiloton.

And if that is true, then I call it bunk. I can't imagine the process being that efficient. 1 kilogram of water is equal to one liter and crude oil is just a little bit less, depending on what type.

Jordan
08-23-2010, 03:26 PM
A long, long time ago there was a scam where a machine could be used to counterfeit dollar bills was sold to potential counterfeiters. One bill was put in the machine ($100) and the salesman would tell the prospective buyer it took about 6 hours to make the copy.

They'd go out to lunch, dick around, whatever, and come back to the machine 6 hours later when a $100 would pop out the side and the other $100 was removed from the side. Magic! The prospective buyer realized he could make as much as $400 a day and was willing to buy the machine on the spot for only a few days earnings. The salesman, of course, was happy to strike an all cash deal.

Lo and behold, the machine didn't actually produce dollar bills, instead the salesman put 2 $100 bills in the machine, one in the part where it could be read and duplicated, and another in the outbound slot hours before the sales pitch.

This oil machine reminds me of that scam.

Danke
08-23-2010, 04:03 PM
http://nitrogliserin.net/wp-content/gallery/bttf/fuel2.JPG

dannno
08-23-2010, 04:05 PM
I don't know. You can easily make ash from a log, but it's not so simple to make a log from ash. The whole logic of "If plastic is just oil, why don’t we simply turn it back into what it was" sounds kind of shoddy.

You can take ash from a log and put it in the ground near some trees, give it a little soak and the ash will turn into tree again.

klamath
08-23-2010, 04:06 PM
Kilogram, not kiloton.

And if that is true, then I call it bunk. I can't imagine the process being that efficient. 1 kilogram of water is equal to one liter and crude oil is just a little bit less, depending on what type.

You are right, I read it right the first time. For a second I thought it was a 1000 kilograms.:o

ninepointfive
08-23-2010, 04:12 PM
You can take ash from a log and put it in the ground near some trees, give it a little soak and the ash will turn into tree again.

potash!

brandon
08-23-2010, 04:52 PM

Well if you want to come full circle, you can put some ash in the ground and eventually it will become crude oil if you wait long enough.

Legend1104
08-23-2010, 06:13 PM
http://gizmodo.com/5474818/scientist-discovers-fruit-peel-and-newspaper-can-be-turned-into-ethanol-fuel

I prefer this Jennifer.

Anyway, I guess this guys point is that in Japan they have to burn their trash because their is not a lot of room. So I guess the real question is, is this more efficient than just recycling it?

Legend1104
08-23-2010, 06:15 PM
Why did my pic. not work?

Sentient Void
08-23-2010, 06:28 PM

Interesting.

You do realize your mere existence releases CO2 into the air as well - every second you're alive?

Are all oxygen-breathing animals on the planet then considered 'pollutants'?

Oh, wait... trees, algae, etc also require CO2 in order to grow and breathe.

Science rocks.

Kregisen
08-23-2010, 07:43 PM
I agree this looks way too simple and efficient for it not being done before (that I know of?)

Zippyjuan
08-23-2010, 09:18 PM
THis company claims that they can get 775 liters from a ton of plastics garbage.
http://www.polymerenergy.com/faq

One kilgram is 2.2 pounds and there are about 900 kg per ton. That would mean he is claiming almost one third more efficiency than this company claims (900 liters per ton vs 770 liters).

These guys tried using microwaves on car tires and were claiming yields of about 4.5 liters of diesel per 9 kg of tires. http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn12141-giant-microwave-turns-plastic-back-to-oil.html Yes, these are tires, not plastic containers.

Neither gives any indication of how much energy is used to produce the oil. Reusing things and getting out of them what we can before we dispose of them is a good thing, but bear in mind that we use 20 million barrels of oil every day in this country.

free1
08-23-2010, 10:17 PM

Correct. Why give up all that energy it took to make the plastic in the first place? Easier to just melt it and use it again, I think.

libertarian4321
08-23-2010, 10:59 PM
Using pyrolysis of plastic to create "oil" (heating, often under pressure in a low or no oxygen environment) is nothing new.

As a chemical/environmental engineer, I remember reading articles about this back in the 90s.

The problem is that it's not very efficient. The quality of the diesel-like product is usually not auto fuel grade and can only be burned for heating. Alsp, the costs are prohibitive- not just the cost of running the process, but the cost of constructing the equipment/facilities (most are much larger than the bench-scale device shown in the video).

If someone figures out how to produce good quality fuel at low cost, he'[ll make billions. Until then, it's just a "gee whiz" demonstration.

brookefischer
11-18-2010, 05:04 PM
is this bunk??? real???

YouTube - Man invents machine to convert plastic into oil (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGGabrorRS8&feature=player_embedded#)!

http://motherboard.tv/2010/8/22/a-machine-that-turns-plastic-back-into-oil--2

Hi,

I am the Managing Director of Flashpoint Consulting K.K., a Tokyo-based
management consulting and sales advisory firm. We represent Blest Co.,
Ltd.'s "plastic-to-oil" technologies on a global basis.

Our firm can answer any questions regarding Blest Japan. We welcome
questions and comments.

My direct contact is brooke.fischer@flashpointconsulting.co.jp

With best regards,

Brooke

Representative Director
Group Leader – Executive Protection
Director – Security & Defense Initiatives
Flashpoint Consulting K.K.
www.flashpointconsulting.co.jp

Madly_Sane
11-18-2010, 05:17 PM
lmfao at above post

dannno
11-18-2010, 05:24 PM
Hi,

I am the Managing Director of Flashpoint Consulting K.K., a Tokyo-based
management consulting and sales advisory firm. We represent Blest Co.,
Ltd.'s "plastic-to-oil" technologies on a global basis.

Our firm can answer any questions regarding Blest Japan. We welcome
questions and comments.

My direct contact is brooke.fischer@flashpointconsulting.co.jp

With best regards,

Brooke

Representative Director
Group Leader – Executive Protection
Flashpoint Consulting K.K.
www.flashpointconsulting.co.jp

Can you turn the plastic back into dinosaurs?

teacherone
11-19-2010, 07:13 AM
are you hiring?

Madly_Sane
11-19-2010, 09:39 AM
Can you turn the plastic back into dinosaurs?
I think the appropriate question is 'Can you turn oil back into dinosaurs?' :rolleyes::p

pcosmar
11-19-2010, 09:49 AM
Amazing Snake-Oil Machine.

Turns fantasy into money.
;)
:cool:

YouTube - Raul Esparza "There Is A Sucker Born Every Minute" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-jsqZQ4OOY)

ronpaulhawaii
11-19-2010, 09:50 AM
Why did my pic. not work?

The link you used was to the article, not the image... right click on the picture and choose "copy image URL" (or something similar, depending on your browser). The links you want to use to insert images will have a .jpg or .png or .gif, or .[some other image extension]

HTH

:)

youngbuck
11-19-2010, 05:31 PM

They're angry and after you.