PDA

View Full Version : Questions of the Week #1 - What Sparked Your Interest in Liberty

AlexMerced
08-23-2010, 01:30 PM
At the LibertyIsNow forums which are located here:

http://libertyisnow.maxforum.org/2010/08/23/question-of-the-week-1-what-sparked-your-interest-/#post0

I'll be posting a topical question every week, since this is the first one I though it'd be an olddy but a goody.

ibaghdadi
08-23-2010, 02:43 PM
I dislike the premise of your question. Liberty isn't some intellectual luxury that we dabble in. It's the most natural thing ever to the state of man and the world. You may as well ask, what sparked your interest in food? Or water? Or breathing?

AlexMerced
08-23-2010, 03:51 PM
Lol, the point was just to start a conversation about what was the sort of moment it clicked, we all have an inherent inclination but there's always a moment where it "clicks"

lynnf
08-23-2010, 05:14 PM
for me: stories of the founding fathers and popping firecrackers on the 4th of July and knowing why we did that (in honour and celebration of the revolution!)

later, it was reading things like Animal Farm, 1984, the Gulag Archipelago, Prisoner Without a Name, Cell Without a Number, The Killing Fields

later, it was watching the liberties disappear and feeling like I had a noose around my neck that was slowly tightening

lynn

Seraphim
08-23-2010, 05:18 PM
At the LibertyIsNow forums which are located here:

http://libertyisnow.maxforum.org/2010/08/23/question-of-the-week-1-what-sparked-your-interest-/#post0

I'll be posting a topical question every week, since this is the first one I though it'd be an olddy but a goody.

Serving myself and the world as I see fit, rather than serving THE STATE in whatever way it sees fit. The former is natural. The latter is highly unatural.

Sola_Fide
08-23-2010, 05:40 PM
I read two foundational books:

Economics in one Lesson by Hazlitt

And

The One and The Many by Rousas Rushdoony

After that, I saw the world as a struggle of man against the State.

Indy Vidual
08-23-2010, 05:43 PM
I met some Libertarians when I was ~15 years old and still have not fully recovered from the experience. :p

trey4sports
08-23-2010, 06:06 PM
Get caught smoking pot and that kindled a small fire. I thought "what the fuck does it matter if i smoke a J?" started looking into candidates at ontheissues.com and really liked dennis kucinich. Then a friend told me about Ron Paul and I thought he was nutty. Slowly started to hear the hype on CNN about the money bombs and heard him saying some really powerful stuff, and i googled "ron paul forum" to see what he was all about. It was this forum that really swayed me towards individual liberty.....