PDA

View Full Version : UK Defence Secretary Calls for Medal of Honor (the game) Ban

aGameOfThrones
08-23-2010, 05:42 AM
UK Defence Secretary Liam Fox has joined the growing chorus criticizing EA's forthcoming Medal of Honor, a game that takes place amidst the ongoing conflict in Afghanistan.

"It's shocking that someone would think it acceptable to recreate the acts of the Taliban," Fox said, "At the hands of the Taliban, children have lost fathers and wives have lost husbands."

"I am disgusted and angry," Fox continued, "It's hard to believe any citizen of our country would wish to buy such a thoroughly un-British game. I would urge retailers to show their support for our armed forces and ban this tasteless product."

Medal of Honor has also come in for criticism from Fox News for its subject matter. "We've just come off of the worst month of casualties in the whole war," anchor Karen Meredith said in a recent report, "and this game is going to be released in October - so families who are burying their children are going to be seeing this, and playing this game."

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/111/1115044p1.html

or

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20100822/tuk-fox-urges-ban-on-taliban-video-game-6323e80.html

Warrior_of_Freedom
08-23-2010, 06:02 AM
There was a crappy 9/11 movie made not too long after 9/11 and no one was bitching (that I know of) They need to grow some balls.

MelissaWV
08-23-2010, 07:20 AM
It's shocking that someone would recreate the actions of the Taliban? What about the actions of troops? Hmmm.

t0rnado
08-23-2010, 09:15 AM
YouTube - Medal of Honor / Linkin Park - "The Catalyst" Trailer (HD) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTtOVa1DZJ8)

Austrian Econ Disciple
08-23-2010, 09:21 AM
Fascistic State Sieg Hiel! Goddamnit will this ideology ever fucking die?

Long live Militia -- down with Standing Armies.

pcosmar
08-23-2010, 10:28 AM
Fascistic State Sieg Hiel! Goddamnit will this ideology ever fucking die?

Seconded.

Reason
08-23-2010, 10:57 AM
do we know how much money these game developers are getting from DoD?

Anti Federalist
08-23-2010, 11:00 AM

Concur.

Anti Federalist
08-23-2010, 11:01 AM
do we know how much money these game developers are getting from DoD?

A lot.

Video games are the ROTC of future war.

Pericles
08-23-2010, 12:59 PM
A lot.

Video games are the ROTC of future war.

I suspect that when using real ammunition, video gamers won't do so well against guys who have practiced combined arms operations - for one thing they would have to get their fat asses out of the seat.

teacherone
08-23-2010, 01:00 PM
I suspect that when using real ammunition, video gamers won't do so well against guys who have practiced combined arms operations - for one thing they would have to get their fat asses out of the seat.

dude... the gamers will be steering armed robots.

haven't you read Ender's Game?

Pericles
08-23-2010, 01:03 PM
dude... the gamers will be steering armed robots.

haven't you read Ender's Game?

Yeah right, like stuff never breaks in the real world. I had more time on a wrench than I did on a machine gun.

Anti Federalist
08-23-2010, 01:04 PM

Robotic, drone and remote warfare won't require you to get your fat ass out of the seat.

The proper response to that is, paraphrasing from Starship Troopers: when a cadet whined to an instructor why they needed to know close quarter combat skills, when warfare was all "pushbutton" now, the instructor merely flung a blade across the room, pinning the student's hand to the desk.

"Push your button now".

:D