PDA

View Full Version : Philly Requiring Bloggers to Pay $300 for Business License

bobbyw24
08-23-2010, 04:26 AM
Got a blog that makes no money? The city wants $300, thank you very much.

by Valerie Rubinsky

For the past three years, Marilyn Bess has operated MS Philly Organic, a small, low-traffic blog that features occasional posts about green living, out of her Manayunk home. Between her blog and infrequent contributions to ehow.com, over the last few years she says she's made about $50. To Bess, her website is a hobby. To the city of Philadelphia, it's a potential moneymaker, and the city wants its cut.

In May, the city sent Bess a letter demanding that she pay $300, the price of a business privilege license.

"The real kick in the pants is that I don't even have a full-time job, so for the city to tell me to pony up $300 for a business privilege license, pay wage tax, business privilege tax, net profits tax on a handful of money is outrageous," Bess says.

Continue:

http://citypaper.net/articles/2010/08/19/blogging-business-privilege-tax-philadelphia

awake
08-23-2010, 04:29 AM
They steal your liberty then try to sell it back to you. Great business model.

Bern
08-23-2010, 07:14 AM
What authority do they rely upon to compel this license? WTF?

brandon
08-23-2010, 07:51 AM
I don't know why anyone would live in that shithole of a city. I live about 2 miles across the county line now and will never live in philly again.

oyarde
08-23-2010, 02:57 PM
I don't know why anyone would live in that shithole of a city. I live about 2 miles across the county line now and will never live in philly again.

As you know this type of thing is nothing new there.They have other taxes and fees that apply only to the city and not the state.This is what you get after years of Democratic part rule.Spending , spending.

Bman
08-23-2010, 03:03 PM

No shit. Those idiots are too damn tax happy.

Indy Vidual
08-23-2010, 04:25 PM
Is Daily Paul a type of "blog" (w/ active comments)

How soon will this spread to other areas?
What is the exact difference between a blog and Daily Paul, or millions of other sites?
What if the site is primarily a forum, and allows members to also have a blog?
Does each related "(sub-)blog" need a license too? :eek:

KramerDSP
08-23-2010, 04:34 PM

I grew up in the Northeast by Cottman and Bustleton and went to Lincoln. My parents are still there, but really want to relocate and join me in Florida. My brother moved to Maine, and my best friend and his family couldn't wait to get out, bolting to Jersey a few years ago. You know things are bad when NJ is a better option (no offense to Jersey folks!). I think the wage tax was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Gotta love the passion around the sports teams though. Eagles, Phillies, Sixers, Flyers all the way!

brandon
08-23-2010, 04:58 PM
I grew up in the Northeast by Cottman and Bustleton and went to Lincoln. Cool, I live close to your folks. I'm in flourtown...just take 73 (Cottman) about 10 miles west and you're in my area.

My parents are still there, but really want to relocate and join me in Florida. My brother moved to Maine, and my best friend and his family couldn't wait to get out, bolting to Jersey a few years ago. You know things are bad when NJ is a better option (no offense to Jersey folks!). I think the wage tax was the straw that broke the camel's back.
Yea the wage tax is a real killer. 4.5% on top of all the other taxes....no thanks.

Gotta love the passion around the sports teams though. Eagles, Phillies, Sixers, Flyers all the way!
Go Phillies!