PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul 2012 Republican Delegates

speciallyblend
08-22-2010, 04:04 PM
Simple Questions! If your a Ron Paul supporter! How are you going to nominate Ron Paul 2012 in closed republican primaries if your not registered Republican?

If your a Ron Paul supporter! How can you be a Republican delegate in closed Primary Conventions if your not a Republican Delegate?

How do you become a delegate to help Ron Paul 2012 and win the republican nomination in 2012 in closed primary states?

i think the answer is pretty simple. You have to be a registered republican! If your not registered republican and your not a republican delegate! Then Ron paul will not run! And you truly are to blame!

someperson
08-22-2010, 04:43 PM
If I may, I'd like to clarify one point in the op. The individuals referred to as delegates are not limited to just those who would be involved in the proceedings at the national convention. There are sets of these individuals at each regional level. The individuals at the most local level are typically tasked with electing others to act as their representative delegates, who in turn come together to elect their delegates, and so on. As such, the number of individuals needed as delegates, in sum, is not trivial and may be in the tens of thousands. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

speciallyblend
08-22-2010, 04:57 PM
If I may, I'd like to clarify one point in the op. The individuals referred to as delegates are not limited to just those who would be involved in the proceedings at the national convention. There are sets of these individuals at each regional level. The individuals at the most local level are typically tasked with electing others to act as their representative delegates, who in turn come together to elect their delegates, and so on. As such, the number of individuals needed as delegates, in sum, is not trivial and may be in the tens of thousands. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

you are correct. this is why i stress the only way we are going to Win a Gop Nomination is for everyone to go to their local gop meetings and get involved and register republican!

locally your a delegate, then you move on to state by being a delegate for lack of delegates or by delegates voting for you to go to state;) this is how i got to convention before 2008. Then thru a process at state convention you are elected by the delegates to go to national!! if folks are not willing to join the gop immediately and become local delegates and use the process. then they are pipedreaming on a Ron Paul 2012 run! Register Republican folks or all your talk of a Ron Paul 2012 Run is nothing more then a big bad joke on your part!!

thehunter
08-22-2010, 05:55 PM
Anyone around here want to sponsor me for US citizenship?:D

MelissaCato
08-22-2010, 07:14 PM
Great reminder speciallyblend. Now, let's get ready for round 2 !!!! Woot Woot !!

speciallyblend
08-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Anyone around here want to sponsor me for US citizenship?:D

i will look around the co mtns for a citizen for you?:) what age group you looking for? hehe organize all the single american ladies to marry to increase republican delegates. I like it:) hehe:)
you perfer a snowboarding or skiing woman?

Imperial
08-22-2010, 08:54 PM
I attended my precinct and county conventions and made it to the state convention this year, but I am afraid I might not make it for 2012. I will be halfway across the country for all three conventions that come before the state convention, so I don't know how long they can relay my name onwards to the next level in a presidential year.

speciallyblend
08-22-2010, 08:59 PM
I attended my precinct and county conventions and made it to the state convention this year, but I am afraid I might not make it for 2012. I will be halfway across the country for all three conventions that come before the state convention, so I don't know how long they can relay my name onwards to the next level in a presidential year.

maybe get a friend in your district to step up for you? then try to get a few more to step up in your district maybe? just suggesting :) hmmm roommates or friends? just refuse to buy them beers or something;) lock them out of the house:)

reduen
08-22-2010, 09:15 PM

Use a Proxy my friend............

reduen
08-22-2010, 09:17 PM
I am currently delegate at the district level. State is next and I will be ready for 2012!!!! I am personally networking with the county committees around me to make sure that the right people are in place.........

Isaac Bickerstaff
08-22-2010, 09:21 PM
I support SB 100% here. The local delegates who will choose the party leadership for 2012 have already been chosen. Too many people were not involved last year when it mattered for whatever ignorant reason they came up with to justify their own sloth to themselves. What needs to happen now is for everyone that wants to be a delegate on ANY level in 2012 to make themselves known to the CURRENT party leaders. Get involved this year so that in 2012 when you want them to support you as a delegate to state or national conventions they will not laugh at you.

I think SB is justified in his enthusiasm here. Last minute conversions to Republicanism does not fool anyone and all of the hard work that the DEDICATED supporters do will be thrown out by those assholes that only pay lip service to the revolution. It is not all fun. Sometimes you have to get dirty. Most Republicans will respect you if you show up to the meetings and just volunteer for stupid things like staffing a fair booth. But is has to be done NOW if it is going to mean anything when we need it to. Last year, I had to personally buy the pocket Constitutions that my local party hands out and as a result I am assured a delegate spot at state in 2012--that is unless some lazy jackass newcomers come in and pollute everything out of ignorance.

Mini-Me
08-22-2010, 09:28 PM
I support SB 100% here. The local delegates who will choose the party leadership for 2012 have already been chosen. Too many people were not involved last year when it mattered for whatever ignorant reason they came up with to justify their own sloth to themselves. What needs to happen now is for everyone that wants to be a delegate on ANY level in 2012 to make themselves known to the CURRENT party leaders. Get involved this year so that in 2012 when you want them to support you as a delegate to state or national conventions they will not laugh at you.

I think SB is justified in his enthusiasm here. Last minute conversions to Republicanism does not fool anyone and all of the hard work that the DEDICATED supporters do will be thrown out by those assholes that only pay lip service to the revolution. It is not all fun. Sometimes you have to get dirty. Most Republicans will respect you if you show up to the meetings and just volunteer for stupid things like staffing a fair booth. But is has to be done NOW if it is going to mean anything when we need it to. Last year, I had to personally buy the pocket Constitutions that my local party hands out and as a result I am assured a delegate spot at state in 2012--that is unless some lazy jackass newcomers come in and pollute everything out of ignorance.

Is there a good thread detailing how the whole process works and how to go about it? Specifically, in these Republican meetings, how open are you about supporting Ron Paul and liberty candidates in general?

TheTyke
08-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Is there a good thread detailing how the whole process works and how to go about it? Specifically, in these Republican meetings, how open are you about supporting Ron Paul and liberty candidates in general?

I'm not an expert, as we took over our county with sheer numbers and understanding the rules. That's the first approach I suggest.. we have time to register people and build forces. Let them know how important it is. If you have enough friends who believe in liberty, make sure they're registered R and will reserve the dates.

Next, look up the Party rules in your state to figure out exactly what you'll have to do. Then, get ready to take whatever position available (this is where I failed in 2008.) You might not think it, but under our rules, even a recorded, enumerated VOTE at the district/state conventions requires backup from County Chairman, so it's vital to have several of those.

Just like dealing with voters, try to meet the Republicans on the issues you agree on, and be helpful to the local party. That's the best way to gain respect and maybe you can gradually present information they hadn't thought of. This way they will already know you, and be more receptive when you support a candidate or viewpoint. I don't think you'll get far by marching into the first meeting saying: "I support Ron Paul and want to bring all the troops home NOW!" - again, meet them on their issues first.

That's my perspective :)

speciallyblend
08-22-2010, 10:37 PM
I'm not an expert, as we took over our county with sheer numbers and understanding the rules. That's the first approach I suggest.. we have time to register people and build forces. Let them know how important it is. If you have enough friends who believe in liberty, make sure they're registered R and will reserve the dates.

Next, look up the Party rules in your state to figure out exactly what you'll have to do. Then, get ready to take whatever position available (this is where I failed in 2008.) You might not think it, but under our rules, even a recorded, enumerated VOTE at the district/state conventions requires backup from County Chairman, so it's vital to have several of those.

Just like dealing with voters, try to meet the Republicans on the issues you agree on, and be helpful to the local party. That's the best way to gain respect and maybe you can gradually present information they hadn't thought of. This way they will already know you, and be more receptive when you support a candidate or viewpoint. I don't think you'll get far by marching into the first meeting saying: "I support Ron Paul and want to bring all the troops home NOW!" - again, meet them on their issues first.

That's my perspective :)

yep i agree with you. i was pro-ron paul at my meetings and continue to be and our Kevin Cannell is a ron paul republican. It all depends on your local politics on how you approach issues! My hardcore Ron Paul paid off and now folks are asking me who to approach on issues etc etc!! The turning point was when our delegates voted for our ron paul republican 16-9 over the establishment gop:) and the story continues;) in less then one election cycle we went from minority to majority and then won our primary against the good ole boy gop!! there is no looking back;) WOOT WOOT

speciallyblend
08-22-2010, 10:39 PM

mini-me what state are you in?

Mini-Me
08-23-2010, 01:26 AM
mini-me what state are you in?

I'm in Ohio right now and have been my whole life. That's probably not going to be the case for long though, since I'll be looking for an out-of-state job (no idea what state) early 2011. That's assuming I can nail one, of course. I'm in a transition period of my life, which is why I haven't gotten involved yet...but once my situation stabilizes, I want to become active.

invisible
08-23-2010, 01:44 AM
SB, you are right: I'm quite amazed at your about-face! It sounds like the success in your area changed a lot of your feelings about the Republican party.

There is no one path or magic formula to becoming a delegate. The important thing is laying the groundwork and networking with those in your local party. (This means going to the meetings) As others have mentioned in this thread, one cannot stress enough the importance of getting to know those in your local party, even if they are neocons whose hands you don't want to shake: This makes people more receptive to your views and opinion, the goal is for them to see you as "being on the same team", not as your enemy (remember, you're going to eventually try to convince them to vote for a particular delegate or candidate). This requires you to talk with them about issues you will agree on (economy) in general.

But the jedi mind trick that is really important is what you say when you disagree, everything must be phrased in such a way that the answer is obvious: For instance, when talking about ending the wars, don't just talk about why you want to do so, even though that may very well be true - it needs to be in terms that define him as being on the same team with you. "Our President and Commander In Chief Bush said our mission was accomplished and was trying to wind down the war. Now we have a liberal in charge who wants to hang around and run up the deficit by nation building. We need someone who will run on a humble foreign policy again and be able to win in the general election, like Bush did." See? You haven't said anything untrue, and more importantly, you haven't said anything he'd disagree with! This gets you much further than talking about the war being illegal and how we need to end it now. Let's use another example: Take an issue, any issue. The most conservative position is always to follow the Constitution. If you keep going back to this, you can easily win any argument by pointing it out, over and over. For if someone argues anything else, then it is an inherently less conservative position. This may not change anyone's mind, but you're not out to change minds, you're out to be seen by others as "on the same team" and get someone to vote a certain way. The important thing is to build respect, even with those who disagree. Building bridges is better than burning them, as SB has recently discovered.

And as others have pointed out, it is extremely important to do this NOW if Ron is to run again in 2012. Building that respect in the local party is essential to electing delagates (again, each state does this differently). Electing delagates is essential to getting the nomination. There are many success stories of "taking over" the local party, and that's great. I personally haven't had it so lucky, but remaining involved since 2007-8 has helped with gaining respect. I was always registered as "Libertarian", "Independent", or "Other", depending on where I was living at the time. Don't think that local party officials don't check up on those who suddenly appear and start speaking out: I was once approached in 2007 by a local party official. He asked me to explain why I was registered as a democrat, so I cleared up the confusion (I have the same name as one of my parents, who actually ARE hardcore democrats) and stated that "I've never ever been registered as a democrat, and have never voted for a liberal in my life". By the look on his face, I think my answer made him proud. Much better than "Oh, I just registered this year. I always registered and voted Libertarian in the past". In other words, like any other group, newcomers must earn a bit of respect and will be challenged. Be prepared for it.

I don't make a big deal of constantly talking about Ron Paul, at least not now while he isn't actually running. People now listen respectfully, even if they disagree. I've been fairly regular at getting to my Congressman's office and letting his aides know how my scorecard of his votes is coming along. Any important bills coming up, I always go back to "I'd really like to see him vote this way on this bill, because the Conservative position is to follow the Constitution". (and again, how could his aides or anyone else possibly disagree with that?) Anyone new to the Republican party (like those ex-democrats who you've been converting) needs to get in on the action now, so that they will be taken seriously next year.

SB's threads on this topic are a welcome breath of fresh air here. While it's been great following the various races for the other good candidates out there, I remember (ok, I lurked since the beginning and joined later) the great "let's get it done" vibe and excitement here in 2007 and early 2008. It's SO excellent to see that starting to come back now. Maybe some of the older posters will even return if that continues.