PDA

View Full Version : Obama administration blocks sales of US made M1 rifles from Korea

Anti Federalist
08-22-2010, 02:35 PM
US opposes Seoul’s bid to sell old rifles

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/upload/news/100812_p02_US.jpg

By Jung Sung-ki

The U.S. government opposed South Korea’s bid to sell hundreds of thousands of aging U.S. combat rifles to American gun collectors, a senior government official said Thursday.

The ministry announced the plan last September as part of efforts to boost its defense budget, saying the export of the M1 Garand and carbine rifles would start by the end of 2009.

The U.S. administration put the brakes on the plan, citing “problems” that could be caused by the importation of the rifles.

The problems the U.S. government cited were somewhat ambiguous, said an official at the Ministry of National Defense on condition of anonymity.

“The U.S. insisted that imports of the aging rifles could cause problems such as firearm accidents. It was also worried the weapons could be smuggled to terrorists, gangs or other people with bad intentions,” the official told The Korea Times.

“We’re still looking into the reason why the U.S. administration is objecting to the sale of the rifles and seeking ways to resolve the problems raised,” he said.

Critics say the ministry pushed to sell the firearms in a hasty manner without enough consultation with the U.S. beforehand, as calls were growing to increase defense expenditure.

The Seoul government sought to sell the outdated U.S guns back to the United States.

A total of 86,000 M1 rifles and another 22,000 carbines were to be sold, as the weapons have been mothballed for about five decades in military warehouses. The per-unit price of the M1 rifle is about $220 and the carbine is more than $140, according to the ministry.

M1s were made first in 1926 and used in World War II and the 1954-1975 Vietnam War. The carbines were first produced in 1941 and used during the 1950-1953 Korean War.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2010/08/205_71329.html

Toureg89
08-22-2010, 02:41 PM
to be expected.

GunnyFreedom
08-22-2010, 03:31 PM
:mad: I've been waiting for this to pick up a Garand from the CMP :mad:

F U OBAMA!

phill4paul
08-22-2010, 05:00 PM
:mad: I've been waiting for this to pick up a Garand from the CMP :mad:

F U OBAMA!

QFI. Whew that was a close one! Glad the government stepped in and saved us on this one. /sarcasm

Kotin
08-22-2010, 05:28 PM
I really want one of these.. Arghhhh

Pericles
08-22-2010, 05:51 PM
I really want one of these.. Arghhhh

Me too, I was hoping they could make it in before the election when S. Korea first came up with the plan. Could be some nice low numbered receivers in that bunch.

Anti Federalist
08-22-2010, 06:03 PM
While I wasn't in the market for an M1 right now, I'm pissed for those people who were.

Dr.3D
08-22-2010, 06:12 PM
Wouldn't want those rifles falling into the wrong hands now, would we? /sarcasm

phill4paul
08-22-2010, 06:13 PM
While I wasn't in the market for an M1 right now, I'm pissed for those people who were.

For $220? I'm always in the market. :D

For nothing other than memorabilia the price is exceptional.

There are thousands of guns bought and sold daily. It is a caveat emptor exchange.

I honestly hate these fuckers that seek to limit freedoms under the guise of protecting me.

AFPVet
08-22-2010, 07:32 PM
I have never fired an M1 Garand or admired its beauty and craftsmanship... I would love to. The administration just doesn't want to make more arms available to the people—this is the real reason!

phill4paul
08-22-2010, 07:35 PM
the administration just doesn't want to make more arms available to the people—this is the real reason!

qfi!

AFPVet
08-25-2010, 09:08 PM
LOL... I dunno. They just have something against these rifles. To me, they are historical and of tremendous value to collectors.

devil21
08-26-2010, 01:34 AM
Those damn gangbangers and their M1 drive-by shootings!

Pericles
08-26-2010, 03:04 PM
Those damn gangbangers and their M1 drive-by shootings!

I thought they gave that up when the clips kept hitting them in the face due to holding the rifle sideways.

ronpaulhawaii
09-02-2010, 02:19 PM
Story is picking up steam

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/09/01/obama-administration-reverses-course-forbids-sale-antique-m-rifles/

A State Department spokesman said the administration's decision was based on concerns that the guns could fall into the wrong hands.

"The transfer of such a large number of weapons -- 87,310 M1 Garands and 770,160 M1 Carbines -- could potentially be exploited by individuals seeking firearms for illicit purposes," the spokesman told FoxNews.com.

"We are working closely with our Korean allies and the U.S. Army in exploring alternative options to dispose of these firearms."

:mad:

phill4paul
09-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Where the fuck is the GOA on this? What a way to get new members. Come out hard on this one.
Steal the WWII and Korean and Viet vets from the N.R.A. !
In an era of "Support the Troops" lets get these vets worked up about the ability to acquire a piece from their history!
Anyone with GOA connections?

Dr.3D
09-02-2010, 04:48 PM
Story is picking up steam

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/09/01/obama-administration-reverses-course-forbids-sale-antique-m-rifles/

:mad:

Wouldn't want those rifles falling into the wrong hands now, would we? /sarcasm

Wow, that's pretty much what I said earlier.
What they probably mean is, they don't want that many low priced rifles on the market, as they may be bought by people who would form a militia. Talk about a way to arm a militia in a hurry..... those would probably do the trick.

phill4paul
09-02-2010, 04:55 PM
Anyone with GOA connections?

Sorry. Didn't mean to shout. I have turrets.

Pericles
09-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Wow, that's pretty much what I said earlier.
What they probably mean is, they don't want that many low priced rifles on the market, as they may be bought by people who would form a militia. Talk about a way to arm a militia in a hurry..... those would probably do the trick.

Like we don't already have the problem figured out.;)

AFPVet
09-03-2010, 09:42 PM
It actually wouldn't surprise me if my hypothesis were true. The regime doesn't want hundreds of semi-auto .30-06 rifles in the hands of the citizenry. Pericles has it right though... it's not like we don't have it covered already ;)

osan
09-06-2010, 04:49 PM
I thought they gave that up when the clips kept hitting them in the face due to holding the rifle sideways.

Wa wa wa...

osan
09-06-2010, 04:51 PM
US opposes Seoul’s bid to sell old rifles

God I hate these people.

Anti Federalist
09-07-2010, 02:01 PM

How the hell did I miss that?

http://scienceblogs.com/clock/How%20to%20ROFL.png

Seraphim
09-07-2010, 02:27 PM
This will sound lame to people who HAVE shot real guns but here it goes...

As video games get more real, the sound, firing tactics etc of each kind of gun are actually very accurate.

In Call of Duty:World at War, my favorite riffle was the M1 Garand. I would put a sniper scope on that bad boy pick up hearts and heads like a champ.

Similarly the Desert Eagle shounds and shoots like a champ.

I would really like to shoot some of those guns. I will one day.

List of guns I'd want to try:

M1 Garand
R700 (love the bolt actions)
UMP45
AK 47
Desert Eagle
M9
M1014

XNavyNuke
09-08-2010, 05:58 PM
This gave me the sniffs when I read it.

What Are They Thinking? (http://ppjg.wordpress.com/2010/09/08/what-are-they-thinking/)

And not just any gun, but the rifle that carried our Military members through far away incursions. Proud American workmanship designed to last in the most adverse conditions. The M1 Garand. Rain, snow, desert, jungle – the Garand performed beautifully. It’s simple design confounded the elements and most assuredly saved hundreds of thousands of lives on the battlefields of the world.

XNN

hamilton1049
09-08-2010, 07:24 PM
84 yrs young and still the finest battle implement ever devised.

Clinton did this same thing with the sale of M-14s through the CMP and the import of garands from Europe.

Some food for thought for all you AK/AR lovers, the M-1 Garand was the last Main Battle Rifle carried by American troops in a war that we actually declared and decisively won. Neither the AK nor the AR have been carried into war on anything near the scale of WW II and neither can claim a decisive victory.

I love my M-1 and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Ethek
09-08-2010, 08:32 PM
I would love to pick up a pair of these. My dad has been wanting an authentic M1 forever, hasn't been able to swing one. I would have loved to get this for him and take him to an Appleseed to give it a go at the end of the weekend on a 300 yd shot or better.