PDA

View Full Version : YAL vs College Republicans

sratiug
08-22-2010, 02:00 PM
From the website of College Republicans...

In 2008, the nation saw young people 18-29 years old turn out to vote in levels not seen since 1992 (52 percent), and that rival as far back as 1972 (55.4 percent). At least 23 million young people voted in 2008, representing approximately 52-53 percent of eligible young voters and 18 percent of the votes cast in total. In the 15 most heavily contested states (CO, FL, IA, IN, MI, MN, MO, NV, NH, NM, NC, OH, PA, VA and WI), youth turnout rose to 59 percent compared with a turnout rate of 47 percent in non-battleground states. This mirrors a rise of 13 percent in overall turnout between battleground and non-battleground states among general voters as well.

While the increase in youth participation is in itself a good development, the partisan split among these voters was the most favorable to Democrats in history. Young people voted for Barack Obama over John McCain by more than a 2-to-1 margin, 66 to 32 percent. Similarly, they cast their ballots for down-ticket races, such as those for the House of Representatives, in favor of the Democrats by a margin of 63 to 34 percent. This represents the largest gap among young voters in favor of one party in history and a massive shift since 2004.

What are the chances of overtaking the College Republicans in chapters and members by next school year? Is it possible?

isrow
08-28-2010, 10:39 AM
Probably not in number of chapters but definitely in enthusiasm and mobilization. Just yesterday the Pres. of our CR, a friend of mine, called me asking how to reserve a table because a recruiter from their Nationals was coming. I had the tables reserved a couple weeks of ago but told them we could sit together. It was great having the CRs and YALs sitting next to each other, unfortunately I didn't get a picture. Remember CPAC, haha.

thehunter
08-28-2010, 11:24 AM
From my own school days experience, I recommend working with the YR on common causes and staying active in their groups (they tend to be further to the right than the party at large is); in time, you'll find that YAL members will start being invited to run chapters of the YR...:)

Jeremy
08-28-2010, 11:33 AM
YAL membership has nothing to do with being a Republican. I imagine the Ron Paul supporters in YAL (the majority) are Republicans. But remember that YAL is bigger than RP08.

MRoCkEd
08-28-2010, 01:05 PM
You should work on forming your own YAL chapter AND getting those members into leadership positions in college GOP.