PDA

View Full Version : Odd Thoughts on Canvassing

ronpaulhawaii
08-22-2010, 12:57 PM
Getting closer to Nov. and I see status updates of people out canvassing; "learning the hard way". Thought I'd fire off some thoughts...

I've found door knocking very satisfying. People generally are thankful for your visit. Remember that you are providing a public service. While volunteering on a political campaign, you are a "public servant;" Americans respect/admire that. Have fun with it.

Look at the map (make one if you have to) and route out sections. Figure out where you want to park before you get there. Ideally, you want to end up where you started and not have to walk any section twice. I mark out my route showing which streets I want to hit both sides at once, and which I want to go up one side and back the other (like a dead end)

Dress comfortably, on the upper side of the local "norm."

Carry a bag with Lit, Lists, Water, snacks, etc.

A friendly rap is better than a doorbell. A girl I know carries a golfball in her bag to avoid knuckle bruising...

People will answer apprehensively, wondering what you are "selling". A smiling introduction, including terms like "grassroots," "volunteer," "politickin'," etc... usually breaks the ice...

You'll get a feel for if you are "bothering them," or not. If a lady answers the door holding an infant on one hand, a cooking utensil in the other, a toddler dragging on her pants, and the sound of overboiling pots beyond the door, it's usually best to just say, "Sorry, looks like you're busy, can I leave this info here on the stoop for you..." and move on. They appreciate that. Sometimes you can even ask to come back at a better time, and they'll say yes... On the other hand, you'll find people that will talk for hours (including partisans deliberately trying to slow you down) You want to remember to keep on message and keep moving along.

The gold you are digging is data. Your walklist should make it as easy as possible to record key info. It should also have a comment area for noting things like identifying bumper stickers/etc. (for targeting)

I'm sure more will come to mind. Hopefully some other members will add their thoughts and tips... After doing this for a while, I have fully realized that a strong majority of people are honestly glad we come to their door. It is satisfying

ONWARD!

:D

AdamT
08-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Great info.

Kotin
08-22-2010, 05:50 PM
Good stuff.. Thanks for posting michael!

rancher89
08-23-2010, 09:32 AM
Yep, the key is info.

For those who are "receptive"--------

Get phone #s confirmed

Get an email addy

Ask if they'll post a yard sign, promise to deliver it and do it--if possible, get the candidate to deliver it and have them knock on the door to tell them thanks...

Ask if they are early voting and if they will volunteer to get others to vote early also

Kotin
08-23-2010, 12:38 PM
//

ronpaulhawaii
08-23-2010, 01:45 PM
Yep, the key is info.

For those who are "receptive"--------

Get phone #s confirmed

Get an email addy

Ask if they'll post a yard sign, promise to deliver it and do it--if possible, get the candidate to deliver it and have them knock on the door to tell them thanks...

Ask if they are early voting and if they will volunteer to get others to vote early also

Yep, getting ph# confirmed and email addys is important in many ways, not the least of which is that the supporter makes a conscious decision to get more involved.

Great idea on having the candidate deliver/set up the yardsigns :)

When I build my own walklists I include the following string

Y U N YS MG ORG ______________

The "Y U N" section is a support gauge. A definite voter I would simply circle the Y, an uncertain voter that seemed liberty minded I would circle the Y & U, an impossible to read undecided would simply be a U, an undecided neo-connish type I'd circle U & N, and a definite opponent would get an N.

YS wants a Yard Sign
MG wants to organize a Meet & Greet
ORG wants to seriously get involved.

The final blank line is for anything and everything.

It is best to wait till they've closed the door before entering any info on the clipboard. Makes for a more casual interaction. I usually step away a bit before stopping to write.

Speaking of stepping away, after knocking on the door, step back a step or two and give them plenty of space. I usually stand so they can easily see both my hands and the t-shirt/button/whatever identifier (a bumper sticker on the back of the clipboard?)

Speaking of clipboards, a friend cuts up old yardsigns to the correct size and uses rubberbands for the clip. Much cheaper, and easier to stack...

Hmmmm... what else...

rancher89
08-23-2010, 04:49 PM
Yep, getting ph# confirmed and email addys is important in many ways, not the least of which is that the supporter makes a conscious decision to get more involved.

Great idea on having the candidate deliver/set up the yardsigns :)

When I build my own walklists I include the following string

The "Y U N" section is a support gauge. A definite voter I would simply circle the Y, an uncertain voter that seemed liberty minded I would circle the Y & U, an impossible to read undecided would simply be a U, an undecided neo-connish type I'd circle U & N, and a definite opponent would get an N.

YS wants a Yard Sign
MG wants to organize a Meet & Greet
ORG wants to seriously get involved.

The final blank line is for anything and everything.

It is best to wait till they've closed the door before entering any info on the clipboard. Makes for a more casual interaction. I usually step away a bit before stopping to write.

Speaking of stepping away, after knocking on the door, step back a step or two and give them plenty of space. I usually stand so they can easily see both my hands and the t-shirt/button/whatever identifier (a bumper sticker on the back of the clipboard?)

Speaking of clipboards, a friend cuts up old yardsigns to the correct size and uses rubberbands for the clip. Much cheaper, and easier to stack...

Hmmmm... what else...

Excellent points, never thought of the "homemade" clipboard, bet it's lighter also!

Absolutely step back from the door, right after knocking. First, it gives people a better look at you before they open the door, and second - as you stated above - it gives them space and is less intrusive or threatening.

Deborah K
08-23-2010, 05:23 PM
I suck at canvassing and cold calling. Definitely not my area of expertise.

nayjevin
08-23-2010, 05:55 PM
Great tips.

I'd say there's a different strategy walking among neighbors than among strangers.

Near a permanent home I would say just make friends. Away from home or when working from a non-permanent residence, I'd say it's more of a lit-drop and fact-finding mission.

I say don't try to do too much to convince a person on the spot. Ron Paul sells himself. Or rather, Ron Paul represents liberty, and liberty sells itself.

There will be some good flyers and video/DVD's that should make that job pretty easy.

I will be getting out of my comfort zone in 2012 big time. Thanks in large part to you Mike, thanks for your efforts, on foot and by pedal :)

RedOurBack
08-23-2010, 06:05 PM
I will be getting out of my comfort zone in 2012 big time. Thanks in large part to you Mike, thanks for your efforts, on foot and by pedal :)

I like how you gave yourself two years to do it.

Liberty is NOW.

nayjevin
08-23-2010, 06:40 PM

Liberty is NOW.

:o touche sir :p well played.. :) it's on. :cool:

rancher89
08-23-2010, 07:07 PM
LOL, it is hard to do at first, but it gets easier. Having a stellar candidate that you seriously support doesn't hurt.

I'd say get out and canvas now for whomever you can and get some experience under your belt.

We'll all be pros by Spring of '11
:D:D:D

ronpaulhawaii
08-24-2010, 07:30 AM

I'm much more comfortable door-knocking than phone banking. Some people prefer the phone, I like seeing eye to eye... When I first started years ago, I was too self-conscious to notice that the vast majority of people really do appreciate us going to their door and many like to have fun with it as well. I bet if you pushed yourself, you would get over the hump and see what I am talking about better.

Great tips.

I'd say there's a different strategy walking among neighbors than among strangers.

Near a permanent home I would say just make friends. Away from home or when working from a non-permanent residence, I'd say it's more of a lit-drop and fact-finding mission.

I say don't try to do too much to convince a person on the spot. Ron Paul sells himself. Or rather, Ron Paul represents liberty, and liberty sells itself.

There will be some good flyers and video/DVD's that should make that job pretty easy.

Yes, I'd create a different approach for home precincts. The first pass would be more of an introductory canvass. For a home precinct you will eventually want a LOT more data, to use for various issue campaigns as well as multiple electoral...

Keeping it simple, and on message is important. People want to feel they have come to their own conclusions and most don't like being "sold" something.

Liberty is NOW.

:o touche sir :p well played.. :) it's on. :cool:

lol :)

LOL, it is hard to do at first, but it gets easier. Having a stellar candidate that you seriously support doesn't hurt.

I'd say get out and canvas now for whomever you can and get some experience under your belt.

We'll all be pros by Spring of '11
:D:D:D

Yup, the 2010 campaigns provide a win-win opportunity for practice...

ONWARD!

Deborah K
08-24-2010, 08:00 AM
Michael, you have to have salesman qualities to be good at it, which you have, and I don't.

MRoCkEd
08-24-2010, 08:04 AM
Practice makes perfect

For 2012, we need to replace online commenting and sign waving with phone banking and canvassing!