PDA

View Full Version : Holy Schnikes! It's finalized. Iowa comes first.

Starks
10-16-2007, 05:46 PM
NH is the next day.

JoshLowry
10-16-2007, 05:47 PM
link/source please...

steph3n
10-16-2007, 05:47 PM
****EDIT****
STOP COMMENTING ON THIS, IT IS CHANGED!

Starks,

leave the profanity off the topics, it really turns people off.

thanks for the newsbreak however.

Starks
10-16-2007, 05:49 PM
link/source please...

It was just breaking news on CNN.

Paulitician
10-16-2007, 05:52 PM
I found somthing at CBS

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/10/16/eveningnews/main3375145.shtml

austin356
10-16-2007, 05:56 PM
I think this is good for Paul.

Jan. 3rd? Voting? LOL LOL who the hell wants to do that?

Low turnout is a great thing for us, the motivated bunch.

yoshimaroka
10-16-2007, 05:57 PM
Does this mean New Hampshire will move their date up to December?

Johnnybags
10-16-2007, 05:58 PM
that day because Pauls camp will show up on snowmobiles.

kylejack
10-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Yoshi, no. Iowa is the first caucus and New Hampshire is the first primary. It will be the day after Iowa.

torchbearer
10-16-2007, 06:03 PM

It would really work to our advantage if they'd move it to January 1st. Only our supporters are hard-core enough to stay up all the way through new years eve 'til early morning just to go to the polls hammered to vote for Ron Paul and then sleep it off until the nighttime results.

CasualApathy
Starks,

leave the profanity off the topics, it really turns people off.

thanks for the newsbreak however.

"Holy Schnikes!" is a profanity? seriously?

Anyway, do a Ron Paul and be tolerant. You know, this new society that we want will mean an end to the grouping of people that we see so much in the world today, so you're really going to have to learn to let stuff like this pass without comment.

Besides... "Holy Schnikes!"... come on :rolleyes:

theseus51
Too bad it couldn't be on Christmas Day.

But yeah, the worst the weather conditions, and the more inconvenient the day, the better for Ron Paul. His supporters are the most dedicated, and much likelier to vote, whereas the others might not if it's inconvenient.

TechnoGuyRob
10-16-2007, 06:06 PM

Anyway, do a Ron Paul and be tolerant. You know, this new society that we want will mean an end to the grouping of people that we see so much in the world today, so you're really going to have to learn to let stuff like this pass without comment.

It used to be "holy shit".

ross11988
10-16-2007, 06:07 PM

Exactly, this is great for us, people are going to be tired from vacation and Ron Paul supporters arnt going to care, they will be out no matter what.

rich34
10-16-2007, 06:07 PM
What about all the college students?? They'll most likely be off on Christmas break:( Is there a possibility we can try to get the students to vote absentee?

terlinguatx
10-16-2007, 06:08 PM

McDermit
10-16-2007, 06:20 PM
It used to be "holy shit".

Actually, "oh shit" :p

csen
10-16-2007, 06:21 PM
Can I play the optimist for a second? We all know NH is Ron Paul's most natural state. Imagine if Ron Paul pulls 15-20% in Iowa -- that will wake up people in NH who might not otherwise vote enough to show up for the polls in NH, turning what would have been a strong finish in NH into a win.

margomaps
10-16-2007, 06:21 PM
What about all the college students?? They'll most likely be off on Christmas break:( Is there a possibility we can try to get the students to vote absentee?

Whah? This works to our advantage. Out-of-state students are likely still registered to vote in their home states. If they're home for winter break, they won't need absentee ballots.

bbachtung
10-16-2007, 07:00 PM

You can't vote absentee in the caucus. You have to be there.

My understanding is that NH has an agreement with Iowa that NH's primary will be 7 days after Iowa's caucuses, so I don't know where the the next day thing is coming from.

Hope
10-16-2007, 07:02 PM
"In my country, Iowa comes first, New Hampshire comes second...and sometimes not at all!"

speciallyblend
10-16-2007, 07:03 PM
schnikes is profanity wow,im glad someone clarified that one,went over my head i guess

steph3n
10-16-2007, 07:11 PM
schnikes is profanity wow,im glad someone clarified that one,went over my head i guess

look, the topic has changed already, read the thread ;)

Harry96
10-16-2007, 07:14 PM
NH is the next day.

I just did a news search, and everything I found said the NH date isn't set yet, and that it'll probably be about a week later, as usual.

It'd be terrible for NH to be the next day. If RP wins Iowa, it'll take away his momentum going into NH. If he wins both, the media coverage will be lumped together, instead of getting a surge of coverage from Iowa, then another surge from NH the next week.

inibo
10-16-2007, 07:32 PM

I learn something new every day whether I want to or not:"beet pancakes (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=schnikes&defid=308594)"

jgmaynard
10-16-2007, 07:43 PM
Only our supporters are hard-core enough to stay up all the way through new years eve 'til early morning just to go to the polls hammered to vote for Ron Paul and then sleep it off until the nighttime results.

Uuuuuummmmmmmmmmm........... you DO know we can't sleep on voting day, right???? We're all going to have to be at the polls ALL DAY LONG holding signs for Doctor Paul. It's the last thing you do for a candidate before you have to wait through 3 torturous hours or so before results start rolling in... :D

JM

Brock Landers
10-16-2007, 07:44 PM
I just did a news search, and everything I found said the NH date isn't set yet, and that it'll probably be about a week later, as usual.

It'd be terrible for NH to be the next day. If RP wins Iowa, it'll take away his momentum going into NH. If he wins both, the media coverage will be lumped together, instead of getting a surge of coverage from Iowa, then another surge from NH the next week.

If Ron wins NH and Iowa do you think we'll still be worried about getting press? I would think the media would have a hard time talking about much else.

Dave
10-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Stay tuned. The Iowa caucuses are generally held 8 days prior to the NH primaries. There is more or less an agreement between Iowa, NH, and the national parties that Iowa gets the first caucus and NH gets the first primary. There's no reason at all to suspect that NH will be the day after Iowa - that would serve neither Iowa nor NH.

NH has not set the date of their primary yet. I'm sure Iowa didn't want to set this date without knowing when NH will be but Iowa's in a predicament - they have to reserve 1,784 locations to have these 7 p.m. party meetings. Iowa had to lock down a date to start lining up facilities. NH can remain more flexible since a primary is much simpler - you just go to your regular polling place and vote.

January 3rd is the night of the Orange bowl, for what it's worth.

Note also that only the Iowa GOP picked this date. There's no word yet from the Iowa Democrats. There's a chance the parties could have their caucuses on different nights which would be unusual.

Food for thought...

fletcher
10-16-2007, 08:11 PM
Seeing you can change your party registration at the door, if the Democratic and Republican caucuses are on different dates will people be able to vote in both of them? That would be HUGE.

lapi7
10-16-2007, 09:09 PM
Actually I still prefer "GOLLY!"

Tratzman
10-16-2007, 09:23 PM
Wow, bad weather and a great Orange Bowl matchup will make for less than 10% of registered Republicans voting in the primaries. The sheep will be nestled into their lazy-boys watching college football. This is looking better and better all the time!!!

Chad

Ron Paul Fan
10-16-2007, 09:35 PM
Wow, bad weather and a great Orange Bowl matchup will make for less than 10% of registered Republicans voting in the primaries. The sheep will be nestled into their lazy-boys watching college football. This is looking better and better all the time!!!

Chad

It could only be better if Iowa or Iowa State had a shot at the Orange Bowl, but they both suck so that's not possible. Paul supporters will be there blizzard or no blizzard! The colleges being on winter break might hurt a little, but I'm guessing a lot of the enrollment at those schools is from Iowa residents whose permanent homes are in the state. Is the caucus held in one central location like Des Moines or is there various voting places that these kids can go to near their homes?

Dave
10-16-2007, 09:40 PM
It could only be better if Iowa or Iowa State had a shot at the Orange Bowl, but they both suck so that's not possible. Paul supporters will be there blizzard or no blizzard! The colleges being on winter break might hurt a little, but I'm guessing a lot of the enrollment at those schools is from Iowa residents whose permanent homes are in the state. Is the caucus held in one central location like Des Moines or is there various voting places that these kids can go to near their homes?

College students will need to decide whether to register on campus or back at home (if they're from Iowa).

Caucuses are held in 1,784 precincts all over the state. Nobody is more than a few miles from their caucus location.

saahmed
10-16-2007, 10:20 PM
It would really work to our advantage if they'd move it to January 1st. Only our supporters are hard-core enough to stay up all the way through new years eve 'til early morning just to go to the polls hammered to vote for Ron Paul and then sleep it off until the nighttime results.

The caucuses in Iowa work differently. They hold them at like 7pm and it is a 1-2hr ordeal. I went to the 2004 democratic caucus though I was not old enough to vote. It may work differently for the Republican party, but on the Democratic side you huddle up in a group for your candidate and then you spend 15-20 min convincing others to join your group or eliminating candidates who do not have enough supporters. After that you talk about and vote on local issues. I think I read somewhere that the Republicans do a poll, which unfortunately means electronic voting machines, but it is still in the evening.

I think most people who show up at the caucuses are pretty devoted to their candidate. Its not like the average person is going to show up, it is a bit more involved then simply voting in an election.

Dave
10-16-2007, 10:26 PM
The caucuses in Iowa work differently. They hold them at like 7pm and it is a 1-2hr ordeal. I went to the 2004 democratic caucus though I was not old enough to vote. It may work differently for the Republican party, but on the Democratic side you huddle up in a group for your candidate and then you spend 15-20 min convincing others to join your group or eliminating candidates who do not have enough supporters. After that you talk about and vote on local issues. I think I read somewhere that the Republicans do a poll, which unfortunately means electronic voting machines, but it is still in the evening.

I think most people who show up at the caucuses are pretty devoted to their candidate. Its not like the average person is going to show up, it is a bit more involved then simply voting in an election.

No - the Republicans don't do the huddling stuff - it's a simple secret ballot...and there are NO machines.

Actually a fair number of people show up undecided.

DeadheadForPaul
10-16-2007, 10:29 PM
Hey guys, absentee ballots never get counted in the initial results. They basically stay in a building and are not counted unless the vote is close. Hell, my absentee ballot actually GOT RETURNED to me in 2006 and I sent it in during the specified period. I got it returned in the mail about 6 weeks after the election - wtf!

Im changing my residence and registered in this state now since i dont live in my "home state" all year round

Bradley in DC
10-16-2007, 10:48 PM

Just so they don't put breathalizers at the polling places. :D