PDA

View Full Version : AP issues directive to stop calling New York mosque "Ground Zero Mosque"

itshappening
08-19-2010, 02:54 PM
But not to stop calling Ron Paul's presidential bid "quixotic" or "long shot" ?

Maybe we should ask for a similar directive ??

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20100819/pl_yblog_upshot/ap-advises-staff-on-location-of-islamic-center-and-mosque

The Associated Press, one of world's most powerful news organizations, issued a memo today advising staff to avoid the phrase "Ground Zero mosque."

The Upshot reported Tuesday that the AP started using the phrase "Ground Zero mosque" in some headlines in late May. The New York Times, for one, has consciously avoided that phrasing.

The AP began using the phrase as the controversy over the proposed Islamic cultural center and mosque in Lower Manhattan started bubbling up to the national level. Many news organizations, across platforms, routinely dub the project the "Ground Zero Mosque."

The AP has always been clear in the text of stories that the project would be built two blocks from Ground Zero and not on the actual site. But AP headlines, at times, ran with the phrase adopted by opponents of the project and amplified by the media.

Now the news organization is taking steps to make sure that no longer occurs.

"We should continue to avoid the phrase 'ground zero mosque' or 'mosque at ground zero' on all platforms," said Tom Kent, the AP's deputy managing editor for standards and production, in the memo the news organization shared with The Upshot.

sratiug
08-19-2010, 03:03 PM
Good. Now maybe they'll start reporting on the ground zero new world order trade center actually being built on ground zero.

erowe1
08-19-2010, 03:19 PM
That was never a very good name anyway. It should be called "The 9/11 Victory Mosque."

wizardwatson
08-19-2010, 03:35 PM
That was never a very good name anyway. It should be called "The 9/11 Victory Mosque."

:eek:

:D

Yieu
08-19-2010, 04:15 PM

To celebrate the victory of the coming together of Americans and Muslims, by once and for all shedding all unwarranted prejudice... it would certainly be a victory in that sense if they do not try to block its existence.

erowe1
08-19-2010, 04:22 PM
To celebrate the victory of the coming together of Americans and Muslims, by once and for all shedding all unwarranted prejudice... it would certainly be a victory in that sense if they do not try to block its existence.

Sure, yeah, if that's what they want to build the mosque there for. I admit that I don't really know. And I definitely don't think it's anything government at any level has any business interfering in. But I remain skeptical.

Yieu
08-19-2010, 04:27 PM
Sure, yeah, if that's what they want to build the mosque there for. I admit that I don't really know. And I definitely don't think it's anything government at any level has any business interfering in. But I remain skeptical.

I don't really know what they're building it for any more than you (other than for obvious religious purposes), but we're guaranteed that the government will respect our freedom of religion as well as our property rights, so it would be unconstitutional to not allow them to build a mosque there so long as they own the land.

erowe1
08-19-2010, 04:44 PM
I don't really know what they're building it for any more than you (other than for obvious religious purposes), but we're guaranteed that the government will respect our freedom of religion as well as our property rights, so it would be unconstitutional to not allow them to build a mosque there so long as they own the land.

Right. Just what I said.