PDA

View Full Version : Drug War Costs Elderly Woman Her Life and Taxpayers $4.9 Million

FrankRep
08-19-2010, 09:41 AM
http://www.thenewamerican.com/images/stories/us_news_62010/swat.001.jpg

On November 21, 2006, 92-year-old Kathryn Johnston of Atlanta suddenly found herself the victim of a home invasion, committed by a local narcotics unit with a no-knock warrant. by Michael Tennant

Drug War Costs Elderly Woman Her Life and Taxpayers $4.9 Million (http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/usnews/crime/4350-drug-war-costs-elderly-woman-her-life-and-taxpayers-49-million)

Michael Tennant | The New American (http://www.thenewamerican.com/)
19 August 2010

On November 21, 2006, 92-year-old Kathryn Johnston of Atlanta suddenly found herself the victim of a home invasion. When several armed men burst into her home with no warning, she did the only sensible thing: She pulled a gun on them.

Johnston got off just one shot from the old revolver, missing all the intruders, before the men fired 39 bullets her way, with five hitting her body.

The home invaders, it turns out, were members of the Atlanta Police Department’s narcotics unit. They had broken into Johnston’s home on a tip from a man they had arrested earlier on drug charges, who told them they would find a large amount of cocaine in her house. Finding no illegal drugs of any kind, “the officers handcuffed Ms. Johnston and left her to bleed and die on the floor of her own home while they planted marijuana in her basement,” in the words (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,312240,00.html) of Radley Balko, writing for Fox News a year after the raid.

The cops had fabricated a story about an informant who had allegedly bought drugs from Johnston on the police department’s dime in order to obtain a “no knock” warrant — not that getting such a warrant was very difficult in a city where judges, said Balko, “rather systematically approved those warrants with no scrutiny at all (the judge in the Johnston case literally rubber-stamped the warrant).” After they had killed Johnston and realized their necks could be on the line, they pressured the informant to back up their story.

“That informant — Alex White — refused, and bravely came forward to tell the media what had happened,” Balko explained. “Had he given in to the pressure put on him by APD narcotics officers, the world would still likely believe Kathryn Johnston was a drug dealer, and her killing was justified.”

Investigations found that “corruption at the Atlanta Police Department was so pervasive, Police Chief Richard Pennington eventually had to replace the entire narcotics division,” added Balko.

Furthermore, three of the officers involved are now serving prison time (and were ordered to split Johnston’s funeral costs) for their involvement in the episode.

Nearly four years after Johnston was senselessly murdered, her family has finally received some recompense for her death in the form of a $4.9 million settlement of a lawsuit filed against the city by Johnston’s niece, according to CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/08/16/georgia.botched.raid/index.html?hpt=T2). “Initially filed in state court, the suit was moved to federal court, where a judge ordered the parties to mediation,” said the report.

Certainly Johnston’s family deserves compensation for her death, yet the justice of the settlement is marred by the fact that it must be extracted forcibly from taxpayers, the same taxpayers who paid for the initial raid, the judge who rubber-stamped the warrant, and the investigations and trials — and who must now also pay to incarcerate the three convicted officers.

Perhaps even worse is the fact that though the APD has, one hopes, improved its narcotics division’s record since Johnston’s death, the unconstitutional war on drugs that cost Johnston her life continues with no end in sight.

The federal war on drugs and the attendant militarization of local police departments are tailor-made to produce just since incidents as this. The corruption the drug war introduces into police departments is unparalleled, though it certainly has precedent in America’s previous attempt to prohibit a politically unpopular substance: alcohol. The intrusion into people’s lives and liberties — and their property via asset forfeiture — is certainly not befitting a supposedly free country. On top of that, the taxes necessary to wage the war, to prosecute the war’s victims (at least those lucky enough not to suffer Johnston’s fate), and then to incarcerate those convicted of drug offenses are astronomical.

Therefore, while some measure of justice has been meted out for the death of Kathryn Johnston, if Americans are serious about preventing such incidents in the future, “reforms” and “reorganizations” of local narcotics units aren’t going to cut it. The only solution is to force America’s drug war-addicted law-enforcement system to go cold turkey. Withdrawal may be painful, but the long-term health of the country depends on it.

SOURCE:
http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/usnews/crime/4350-drug-war-costs-elderly-woman-her-life-and-taxpayers-49-million

pcosmar
08-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Certainly Johnston’s family deserves compensation for her death, yet the justice of the settlement is marred by the fact that it must be extracted forcibly from taxpayers, the same taxpayers who paid for the initial raid, the judge who rubber-stamped the warrant, and the investigations and trials — and who must now also pay to incarcerate the three convicted officers.

I do not know how many arguments I got into over this case.
The stink was so bad I could smell it here. Being "right" is no consolation.

I have long felt that the Judge that signed the warrant was equally responsible for this murder.
:mad:

Krugerrand
08-19-2010, 10:15 AM
Had she killed one of the cops, he would have had a celebrity funeral with parade an all.

jmdrake
08-19-2010, 10:49 AM
1) The cops involved should be in prison.
2) No knock warrants should be abolished.

oyarde
08-19-2010, 01:39 PM
1) The cops involved should be in prison.
2) No knock warrants should be abolished.

The entire system of warrants should be scrapped.Time to start over with some common sense.

Mach
08-19-2010, 01:52 PM
I hope those "Officers" were put in with the general population.

Pericles
08-19-2010, 02:02 PM
I have long felt that the Judge that signed the warrant was equally responsible for this murder.
:mad:

This - judges escape any responsibility for failing to execute the duties of the office.

Some impeachments would have good effect.

pcosmar
08-19-2010, 02:30 PM
This - judges escape any responsibility for failing to execute the duties of the office.

Some impeachments would have good effect.

Impeachments ?
You are too kind.

still, it would be a start.

jmdrake
08-19-2010, 02:50 PM
The entire system of warrants should be scrapped.Time to start over with some common sense.

What exactly would you suggest? We could end up scrapping the system and end up with no warrants. :eek:

No knock warrants are an obvious problem that are in a different category from regular warrants. If the cops had properly identified themselves, this lady and other victims like her would still be alive.

pcosmar
08-19-2010, 02:57 PM
What exactly would you suggest? We could end up scrapping the system and end up with no warrants. :eek:

No knock warrants are an obvious problem that are in a different category from regular warrants. If the cops had properly identified themselves, this lady and other victims like her would still be alive.

Also the issue of anonymous tips, confidential informants and snitch programs.

'The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.'

Anti Federalist
08-19-2010, 02:57 PM
NVM, what I wrote would have got me banned.

jmdrake
08-19-2010, 02:59 PM
NVM, what I wrote would have got me banned.

LOL. You probably would have wrote what I thought.

jmdrake
08-19-2010, 03:01 PM

Didn't think about the "oath or affirmation" clause. Good point.

michaelwise
08-19-2010, 03:19 PM
$4.9 million for an un-justified dead 92 year on woman. This will really hurt the bankrupt city of Atlanta real good. Nice trade for knocking some sense into corrupt government. The court value of a 92 year old can't be more than $1 million, but it's nice to see the city thugs got hammered by this.

Anti Federalist
08-19-2010, 03:37 PM
LOL. You probably would have wrote what I thought.

I'm sure it's what a lot of people are thinking.

Didn't think about the "oath or affirmation" clause. Good point.

Yeah, +1776 for Pete, it hadn't occurred to me, either, that all of the snitches, spies and unnamed informants are a violation of the Oath and Affirmation clause, unless the system has it worked out that the cop requesting the warrant is the one testifying to the warrant's validity.

squarepusher
08-19-2010, 03:39 PM
wow, this story is just too much

oyarde
08-19-2010, 04:04 PM

Regular warrants are BS too.They should not be able to issue them for anything other than any type of violent crime or crimes that cause harm to others.Those are the only crimes that should be felonies.Warrants should not be issued because you failed to appear for a joint.Nobody should have to appear for that.They just want your money.You should be able to mail it in and go to work.

oyarde
08-19-2010, 04:10 PM

Yes , it is BS , cops arresting people for drugs with info from paid informants who are users and the cops do not care.

Pericles
08-19-2010, 04:21 PM
I'm sure it's what a lot of people are thinking.

Yeah, +1776 for Pete, it hadn't occurred to me, either, that all of the snitches, spies and unnamed informants are a violation of the Oath and Affirmation clause, unless the system has it worked out that the cop requesting the warrant is the one testifying to the warrant's validity.

Guilty of perjury for lying under oath.