PDA

View Full Version : Postal Worker

anewvoice
10-16-2007, 04:01 PM
I was in the post office today getting stamps for our delegate mailings and a worker noticed my car and says "Ok, who is Ron Paul". I of course have lit on me so I hand it to the man and he and his coworker briefly discuss it. I make sure to throw out the strong support base and 5 million raised in the quarter.

He thanked me and handed me the lit back. I got the impression he wasn't really comfortable accepting lit while working. Might be some kind of rule.

Shiranu
10-16-2007, 04:03 PM
Postal Workers spport big gov't, of course they cant like Ron Paul while on the job!

austin356
10-16-2007, 04:04 PM
postal people have not been real receptive...........

///////////////////////

Shiranu
10-16-2007, 04:05 PM
^---

hornet
10-16-2007, 04:06 PM
yeah politics on the job is a no no for federal employees, odds are he googled him when he got home though!:D

Freedom
10-16-2007, 04:13 PM
Postal workers should be very supportive of Ron Paul... The postal system is actual part of the Constitution, and you know how Ron Paul feels about the Constitution!

Marshall
10-16-2007, 04:31 PM
Postal Workers spport big gov't, of course they cant like Ron Paul while on the job!

I've been getting pretty friendly with the mailman who delivers to the office where I work. I didn't realize this, but all their funding is derived from stamps/fees, not taxes. At least it is in my state, but since it's federal I'd assume that it's the same everywhere. Hence it's not like they're married to keeping taxes to receive a paycheck.

werdd
10-16-2007, 04:31 PM
It's about the only organization the constitution outlines. It's constitutional.

JosephTheLibertarian
10-16-2007, 04:34 PM
Postal workers should be very supportive of Ron Paul... The postal system is actual part of the Constitution, and you know how Ron Paul feels about the Constitution!

it would be better privatized

Pete
10-16-2007, 04:38 PM
It's about the only organization the constitution outlines. It's constitutional.

RP said so in his Google interview.

Danny Molina
10-16-2007, 04:39 PM
I remember seeing a video where Dr. Paul said he wouldn't get rid of the post office, but he would allow competition.

Jordan
10-16-2007, 04:43 PM

What wouldnt?

steph3n
10-16-2007, 04:45 PM
the usps is badly managed and can be done much better. but it needs to exist.

anewvoice
10-16-2007, 04:48 PM
I believe Dr. Pauls stance is to open up competition for first class mail delivery.

Allow UPS, Fedex, DHL... to also deliver first class mail and let's see what happens.

Danny Molina
10-16-2007, 04:50 PM
Amtrak NEEDS to be privatized! That department isn't making any money at all. All the government does is throw money at it an no improvments are ever made.

Cap
10-16-2007, 05:22 PM
Deleted

JosephTheLibertarian
10-16-2007, 05:23 PM
What wouldnt?

hmm probably not the government ;)

quickmike
10-16-2007, 05:29 PM

They should keep the post office government run and legalize competition with first class mail. That way, people can see the difference between govt run and private run organizations in direct competition with each other. As it is now, its illegal for UPS and Fed Ex to compete with the post office when it comes to mailing letters first class.

hopeforamerica
10-16-2007, 05:33 PM
My postman took literature from me ;)

JosephTheLibertarian
10-16-2007, 06:03 PM
They should keep the post office government run and legalize competition with first class mail. That way, people can see the difference between govt run and private run organizations in direct competition with each other. As it is now, its illegal for UPS and Fed Ex to compete with the post office when it comes to mailing letters first class.

you can always repeal

richk
10-16-2007, 09:00 PM
Hey Cap,

I'm also a postal worker (letter carrier) and I have been a Paul supporter for a few years now. Most everyone in my station knows who I support and there are a few receptive people. Most are just apathetic just like the rest of the country.

I'm not here to defend the USPS (I'm here to support Dr. Paul) but, as a previous poster mentioned, we are a self-sufficient quasi-govt. agency. Postage fees, stamps, etc. fully finances the Post Office. In fact, if you don't mail items (buy stamps, mail packages, etc.) you actually get free daily delivery (the sender pays the postage). Furthermore if you compare us to other countries, we're the best .

But, Joe, we would be more efficient if we were private. OTOH in today's age of computers, alot of people do not even need to utilize the PO.

As a final note, I have been lurking here for a few months and occasionally I hear a comment about the "government" worker. Just for the record, I have been working for the govt. for 25 years and I work damn hard every day. I could and have worked in the private sector; it's not a big deal. I only learned about libertarianism a few years ago and me quitting my job is not going to change the country.

I only bring this up because the last stats I heard (on Free Talk Live) was that 52% of the workforce is employed (in some manner) by the US Government. I don't think we should be badmouthing people that we could be recruiting instead.
Most people working for the govt. need a job just like the rest of us; they are not evil people. :)

And let's not forget Ron Paul works for the government also. :) :)

saku39
10-16-2007, 09:04 PM
I've heard that the US Postal Service is FedEx's biggest customer because they can do it cheaper by outsourcing to private companies. (This is not a knock on USPS, but the US government.)

saku39
10-16-2007, 09:06 PM
Hey Cap,

I'm also a postal worker (letter carrier) and I have been a Paul supporter for a few years now. Most everyone in my station knows who I support and there are a few receptive people. Most are just apathetic just like the rest of the country.

I'm not here to defend the USPS (I'm here to support Dr. Paul) but, as a previous poster mentioned, we are a self-sufficient quasi-govt. agency. Postage fees, stamps, etc. fully finances the Post Office. In fact, if you don't mail items (buy stamps, mail packages, etc.) you actually get free daily delivery (the sender pays the postage). Furthermore if you compare us to other countries, we're the best .

But, Joe, we would be more efficient if we were private. OTOH in today's age of computers, alot of people do not even need to utilize the PO.

As a final note, I have been lurking here for a few months and occasionally I hear a comment about the "government" worker. Just for the record, I have been working for the govt. for 25 years and I work damn hard every day. I could and have worked in the private sector; it's not a big deal. I only learned about libertarianism a few years ago and me quitting my job is not going to change the country.

I only bring this up because the last stats I heard (on Free Talk Live) was that 52% of the workforce is employed (in some manner) by the US Government. I don't think we should be badmouthing people that we could be recruiting instead.
Most people working for the govt. need a job just like the rest of us; they are not evil people. :)

And let's not forget Ron Paul works for the government also. :) :)

Hi rickh, welcome to the REVOLUTION! :D

jessie_goines
10-16-2007, 09:29 PM
My mom delivers mail. She doesn't think just any company could deliver mail, she explained why but i didn't feel it was important enough to remember.I know she likes Ron Paul for his view on abortion. my mom is still asleep as are most of my relatives. What about the USDA...will Ron Paul get rid of it too?

libertythor
10-16-2007, 09:44 PM
What about the USDA...will Ron Paul get rid of it too?

The USDA was originally founded to disseminate farming advice and techniques, not to provide subsidies.

I imagine that RP would have it drastically downsized. The ag research functions would easily be taken over by the states that benefit from them.

ksuguy
10-16-2007, 10:00 PM
The USDA doesn't do all that much for food safety either. Most of the companies in the industry have internal screening processes that are a lot more thorough than the USDA inspectors.

AFTFNJ
10-16-2007, 10:29 PM
USDA is a piece of shit...ever read fast food nation? So is the FDA rBGH in our milk..approved Aspartame & sucralose. Aspartame is not safe & Sucralose has chlorine atoms...which is toxic.... FDA's job is to poison us. Lets not even talk about fluoride.

Use stevia or Xylitol as sugar substitutes

jonahtrainer
10-16-2007, 10:49 PM
My postman took literature from me ;)

So did mine. I even showed him a debate with my laptop. He keeps coming back for hundreds of slim-jims. He says he gives them to the people at his church...

ValidusCustodiae
10-16-2007, 11:44 PM
My mother is a retired Postmaster, and my sister is a rural letter carrier. I am about as familiar as a person can be with the USPS without having actually ever worked for it. I have always appreciated its viability as an institution of our government which actually performs a vital service. The USPS basically runs itself and does not feed on public funding. As far as legalizing competition in first class mail, isn't that what the free market is all about? The Constitution doesn't restrict this, so government ought not to either. There is nothing wrong with the idea of a competitive USPS.

There is something wrong with a system that forces government workers to pay into social security but denies them benefits to it. Of course, social security is a flawed system to begin with. Why does an entire population need to share one retirement plan?

JosephTheLibertarian
10-17-2007, 06:38 AM
Is there a way to repeal Title 39 of the United States Code?

deedles
10-17-2007, 07:09 AM
[QUOTE=AFTFNJ;279950]USDA is a piece of shit...ever read fast food nation? So is the FDA rBGH in our milk..approved Aspartame & sucralose. Aspartame is not safe & Sucralose has chlorine atoms...which is toxic.... FDA's job is to poison us. Lets not even talk about fluoride.

or GMO good, or vaccines. Let's not even talk about the poison called 'medication', also approved by the FDA.

Sematary
10-17-2007, 07:11 AM

My wife works for the postal service and she supports Ron Paul.
Unlike most, she understands something that most people don't - the postal service is NOT supported by taxpayer dollars and IS a part of the constitution.

JosephTheLibertarian
10-17-2007, 07:13 AM
My wife works for the postal service and she supports Ron Paul.
Unlike most, she understands something that most people don't - the postal service is NOT supported by taxpayer dollars and IS a part of the constitution.

Yes, but that doesn't mean we can't CHANGE the Constitution. It would definitely fall into my list of "don't needs"

Sematary
10-17-2007, 07:18 AM

It essentially has been. It could actually be profitable if not for the fact that Congress sets its budgets and tells it that it can't make money.

And - p.s.

The post offices in small communities all around the nation wouldn't exist if the p.o. were privatized because they are not profitable. BUT, they ARE centralized locations within small communities where vital communications occur. If delivering the mail were built strictly on a profit motive, almost every small town in America would be fucked because there is NO profit in small towns for mail, no matter who delivers it - so it wouldn't get delivered. There was a reason the constitution has the provision for the postal service and why it will never go.

Sematary
10-17-2007, 07:21 AM
Yes, but that doesn't mean we can't CHANGE the Constitution. It would definitely fall into my list of "don't needs"

If it weren't necessary, then it wouldn't have been put into the constitution. The ability for ALL Americans to be able to receive correspondence easily and affordably is of utmost importance.

literatim
10-17-2007, 07:24 AM
If it weren't necessary, then it wouldn't have been put into the constitution. The ability for ALL Americans to be able to receive correspondence easily and affordably is of utmost importance.

It is especially important during war time. If there is a war on our soil, does anyone truly want to rely on a company to guarantee letters to reach across dangerous battlefields?

Cowlesy
10-17-2007, 07:24 AM
Okay...maybe I am the only one, but I love and use the USPS due to the fact I've never had a letter lost that I've dropped in the mail, and those letters are always delivered extremely quickly.

JosephTheLibertarian
10-17-2007, 07:32 AM

conflicts with my philosophy

Sematary
10-17-2007, 07:38 AM
conflicts with my philosophy

What philosophy says that people can't get mail?

freedominnumbers
10-17-2007, 07:54 AM
My only gripe with the PO (It could be their union actually) is the "Northeast Update" rag they send to the postal workers which pushes select political philosophies and political candidates.

freelance
10-17-2007, 08:02 AM
I've heard that the US Postal Service is FedEx's biggest customer because they can do it cheaper by outsourcing to private companies. (This is not a knock on USPS, but the US government.)

It's called SmartPost:
http://www.fedex.com/us/smartpost/approach/index.html?link=4

jj111
10-17-2007, 08:04 AM
Next step for Ron Paul campaign: Go Postal!

JosephTheLibertarian
10-17-2007, 08:56 AM
It essentially has been. It could actually be profitable if not for the fact that Congress sets its budgets and tells it that it can't make money.

And - p.s.

The post offices in small communities all around the nation wouldn't exist if the p.o. were privatized because they are not profitable. BUT, they ARE centralized locations within small communities where vital communications occur. If delivering the mail were built strictly on a profit motive, almost every small town in America would be fucked because there is NO profit in small towns for mail, no matter who delivers it - so it wouldn't get delivered. There was a reason the constitution has the provision for the postal service and why it will never go.

you just pulled that out of your ass. Did you know that the US Postal Service actually LOSES money every year? Every year is a net loss