PDA

View Full Version : We need to encourage Gary Johnson to run for Senate in New Mexico in 2012

MRoCkEd
08-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Instead of starting off a longshot campaign for presidency with virtually no name recognition, I believe Gary should run for Senate in New Mexico where he is known and would have a decent chance.

It's fine if he chooses to run for president, though, to inject real issues into the debate and act as backup for Ron Paul.

However, Ron recently cited people wanting to give a "younger candidate" a chance, presumably referring Gary Johnson, as being a possible reason he wouldn't run.

We can't let Gary Johnson be the reason Ron Paul doesn't run again.

/2 cents

Kotin
08-18-2010, 01:13 PM
I have been thinking this as well.. but it seems to me he's not interested kinda like Schiff was not interested in a House seat.. I hope I am wrong.

but maybe the fact that we have so many potential liberty Senators could convince him.. I don't know how much communication and coordination will be/is going on between Ron Paul's camp and Gary Johnson..

johnrocks
08-18-2010, 01:15 PM
I'd love for him to, my Brother lives in New Mexico, he was a great Governor and still popular there but it just doesn't seem like he has that political fire in his belly to be just 1 of 100, he wants to be Chief Executive or nothing. That just is my opinion and I could be as wrong as I was about 10000 other things in my life:p

Stary Hickory
08-18-2010, 01:15 PM
I agree Gary Johnson has no shot at POTUS(at this time) but he could do a lot of good for this country in the Senate.

MRoCkEd
08-18-2010, 01:22 PM
Now who will start the draft site?
Maybe turn one of those presidential draft sites into a senatorial one?

ItsTime
08-18-2010, 01:25 PM
Sounds good to me.

Elwar
08-18-2010, 01:28 PM
He seems to be gearing up for a presidential run.

And it will be helpful for Ron Paul if he runs.

djdellisanti4
08-18-2010, 01:36 PM
E-mail/letter writing campaign too? I'd be glad to help!

Dreamofunity
08-18-2010, 01:45 PM
This sounds like a much better idea than a Presidential run.

Epic
08-18-2010, 01:59 PM
Yeah he should just run for Senate. That would be better.

He's not going to be President. He could definitely win the senate seat, it would probably be something of a tossup. I think he's fairly popular in New Mexico, even though the state leans a bit left.

djdellisanti4
08-18-2010, 02:07 PM
Yeah he should just run for Senate. That would be better.

He's not going to be President. He could definitely win the senate seat, it would probably be something of a tossup. I think he's fairly popular in New Mexico, even though the state leans a bit left.

We'll his foreign policy should help (assuming he sticks to a libertarian-ish one).

Minuteman2012
08-18-2010, 02:14 PM
This is a better idea than running for president. honestly, he would just be wasting his time and effort and wouldn't get more than a couple percent in the primaries. He has a successful record in New Mexico, and is well known there. In my mind, if he announced, he would be the frontrunner as he is probably the most well known Republican in New Mexico. Hopefully that grassroots tea party conservative wave will continue into the 2012 elections and Gary Johnson will be able to ride it.

JCF
08-18-2010, 02:16 PM
I agree, the only reason for him to run for president would be to spread the message, but I've seen Gary Speak and he's no Ron Paul... Not say Ron's even a great speaker, just the style... I don't see Gary's as being anything that could attract voters the same way Paul has... But you never know.

Senate would be best.

erowe1
08-18-2010, 02:30 PM
Now who will start the draft site?

Great idea.

Somebody, please do this!

erowe1
08-18-2010, 02:31 PM
He seems to be gearing up for a presidential run.

Which is why time is of the essence, and we need to get on the ball to get him to do this.

Elwar
08-18-2010, 02:39 PM
I still see him in the debates along with Ron Paul as only helping Ron Paul and himself.

You can't call Ron Paul "quixotic" or "kooky" or whatever they called him all election season if more than one person is saying almost the same thing.

erowe1
08-18-2010, 02:42 PM
I still see him in the debates along with Ron Paul as only helping Ron Paul and himself.

You can't call Ron Paul "quixotic" or "kooky" or whatever they called him all election season if more than one person is saying almost the same thing.

I agree with that. But if we could get him in the senate, I don't think it would be worth giving that up just to have him join RP in the debates.

speciallyblend
08-18-2010, 03:19 PM
Personally i would like to see a Paul/Johnson ticket! Whatever pans out those 2 are great fighters of Liberty. If Ron Paul doesn't win the gop nomination. I will be encouraging Ron Or Gary to run indy or Lp or under a new banner! all this depends on the functionality of the gop!!

speciallyblend
08-18-2010, 03:21 PM

totally agree;) i also think Gary and Ron should be holding the gop's feet to the fire a lil more however they see fit!

Imperial
08-18-2010, 03:31 PM
I would love to see Johnson in the debates, then drop-out for the Senate race and endorse Paul and Paul endorse Johnson.

speciallyblend
08-18-2010, 03:40 PM
I would love to see Johnson in the debates, then drop-out for the Senate race and endorse Paul and Paul endorse Johnson.

that sounds very logical

PBrady
08-18-2010, 04:21 PM
I was fortunate enough to speak with Gary for about 2 hours last night. A couple of things:

1) Gary isn't a politician. Anyone who speaks with him for maybe 2 minutes or more would recognize this. It is my opinion that he has no desire to sit in the senate and basically just vote up or down on things. It would, in my estimation, be a complete waste of money for someone who has so much more potential as a natural leader.

2) He was born to be an executive. Whether it be of his privately owned company, the state of New Mexico, or the United States. It sort of goes in with my previous point about it being a waste for him to just vote yes or no on legislation. While in New Mexico, Gary didn't just veto legislation, he fundamentally transformed the way things government was run.

3) I don't honestly believe that either him or Ron would win in 2012 (though I honestly do believe that Gary has a better shot once he becomes known). Obviously Ron won't be doing any other running (besides perhaps in his own district) after that election. He needs, in my opinion, to visibly pass the torch. It simply won't be enough for him to do it in some e-mail in 2013/14/15/etc.

4) I'm really not concerned about name recognition right now. Look at how far someone like Obama came in the matter of under 2 years. There is plenty of time, especially since he is the ONLY candidate (save Ron) that actually has a CLEARLY PROVEN conservative record.

I'd type more, but I'm going to go eat. Basically, I would be fully enthusiastic no matter which one decides to run. I think that our best bet in the semi-long run, though, is with Gary (unless Rand becomes a Republican Darling after elected - but by then, I'd imagine he would have already sold all of his libertarian-leaning soul to the party).

...now let the flaming commence.

trey4sports
08-18-2010, 04:41 PM
I was fortunate enough to speak with Gary for about 2 hours last night. A couple of things:

1) Gary isn't a politician. Anyone who speaks with him for maybe 2 minutes or more would recognize this. It is my opinion that he has no desire to sit in the senate and basically just vote up or down on things. It would, in my estimation, be a complete waste of money for someone who has so much more potential as a natural leader.

2) He was born to be an executive. Whether it be of his privately owned company, the state of New Mexico, or the United States. It sort of goes in with my previous point about it being a waste for him to just vote yes or no on legislation. While in New Mexico, Gary didn't just veto legislation, he fundamentally transformed the way things government was run.

3) I don't honestly believe that either him or Ron would win in 2012 (though I honestly do believe that Gary has a better shot once he becomes known). Obviously Ron won't be doing any other running (besides perhaps in his own district) after that election. He needs, in my opinion, to visibly pass the torch. It simply won't be enough for him to do it in some e-mail in 2013/14/15/etc.

4) I'm really not concerned about name recognition right now. Look at how far someone like Obama came in the matter of under 2 years. There is plenty of time, especially since he is the ONLY candidate (save Ron) that actually has a CLEARLY PROVEN conservative record.

I'd type more, but I'm going to go eat. Basically, I would be fully enthusiastic no matter which one decides to run. I think that our best bet in the semi-long run, though, is with Gary (unless Rand becomes a Republican Darling after elected - but by then, I'd imagine he would have already sold all of his libertarian-leaning soul to the party).

...now let the flaming commence.

I like your analysis but GJ would be running too far to the left to win the nom. in terms of social issues. Granted all of us on the forums know about him and like him but someone who is a pro-lifer and pro-pot would not, could not, and will not win the Republican nomination without some type of revolution.

erowe1
08-18-2010, 04:46 PM
Look at how far someone like Obama came in the matter of under 2 years.

...in the U.S. Senate.

Kevin_Kennedy
08-18-2010, 04:48 PM
I like the idea of him running for Senate, especially if Ron Paul runs for President again. If RP doesn't run, however, I think Gary Johnson is our best candidate to run for President.

Agorism
08-18-2010, 04:59 PM
I like the idea of senate unless Paul does not want to run for president.

BamaFanNKy
08-18-2010, 05:07 PM
Fuck that. Gary should run for President Period.

Agorism
08-18-2010, 05:55 PM
If he took one vote from Paul, I'd be pissed.

PBrady
08-18-2010, 06:07 PM
...in the U.S. Senate.
But he did not become known because of anything he did in the US Senate, as we all know. He became big on the campaign trail.

Another factor why I think Gary would be good is because he has a certain "coolness" factor about him that I don't think the Republican party has seen in...well, forever. He was joking about how him and his son were doing some big biking marathon in Iowa a few months back, and how the people there were very impressed that Mitt's kids came and did 2 legs of it while Mitt was on the campaign trail (Gary and his son did all of it, just because that's what they do). Both him and his son are constantly out either hiking mountains or participating in triathalons/marathons, etc.

Also, Gary's views do not differ enough from Ron's that it would make a substantial difference from the party. I specifically asked about what his response from the base of the party (particularly the christian aspects) whenever he talks about marijuana, and he said almost all of time, they basically concede, and say they are just more concerned about muslims and whatnot.

Fuck that. Gary should run for President Period.
This.

If he took one vote from Paul, I'd be pissed.
Again, Ron has no chance of winning. He knows that. You know that. I know that. Everyone here knows deep down that he will not win (despite that, though, I will still give as much as humanly possible when he announces - and I would encourage others to do the same). As stated in my previous post, I'd rather see him pass the torch as the height of his popularity and while still in the limelight. It would do far more for the long term stability of the liberty movement.

lx43
08-18-2010, 06:24 PM
I would support either one.

Agorism
08-18-2010, 06:38 PM
Again, Ron has no chance of winning. He knows that. You know that. I know that. Everyone here knows deep down that he will not win (despite that, though, I will still give as much as humanly possible when he announces - and I would encourage others to do the same). As stated in my previous post, I'd rather see him pass the torch as the height of his popularity and while still in the limelight. It would do far more for the long term stability of the liberty movement.

He can win, and he has a better shot than Johnson.

We win in Kentucky and CPAC again, and hopefully this will be enough to tip his hat into the race.

NewFederalist
08-18-2010, 06:44 PM
Gary Johnson could have run for the U.S. Senate when Pete Domenici retired. He chose not to and the GOP lost two U.S. Representatives in the process. Since he did not step up then to run for an open seat why would he want to take on Jeff Bingaman in 2012? He would not be a sure winner over Bingaman and since he didn't try to defend the seat Domenici held forever I don't believe he has any interest in being a legislator. I would have to believe the New Mexico GOP is at least a little pissed at him because they now have no members of Congress in either house. They went from 1 U.S. Senator and two (of three) U.S. Representatives to zilch. If he was interested in going to the Senate and preventing a GOP meltdown in New Mexico he would have done it. He is a leader not a legislator.

libertybrewcity
08-18-2010, 07:09 PM
Gary Johnson could have run for the U.S. Senate when Pete Domenici retired. He chose not to and the GOP lost two U.S. Representatives in the process. Since he did not step up then to run for an open seat why would he want to take on Jeff Bingaman in 2012? He would not be a sure winner over Bingaman and since he didn't try to defend the seat Domenici held forever I don't believe he has any interest in being a legislator. I would have to believe the New Mexico GOP is at least a little pissed at him because they now have no members of Congress in either house. They went from 1 U.S. Senator and two (of three) U.S. Representatives to zilch. If he was interested in going to the Senate and preventing a GOP meltdown in New Mexico he would have done it. He is a leader not a legislator.

Ron Paul is a leader, not a legislator, but look what he has done.

If GJ was currently governor in his second term, I would say go for president because he could be making news right now, whether it be with taxes, spending, immigration, or marijuana. I don't think he is intertwined enough in US politics to be a high tier contender for the nominee. Remember, he will be running with his legs tied straight into the RNC Palin-Romney-Huckabee monster.

I haven't seen him speak in person, but what I have seen from him online is that he is not by any means a charismatic speaker. I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't think I'm alone. Go back and listen to his R4R speech. He sounded self-centered and boring, like he was trying to get his name out there exactly so he could run for president.

Agorism
08-18-2010, 07:13 PM
So Gary Johnson is good at running things smoothly and getting good approval. That's great.

But I want Ron Paul because he will oppose government intervention even if it's potentially politically destabilizing meaning he won't allow the government to function no matter what. NO NO NO no matter what. Oppose new programs, oppose loose monetary policy, bring the empire down.

YouTube - V for Vendetta and The Matrix (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvCHP7Q7Vf0)

libertybrewcity
08-18-2010, 07:16 PM

Ron has no chance of winning? He won the CPAC straw poll for Christ's sake. He has thousands of supporters ready to drive to Iowa, including me, to campaign and get him a victory in the Ames straw poll and caucuses.

If you think that Ron doesn't have a chance, then Johnson must have absolutely ZERO chance. One, Johnson is not a skilled speaker. Two, Johnson has little to no name recognition, UNLIKE Ron Paul. Three, Johnson is considered liberal on issues like abortion that won't fly in probably half the states.

Remember, he has to pass the REPUBLICAN primaries before he faces BO. He has to WIN states like Kentucky, IOWA, Oklahoma, and Kansas, the bible belt social conservatives.

Even on RPF's, a site that trends libertarian, I have heard on many occasions fellow forum members saying they would not support any candidates, including Ron Paul that don't support a ban on abortion.

Add everything I said all together and you have only one thing, Johnson in the senate and Ron Paul in the presidency.

PBrady
08-18-2010, 07:22 PM
Ron has no chance of winning? He won the CPAC straw poll for Christ's sake.

http://overpixelated.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/picard-facepalm2.jpg

libertybrewcity
08-18-2010, 07:44 PM
http://overpixelated.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/picard-facepalm2.jpg

No, I think that's a facepalm for you. I am saying that because he won CPAC he has the base support to win or place 2nd in the Ames straw poll. Winning this automatically places Paul as a frontrunner for the nomination, gives him millions in free media coverage, and that is not to mention the millions in funding that comes with it. If he wins the Ames straw poll it wouldn't be too hard to win the Iowa caucuses or come in second.

PBrady
08-18-2010, 08:07 PM
Do you think Ron is running in vacuum or something? The media will start pouring it on if they start to think he has an actual chance...just like after Rand won his primary. Except Ron will actually have the balls to face issues like the CRA act head on, and not just dodge, and dodge, and dodge like Rand. Next will be the Republicans using the "he's too old" excuse to mask the fact that they simply don't like him, and would prefer every other candidate BUT him.

If you thought the media was bad last time, imagine what they'll do if he actually gains some ground...

Believe me, I WANT to be proven wrong. I hope I'm wrong. I really do. Looking at it from the most realistic perspective, though...it simply won't happen.

trey4sports
08-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Do you think Ron is running in vacuum or something? The media will start pouring it on if they start to think he has an actual chance...just like after Rand won his primary. Except Ron will actually have the balls to face issues like the CRA act head on, and not just dodge, and dodge, and dodge like Rand. Next will be the Republicans using the "he's too old" excuse to mask the fact that they simply don't like him, and would prefer every other candidate BUT him.

If you thought the media was bad last time, imagine what they'll do if he actually gains some ground...

Believe me, I WANT to be proven wrong. I hope I'm wrong. I really do. Looking at it from the most realistic perspective, though...it simply won't happen.

i understand and somewhat agree with what you're saying. There is no way that Ron will be treated like a regular conservative.

If he wins Iowa EVERYONE will say how bad he is and that he's a racist, too old, and everything under the sun, however, with a strong enough base and enough money we can do something that hasn't been done in a century.....

Win the presidency with a grassroots movement

It is important to remember that it will come down to you and me to win this race for Ron Paul. We can't rely on anyone else to do it. This will NOT be a convential race in any sense of the word......

even if Ron isn't the next president of the United States Of America he will be shaking the establishment to the core.....

Instant gratification may be a long shot but the long term effects will be astounding

libertybrewcity
08-18-2010, 08:29 PM

And you think that Johnson won't have it just as bad? Oh believe me, he will have it worse. Johnson has virtually no name recognition so the media wouldn't even acknowledge him. When they do he will be recognized for his views on marijuana legalization and nothing else.

Ron Paul has the ability through the grass roots to overcome the medias bias. He has been polling at around 10% nationally plus or minus a couple, and around that in many states.

In 2007 and 2008 Ron Paul had a handful of supporters. I came on board right after Ron Paul dropped out. I was completely turned on to his point of view until a few months later. That is a similar story to thousands of people, and many in the tea parties who have a favorable view of him. What you don't understand is that this race is all about delegates. If Ron Paul wins the Iowa caucus which it would be very possible to do with his amount of active support he would have the most delegates. The media may bash him down, but they can't ignore the win. Given his past track records at CPAC and Southern Conference could easily win Ames and the Iowa Caucus.

Also, Ron Paul will have not only an incredible grassroots campaign; I am guessing it would be at least 10-20 times the size of the NH grassroots campaign in 08. Imagine how much money he would raise from the initial entry-into-the-primary announcement. There have been estimates anywhere from 6-18 million dollars, more than enough to do a full blast ad campaign throughout NH for months.

Now compare this likelihood of success to Johnson's entry into the campaign. He might raise a little bit. I don't think he would have many major donors. He would have zero media coverage, not even bad media coverage. He would have some grassroots support, but not likely to be as active and enthusiastic as Ron Paul. He would have zero name recognition, almost be guaranteed to lose the straw poll miserably, and get torn apart for being pro-choice and thus basically more libertarian than Paul.

MRoCkEd
08-18-2010, 09:02 PM
And you think that Johnson won't have it just as bad? Oh believe me, he will have it worse. Johnson has virtually no name recognition so the media wouldn't even acknowledge him. When they do he will be recognized for his views on marijuana legalization and nothing else.

Ron Paul has the ability through the grass roots to overcome the medias bias. He has been polling at around 10% nationally plus or minus a couple, and around that in many states.

In 2007 and 2008 Ron Paul had a handful of supporters. I came on board right after Ron Paul dropped out. I was completely turned on to his point of view until a few months later. That is a similar story to thousands of people, and many in the tea parties who have a favorable view of him. What you don't understand is that this race is all about delegates. If Ron Paul wins the Iowa caucus which it would be very possible to do with his amount of active support he would have the most delegates. The media may bash him down, but they can't ignore the win. Given his past track records at CPAC and Southern Conference could easily win Ames and the Iowa Caucus.

Also, Ron Paul will have not only an incredible grassroots campaign; I am guessing it would be at least 10-20 times the size of the NH grassroots campaign in 08. Imagine how much money he would raise from the initial entry-into-the-primary announcement. There have been estimates anywhere from 6-18 million dollars, more than enough to do a full blast ad campaign throughout NH for months.

Now compare this likelihood of success to Johnson's entry into the campaign. He might raise a little bit. I don't think he would have many major donors. He would have zero media coverage, not even bad media coverage. He would have some grassroots support, but not likely to be as active and enthusiastic as Ron Paul. He would have zero name recognition, almost be guaranteed to lose the straw poll miserably, and get torn apart for being pro-choice and thus basically more libertarian than Paul.
Excellent post!

rancher89
08-18-2010, 09:53 PM
Moot

It will either be RP or GJ, it won't be both. One or the other will be running for prez, the other will be supporting and will end up as the VP.

Regardless of what "we" think, or what anyone wants.

MRoCkEd
08-18-2010, 09:56 PM
Moot

It will either be RP or GJ, it won't be both. One or the other will be running for prez, the other will be supporting and will end up as the VP.

Ron Paul it is!
It would be great to have Gary help campaign for him.

speciallyblend
08-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Moot

pretty much how i see it. Ron Paul or Gary Johnson as prez candidate and possibly then as vp for the other! i really see no one else worth voting for in the gop for prez!

wonders if the gop gets this yet? probably not!

rancher89
08-18-2010, 10:13 PM
You'd be surprised.

There's a lot of unhappy people out there....dems, indies and gopers...

itshappening
08-19-2010, 04:45 AM
I think Ron and Gary will both run but Gary really has no chance in Iowa but will make the debates interesting

specsaregood
08-19-2010, 05:08 AM
...in the U.S. Senate.

But he did not become known because of anything he did in the US Senate, as we all know. He became big on the campaign trail.

Uhm, I guess you didn't realize Obama gave the keynote speech at the 2004 DNC convention -- before even being a senator!? How many other people with no federal political experience have gotten the keynote speech opportunity? A handful of people theorized right after that, that he would be running for president in 4 years. The man didn't come from nowhere, he was carefully selected for the job. How can you not see that? GJ has none of the establishment backing that Obama had to put him in position.

brenden.b
08-19-2010, 05:13 AM
Gary should run for Senate in 2012 and we should have someone start a Draft website to get him thinking the same way.

Elwar
08-19-2010, 05:59 AM
Either way. The plan was set in motion years ago. Ron and Gary are working toward the same goal. There will be no stepping on toes unless on purpose.

We just need to support them and get the word out.