PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Laura Quits Show After N-Word Controversy

bobbyw24
08-18-2010, 04:31 AM
Under fire for her repeated use of a racial epithet on air, Dr. Laura Schlessinger announced Tuesday night she is ending her radio show.

A week after she broadcast a five-minute-long rant in which she used the N-word 11 times, Schlessinger said on "Larry King Live" that she has decided "not to do radio anymore, ABC News and other news organizations reported.

"The reason is, I want to regain my First Amendment rights," she said. "I want to be able to say what's on my mind and in my heart and what I think is helpful and useful without somebody getting angry, some special interest group deciding this is the time to silence a voice of dissent and attack affiliates, attack sponsors. I'm sort of done with that."

She was trying to make a philosophical point, she said, but added, "I didn't help her [the caller] by making that point."

Schlessinger said she will not renew her contract, which expires at the end of the year. She said she told her bosses 10 minutes before she went on the air with King.

Story continues below with video

http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/schlessinger-quits-show-larry-king-racial-epithet/2010/08/17/id/367758

Mr.Magnanimous
08-18-2010, 04:56 AM
Well that's her choice and all (probably just wanted to avoid getting fired), but I don't think she said anything offensive. She didn't insult anyone, it's the context that matters.

I agree, people are too hypersensitive today. And kudos to her for having the balls to say that in todays world without hesitating.

jmdrake
08-18-2010, 05:55 AM
:rolleyes: @ Dr. Laura. I wonder if a caller had said "My husband is mean to me. He's always calling me b*tch." if Dr. Laura would have replied "Well some female comics and music stars use b*tch all the time. I don't understand why it's a problem if someone with a Y chromosome says it".

Dedicated to Dr. "B" Laura.

YouTube - I'm a Bitch, I'm a Lover (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8kiNMQIctg)

wizardwatson
08-18-2010, 08:12 AM
Schlessinger has been under fire since Media Matters posted audio from an Aug. 10 conversation she had with a black female caller. The caller was complaining about her white husband's friends and their use of the N-word. In response, Schlessinger said:

"Black guys use it all the time. Turn on HBO and listen to a black comic, and all you hear is n****r, n****r, n****r. I don't get it. If anybody without enough melanin says it, it's a horrible thing. But when black people say it, it's affectionate. It's very confusing."

When the caller said she was appalled by Schlessinger's use of the N-word, the radio host demurred, "Oh, then I guess you don't watch HBO or listen to any black comedians. My dear, the point I am trying to make ... [is that] we've got a black man as president and we've got more complaining about racism than ever. I think that's hilarious."

Their exchange heated up after that. When the caller said she couldn't believe Schlessinger was "on the radio spewing out" the N-word, Schlessinger said she "didn't spew out" the N-word and repeated, "n****r, n****r, n****r is what you hear on HBO."

She then criticized the caller, saying, "Don't take things out of context. Don't NAACP me."

Their conversation ended there. Schlessinger offered an epilogue to her audience: "If you're that hypersensitive about color and don't have a sense of humor, don't marry outside of your race."

I agree with Dr. Laura's point which few seem keen on.

Black people, and white people for that matter will crucify someone for even using the N-Word out of context. It is absolutely fucking ridiculous. As if by talking about the N-Word out of context and actually saying "******" while doing it, somehow the white person has some ulterior motive to get a secret gratification from using the word without actually using it.

There's a hilarious part in I think the second star wars spoof family guy did where they re-enact the scene on Hoth where Leia (Lois) calls Solo (Peter) a "NerfHerder" (which is the equivalent to calling someone like white trash I guess). The funny part is Peter doesn't react as if its a regular insult but as if that word was the N-Word. He punches Leia, and says like "How dare you call me that! That's our word!" And the joke is funny because its true. This word, while I understand the history and the drama surrounding it, has become a powder keg of ignorance.

I was in the chatty the other day and some person was getting indignant with me the same way this caller did with Dr. Laura, and the person talking with me wasn't even black, she was just dating a black guy or something, and had some misplaced need to "defend" minorities from my white smug stealthy racism.

Keep it up people. Keep talking and fretting with each other about racism, and gay marriage, and animal rights, and global warming, and abortion while these banker fucks rape and kill the children of the world we refuse to help/shelter and enslave the rest in a perpetual debt cycle.

HOLLYWOOD
08-18-2010, 08:25 AM
Dr Laura Schlessinger's PR/Management company... irony of their moto?

http://www.mgppr.com/photos.htm
http://www.mgppr.com/images/midnight4_r1_c15.gif

Checkout Dr. Laura Schlessinger with Mike Paul, President of MGP & Associates PR.

http://www.mgppr.com/images/dr_laura.jpg

fedup100
08-18-2010, 08:26 AM
Thank you Dr. Laura for having the balls to stand up for freedom of speech. Too bad it will fall on brainwashed, brain dead, PC correct sheep ears that will curtsy to their other than white controllers, all the way to the gallows.

erowe1
08-18-2010, 08:27 AM
"The reason is, I want to regain my First Amendment rights," she said. "I want to be able to say what's on my mind and in my heart and what I think is helpful and useful without somebody getting angry, some special interest group deciding this is the time to silence a voice of dissent and attack affiliates, attack sponsors. I'm sort of done with that."

I don't know anything about what happened. But this line annoys me. The 1st Amendment does not say you have the right to say what's on your mind without somebody getting angry and attacking affiliates and sponsors (I assume she means "attack" in a nonviolent way). You have the right to say what's on your mind, and they have the right to do those things.

ClayTrainor
08-18-2010, 08:34 AM
This link has the full audio in its original uncensored context. I don't see anything remotely racist about what she said. It's racial, but it's not racist.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/12/dr-lauras-n-word-rant-rad_n_680680.html

Elwar
08-18-2010, 08:34 AM
I don't think that Dr. Laura understands that when people refer to the word "******" they are speaking affectionately of 617 Squadron Wing Commander Guy Gibson's labrador retriever.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e4/******_%28dog%29.jpg/200px-******_%28dog%29.jpg
****** with members of 617 Squadron.

There are a lot of WWII British history buffs on HBO.

fedup100
08-18-2010, 09:22 AM
What word will be the next "******", will it be christian, Christ, Jesus, Constitution, freedom, please, help, the potential for tyranny is endless.

wizardwatson
08-18-2010, 09:38 AM
What word will be the next "******", will it be christian, Christ, Jesus, Constitution, freedom, please, help, the potential for tyranny is endless.

"In war, truth is the first casualty."

The race issue pisses me off, not so much because of the massive time sink and waste of energy it is. But because the people who "believe" its a problem mostly don't have a clue about what the real issues they bring up were caused by.

All this N-Word crap is tied to the stench of slavery and civil war that still hangs over this country. Race was the "cover" for what was always about money and power.

"White" people owned slaves. No, "rich" people owned slaves. Poor black people in Africa sold them to rich people in the US, and poor white people in US died in an unnecessary war to "free" the slaves which wasn't the real purpose either. War creates debt, so in a way the war was fought to further the "real" slavery that we're all still part of.

So we got the blackeys on one side pissed about the "racism" that is still here (aka they are still poor), and we got the whiteys pissed because 1/3 men died freeing a bunch of ungratefuls. Both sides ignorant of the real story, and the bad guy laughs his ass off as he skips down the street with both of their wallets.

MRoCkEd
08-18-2010, 09:40 AM
So... basically the free market takes care of racism?

jmdrake
08-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Question for those defending Dr. Laura. Do you really believe she would be so cavalier about men using the "b-word"? After all some women use it. How do you think WND would have covered the story if this had been Dr. Phil telling some non-Muslim wife of a Muslim not to worry about her in-laws using the word "infidel" because he heard some atheist comic refer to himself as a "infidel" so it must be ok? Do I think Dr. Laura should have been fired for using the N-word to make her point? No. I just don't think she's being intellectually honest with her point. Words do take on different meanings based on context, how the word is actually used, and yes, sometimes, even based on who the speaker is.

Anyway, like others have pointed out, free market.

wizardwatson
08-18-2010, 10:07 AM
Question for those defending Dr. Laura. Do you really believe she would be so cavalier about men using the "b-word"? After all some women use it. How do you think WND would have covered the story if this had been Dr. Phil telling some non-Muslim wife of a Muslim not to worry about her in-laws using the word "infidel" because he heard some atheist comic refer to himself as a "infidel" so it must be ok? Do I think Dr. Laura should have been fired for using the N-word to make her point? No. I just don't think she's being intellectually honest with her point. Words do take on different meanings based on context, how the word is actually used, and yes, sometimes, even based on who the speaker is.

The salient point here isn't that Dr. Laura's argument for using the N-Word was right or wrong, but that the caller got mad at Dr. Laura, who does not use the N-Word, just for using the N-Word out of context while discussing the word itself.

There are other examples of this crazy sort of "mental fundamentalism". Remember when that European cartoonist made a cartoon depicting Mohammed? That's a no-no to. More of a no-no than using the N-Word.

Austrian Econ Disciple
08-18-2010, 10:13 AM

This is bullshit. Just because you have more melatonin in your skin, doesn't change the meaning, or context of the word. If ****** is a word that shant be spoken, then it should be an either or. Either it is for everyone, or it isn't for anyone. This woman had a problem because white people were saying it, not in a racist tone, but just because they said it (If that isn't racist itself, well I'll be darned). Of course you are black and are defending this woman caller, no surprise.

DirtMcGirt
08-18-2010, 10:21 AM
Of course she is going to get blasted for using that word so loosely on the radio. If you going to use language that is deemed controversial you better come up with a well thought out dialogue w/ facts and not just claim black comedians use it so why can't I. If she would have brought some facts to the discussion, ex. In a recent Chris Rock special he used the word x amount of times it would have been received differently IMO...

ClayTrainor
08-18-2010, 10:21 AM
Question for those defending Dr. Laura. Do you really believe she would be so cavalier about men using the "b-word"? After all some women use it.

It doesn't matter what she thinks, the logic should stay the same. I've seen women call other women bitches, men call women bitches, and even see men calling other men "a little bitch". Sometimes it's hilarious, sometimes it's offensive, sometimes it's meaningful, sometimes it's neutral.

The point is, It completely depends on how it's said, not who's saying it. The same logic should apply to every word we can dream up.

TheEvilDetector
08-18-2010, 10:23 AM
Colours are still giving people fits.

How quaint.

Danke
08-18-2010, 10:26 AM
This link has the full audio in its original uncensored context. I don't see anything remotely racist about what she said. It's racial, but it's not racist.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/12/dr-lauras-n-word-rant-rad_n_680680.html

I agree.

wizardwatson
08-18-2010, 10:28 AM
This is bullshit. Just because you have more melatonin in your skin, doesn't change the meaning, or context of the word. If ****** is a word that shant be spoken, then it should be an either or. Either it is for everyone, or it isn't for anyone. This woman had a problem because white people were saying it, not in a racist tone, but just because they said it (If that isn't racist itself, well I'll be darned). Of course you are black and are defending this woman caller, no surprise.

LOL

This is why I find the whole debacle a comedic tragedy. Black people disagree internally about the use of the word, but seem to have a consensus that no one who isn't black should be using the word. It's like the whole worlds waiting with bated breath to see what the verdict is on this ever-so-important topic.

What Laura refers to in comedy shows was started and perpetuated mostly by Richard Pryor and Paul Mooney. Mooney says that use of the word in comedy was meant to "de-fang" the word, to take the sting out of it. But Mooney stopped using the word in his (mostly about racism) act after the Michael Richards incident because he said obviously he failed because it was still being used as a "weapon" as Richards demonstrated.

Now since Mooney started it (or claims to have) and has "seen the light" do you think other comedians like Chapelle/Katt Williams/Hughley will or have agreed to stop using it? Hardly.

I wish they'd just all realize this whole debate is pointless, and as Old Ducker said in the chatty "prohibition doesn't work, even for words" (think lenny bruce said that).

Just get over it or something, or discuss it if you feel you need to. But if a person can't even keep from getting enraged when some cracker like me uses the word out of context, I wonder about that persons ability to ever move beyond the world of emotional insecurities into the realm of real issues that actually matter.

chudrockz
08-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Without weighing in on the reason for her leaving.... good riddance to her awful radio show.

I listen to am radio sometimes in the car, and sometimes I would accidentally come across her voice. I could never stand to listen for more than a minute, MAYBE two, before I had to shut it off.

jmdrake
08-18-2010, 10:42 AM
It doesn't matter what she thinks, the logic should stay the same. I've seen women call other women bitches, men call women bitches, and even see men calling other men "a little bitch". Sometimes it's hilarious, sometimes it's offensive, sometimes it's meaningful, sometimes it's neutral.

The point is, It completely depends on how it's said, not who's saying it. The same logic should apply to every word we can dream up.

The identity of the speaker fits into interpreting how it's used. I doubt many women who call each other the "b-word" do so because they dislike women. You're an atheist. Would you ever think a fellow atheist that yelled to you "Death to infidels" was actually serious? If it was a Muslim saying this to you might you think it meant something? Would it matter to you if it was a Muslim you knew personally versus some random Muslim on the threat that might have seen you wearing a Mohamed cartoon t-shirt? (Not saying you wear one. Just using that as an example). Sometimes people can be just as off trying to be "non politically correct" as they are trying to be politically correct.

jmdrake
08-18-2010, 10:53 AM

Says you. :rolleyes: Again if this was the word "infidel" and it was about Muslims using it to describe non Muslims it would be an entirely different matter and you know it. WorldNetDaily would be saying "Dr. Phil is excusing verbal abuse by Muslims". Also you don't have "melatonin" in your skin. :rolleyes: That helps you sleep. Did you mean melanin? Lastly some white folks use the n-word all the time no problem because they have somewhat adopted black culture. There's no reason to think they mean anything buy it. Back to the Muslim example it would be like a Muslim you were buddies with jokingly calling you "infidel".

James Madison
08-18-2010, 10:54 AM
There are other examples of this crazy sort of "mental fundamentalism". Remember when that European cartoonist made a cartoon depicting Mohammed? That's a no-no to. More of a no-no than using the N-Word.

This point was touched on in an episode of South Park a few years back. Comedy Central wouldn't let them show an image of Mohammed just standing around but didn't have any qualms about showing Jesus shitting on the American flag. Sick.

jmdrake
08-18-2010, 11:01 AM
The salient point here isn't that Dr. Laura's argument for using the N-Word was right or wrong, but that the caller got mad at Dr. Laura, who does not use the N-Word, just for using the N-Word out of context while discussing the word itself.

Two questions:

1) Did you miss where I said: Do I think Dr. Laura should have been fired for using the N-word to make her point? No. I just don't think she's being intellectually honest with her point.

2) Did you not listen to the clip? Seriously. Because no where in the clip did the caller get mad at Dr. Laura! That despite the fact that she called in with a serious question about how to get along with her white relatives who where offending her and she got a flippant answer. Everybody here seems to be assuming that just because the N-word is ok sometimes it must be ok everytime. Does anyone even care how this woman's relatives were using it or what context?

This is why I find the whole debacle a comedic tragedy. Black people disagree internally about the use of the word, but seem to have a consensus that no one who isn't black should be using the word. It's like the whole worlds waiting with bated breath to see what the verdict is on this ever-so-important topic.

Have you been keeping up with modern culture? Or do you think Eminem is white?

YouTube - 50 Cent Approves of Eminem saying "Nigga." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4mu_ip2maw)

ClayTrainor
08-18-2010, 11:08 AM
The identity of the speaker fits into interpreting how it's used. I doubt many women who call each other the "b-word" do so because they dislike women.

So? They still could, it's just not nearly as likely.

Do you think most women would be offended if a man used the B word to describe how female comedians use the b word? That's the equivalent of what Dr. Laura has said here.

You're an atheist. Would you ever think a fellow atheist that yelled to you "Death to infidels" was actually serious? If it was a Muslim saying this to you
might you think it meant something?

How would I know their religion/non-religion beforehand?

If anyone I don't know personally, regardless of skin color or costume, is yelling "Death to Infidels" or any other form of "death to..." and seems serious about it, I'm going to be fucking concerned, especially if I feel like a target.

Would it matter to you if it was a Muslim you knew personally versus some random Muslim on the threat that might have seen you wearing a Mohamed cartoon t-shirt?

It completely depends on how they're saying it. If the muslim I know personally is saying it in a serious manner, than I'm going to be concerned. If he's saying it in a joking manner, than I'll probably laugh. Same with the random guy on TV.

Anyone calling seriously for my death, is going to scare the shit out of me regardless of race, religion or what word they choose.

Sometimes people can be just as off trying to be "non politically correct" as they are trying to be politically correct.

What's your fundamental point? Are you offended by what Dr. Laura said because of her skin color?

dannno
08-18-2010, 11:25 AM
Because no where in the clip did the caller get mad at Dr. Laura! That despite the fact that she called in with a serious question about how to get along with her white relatives who where offending her and she got a flippant answer. Everybody here seems to be assuming that just because the N-word is ok sometimes it must be ok everytime. Does anyone even care how this woman's relatives were using it or what context?

I agree with bold section #1 re: the flippant answer. Dr. Laura has a horrible format for her show, sometimes she gives good advice, but I think just as often she gives horrible advice... That's because she has this weird fetish about going through calls as fast as possible, not allowing people to thoroughly explain their situation. She gets REALLY upset with them if they can't explain their situation in less than 30 seconds, situations which often have years of background information that should be considered. Not to mention the callers are nervous since they are live on a HUGE syndicated radio show talking about a personal problem..

As for bolded section #2, I don't think any of the white relatives actually use the 'n' word, the examples she gave Dr. Laura sounded more like the guy was saying stupid shit like 'hey, so how many times a week do you people really eat fried chicken' or some BS like that, but honestly, the caller didn't give specific enough examples.. that really would have helped.

extrmmxer
08-18-2010, 11:26 AM
It's simple.

People have the fundemental right to say whatever they want, whenever they want and in any context they want. However, they must be mindfull, they do not have the fundemental right to control the interpretation and reaction of the audience. So it boils down to the choice of what you can control, which is your own words.

You want to say something than say it. It's your fundemental right but the interpretation of it is not.

By the way, Dr. Laura did nothing wrong. I actually thought she did a good job discussing a "hot topic" but that's my interpretation.

jmdrake
08-18-2010, 11:36 AM
So? They still could, it's just not nearly as likely.

Do you think most women would be offended if a man used the B word to describe how female comedians use the b word? That's the equivalent of what Dr. Laura has said here.

Yep. And I said I hand no problem with that. I just disagreed with her conclusion and said I don't think she was being intellectually honest. The caller didn't get offended by what Dr. Laura said, even though Dr. Laura basically blew off a serious question about how to better get along with her relatives.

How would I know their religion/non-religion beforehand?

Maybe they've just come out of a Mosque.

If anyone I don't know personally, regardless of skin color or costume, is yelling "Death to Infidels" or any other form of "death to..." and seems serious about it, I'm going to be fucking concerned, especially if I feel like a target.

And if you know for certain the person isn't a Muslim are you more or less likely to think he might be serious?

It completely depends on how they're saying it. If the muslim I know personally is saying it in a serious manner, than I'm going to be concerned. If he's saying it in a joking manner, than I'll probably laugh. Same with the random guy on TV.

Anyone calling seriously for my death, is going to scare the shit out of me regardless of race, religion or what word they choose.

I guess that's my point. If I saw some George Carlin or Bill Mahr clip where he yelled "Death to infidels" I would immediately assume it was some big joke based on the identity of the speaker. For that matter if it was some well known Muslim comic I would automatically assume it was a joke. If it was some well known Muslim extremist (other than OBL who I really think is dead) I would assume based on the identity of the speaker that he was serious.

Note that the "identity of the speaker" isn't just "is the speaker white" as some here wrongly assume. I went to an overwhelmingly majority white high school. There were a handful of white kids that hung out with the black kids, never said or did anything racist, weren't going around waving "confederate flags", never had anything negative to say about interracial dating (the other white kids were ok with interracial dating as long as neither race was black), and could say the N-word with abandon. Nobody cared. Then there were the white kids who really were racists and would say crap like "I wish there weren't so many blacks at this school" (we made up < 10%) when they forgot I was around (I was a quiet kid) and then would slip up on occasion and use the n-word. There was no guessing why they used the N-word. We already knew they were racist.

So yes it does matter who says certain words, though whether the person is black or white isn't the end all / be all of the matter. Dr. Laura never did enough to flesh out the context before launching into her "Well why can't they use the N-word" tirade. She could have at least asked "Well have they mistreated you in any other way or given any indication that they might be racist, or are you just assuming this based on the word?"

What's your fundamental point? Are you offended by what Dr. Laura said because of her skin color?

Goodness! I said in my first or second post that I didn't have a problem with the way Dr. Laura used the N-word but with the fact that I don't think she was being intellectually honest in her analysis. Dr. Laura could have literally said "N-word" instead of actually using it and I'd say the same thing. Understand now? And yes I'd say the same thing if Dr. Laura was black.

Brian4Liberty
08-18-2010, 11:40 AM
Not a fan of her show, but Dr. Laura seemed to be the one with a "chip on her shoulder". She went off on her tangent almost immediately. Does she try to help people or does she just use callers as a springboard for her own monologue and opinions? I don't listen to her, but I always thought she was some kind of helpful advise show. Maybe not.

dannno
08-18-2010, 11:46 AM
Not a fan of her show, but Dr. Laura seemed to be the one with a "chip on her shoulder". She went off on her tangent almost immediately. Does she try to help people or does she just use callers as a springboard for her own monologue and opinions? I don't listen to her, but I always thought she was some kind of helpful advise show. Maybe not.

Ya, I addressed this a little in post #27, I think the format for the show is horrible. SOMETIMES she gives good advice, I'll be like "oh, wow, hadn't thought of that.." or "oh, I suppose that is the most responsible thing to do.."

Then other times it's like, "lady, calm down, this person is in a lot of distress, she's all nervous and on this huge radio show and all you can do is make her more distressed?"

Not that I listen to the show much, but driving through LA if I'm listening for traffic she'll be on that station sometimes.

wizardwatson
08-18-2010, 01:29 PM
Two questions:

1) Did you miss where I said: Do I think Dr. Laura should have been fired for using the N-word to make her point? No. I just don't think she's being intellectually honest with her point.

2) Did you not listen to the clip? Seriously. Because no where in the clip did the caller get mad at Dr. Laura! That despite the fact that she called in with a serious question about how to get along with her white relatives who where offending her and she got a flippant answer. Everybody here seems to be assuming that just because the N-word is ok sometimes it must be ok everytime. Does anyone even care how this woman's relatives were using it or what context?

Have you been keeping up with modern culture? Or do you think Eminem is white?

YouTube - 50 Cent Approves of Eminem saying "Nigga." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4mu_ip2maw)

Are we fighting or something now?

God help this movement.

Anyway, I didn't listen to the stupid ass clip. I just read the linked article, I posted the portion of which I thought was relevant to the discussion, reposted here:

"Black guys use it all the time. Turn on HBO and listen to a black comic, and all you hear is n****r, n****r, n****r. I don't get it. If anybody without enough melanin says it, it's a horrible thing. But when black people say it, it's affectionate. It's very confusing."

When the caller said she was appalled by Schlessinger's use of the N-word, the radio host demurred, "Oh, then I guess you don't watch HBO or listen to any black comedians. My dear, the point I am trying to make ... [is that] we've got a black man as president and we've got more complaining about racism than ever. I think that's hilarious."

Their exchange heated up after that. When the caller said she couldn't believe Schlessinger was "on the radio spewing out" the N-word, Schlessinger said she "didn't spew out" the N-word and repeated, "n****r, n****r, n****r is what you hear on HBO."

She then criticized the caller, saying, "Don't take things out of context. Don't NAACP me."

Please note the bolded portions, the first says that the caller was "appalled" at Schlessinger, and the second says the caller couldn't believe Laura was on the radio "spewing out" the word. I inferred from the article that the caller was angry, but you're right I didn't hear the clip so perhaps Laura was egging her on.

I don't really care, its like arguing about a fucking Jerry Springer episode as far as I'm concerned, the shit is irrelevant which is my real belief on the subject.

So to answer your number 2 question, I guess my answer is no, I didn't care about the callers concerns about her relatives using the word, because the way the article reads it sounds like the callers racially hypersensitive, and I was commenting on that. The fact that there are a lot of assholes in the world that say shit they shouldn't and need an ass-beating is a truism. But I didn't hear the video so perhaps the tone Laura used was racially insensitive.

I just think the topic itself is a waste of time because the arguments, including the ones we're having on this thread are based on emotional insecurities, and miscommunication rooted in each of our own "creative coloring in" of the facts and context surrounding the event.

And tone/inflection don't carry well in text, which makes hot button discussions hypercharged with misunderstanding. Throw in that mix peoples propensity to act less civil online and it turns into a pissing contest that we all seem to be enjoying that will be meaningless 24 hours from now.

So pardon me if you think I was attacking "your" position. I just see words, feel like posting and try to highlight what I think are the important points on a subject, when I'm not simply goofing off and being irreverent.

And I don't have video where I'm at now so I can't watch the Eminem thing though I'd like to. Is 50 Cent giving out "its ok if X says nigga" passes now? I noticed Elton John gave Eminem a "******" pass a while back. I give everyone at RPF a "cracker" pass for what its worth. And my kids half Indian, so everyone can also have a "sand ******" pass, though I don't know if the "haji's" own that since its kind of borrowed.

And the fact that people distinguish between "******" and "nigga" and assign different social acceptability to it makes me super facepalm.

Anyway, I'm out of this thread, even trying to point out pointlessness always seems to end back up in pointlessness. If anyone has any real issues or thinks I've offended, or needs to talk about their feelings feel free to PM.

But I'm pretty sure we're all just flexing our ego so I won't hold my breath.

jmdrake
08-18-2010, 01:47 PM
wizardwatson: I'm not "fighting" anyone. I'm simply pointing out that the woman on the clip never said she was offended at all even though (IMO) Dr. Laura was being a jerk. Really I don't disagree with the sentiment that black people can overreact to the N-word. But this caller didn't overreact to Dr. Laura. She didn't react at all. Yes Al Sharpton decided to take advantage of the situation and that's sad. But can't more than one person be wrong at the same time?

pacelli
08-18-2010, 02:01 PM
So what?

Anti Federalist
08-18-2010, 02:01 PM
Ah, fuck this.

I'm sick and tired of tiptoeing around black folks "oh so delicate" sensibilities.

That goes for anybody else too.

******, kike, honky, mick, towel head, broad.

There, I said it.

Fuck off and grow a set.

silentshout
08-18-2010, 02:04 PM
Pretty damn sad. I honestly never listened to her, but why can't people just change the channel if they don't like what they hear?

phill4paul
08-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Ah, fuck this.

I'm sick and tired of tiptoeing around black folks "oh so delicate" sensibilities.

There, I said it.

Fuck off and grow a set.

Lolz.

Ya know I've never owned a slave or used a whip but I don't get offended every time I drive by a "Cracker" Barrel restaurant. :D

phill4paul
08-18-2010, 02:21 PM
YouTube - Lenny - Lenny Bruce hard words (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOnkv76rNL4)

Humanae Libertas
08-18-2010, 02:22 PM
It wasn't racist, but it was stupid of her. She 'ought to think twice before saying '******' in public airwaves, especially in the cultural Marxist world we live in.

All they needed was a soundbyte, and now they got it.

kahless
08-18-2010, 02:23 PM
It is like she said it is all about power. (power = money) The only thing racist here are those that were waiting for her to say something about race so they could take it out of context to use against her. Those that live off the race issue, like Sharpton, just made a bundle of money in appearances. That should tie them over a bit until the next opportunity arrives.

pacelli
08-18-2010, 02:25 PM
Ah, fuck this.

There, I said it.

Fuck off and grow a set.

^^^ what he said ^^^^

BlackTerrel
08-18-2010, 06:35 PM

Honestly this is one of the stupidest posts I have ever seen.

It is impossible to live in America and not know how offensive that word is. Given that Dr. Laura has lived in this country for 108 years she has no excuse.

Austrian Econ Disciple
08-18-2010, 06:37 PM
Honestly this is one of the stupidest posts I have ever seen.

It is impossible to live in America and not know how offensive that word is. Given that Dr. Laura has lived in this country for 108 years she has no excuse.

So why is it ok for black people like Chappelle/Hughley and the rest to say it, but stricken for everyone else? Like I said, either it is roundly condemned, or not at all. You can't have your cake and eat it too. All you are going to do is piss off a lot of people with the bullshit double standards. All we are asking here is some consistency.

BlackTerrel
08-18-2010, 06:39 PM

The woman caller doesn't need to be defended because no one even knows who she is. Dr. Laura is a woman with a national radio audience of over 9 million listeners a day (according to wiki) so she has a bit more of a responsibility.

BlackTerrel
08-18-2010, 06:44 PM
Ah, fuck this.

There, I said it.

Fuck off and grow a set.

Tip toeing how?

It is so difficult for you to be around black people and not drop the N word?

BlackTerrel
08-18-2010, 06:46 PM
So why is it ok for black people like Chappelle/Hughley and the rest to say it, but stricken for everyone else? Like I said, either it is roundly condemned, or not at all. You can't have your cake and eat it too. All you are going to do is piss off a lot of people with the bullshit double standards. All we are asking here is some consistency.

People act like it's this huge privilege to be able to say the N word. Yes it is so awesome I can't tell you how much fun it is :rolleyes:

A black comedian using it to make a point is different than a white person on the radio who is supposed to be giving advice and helping people.

Fozz
08-18-2010, 06:56 PM
People act like it's this huge privilege to be able to say the N word. Yes it is so awesome I can't tell you how much fun it is :rolleyes:

A black comedian using it to make a point is different than a white person on the radio who is supposed to be giving advice and helping people.

Truth

Austrian Econ Disciple
08-18-2010, 06:56 PM
First off black people need to get over this. I joke around with my co-worker who is a jew about jewry all day long, and he makes fun of my indian heritage, and german ancestry (not to mention my pale ass skin :p). There was a time in America where you could joke around about this shit and not be excoriated as this vile piece of garbage. It is verboten for any white person, comedian or otherwise to utter the word ******, and that is fucking stupid. Without context, verboten at all costs. Yet, it is entirely ok for black people to call each other ****** in a derogatory fashion. To me, completely insane, but you guys need to stop being so "offended". You were never a slave in the 1880s. You were never living in the 1930s under the Jim Crow Laws. In fact, blacks are a privilege caste to the Government. This though has a lot to do with how the black community is currently shaped. It is sad. I want everyone to be free and prosperous :(

This whole thing is fucking stupid anyways. Dr. Laura did not say anything in a racist or derogatory fashion. I also echo AF in this regard.

oyarde
08-18-2010, 07:01 PM
Anybody know how many people listen to her show ? I never could stand to listen to it. I was suprised though , that people would actually call for advice.

Brooklyn Red Leg
08-18-2010, 07:56 PM
Ah, fuck this.

There, I said it.

Fuck off and grow a set.

+1776. We have Freedom of Speech, not Freedom to not be Offended.

libertybrewcity
08-18-2010, 08:01 PM
stupid controversy. she shouldn't have quit. it just goes to show you that libs will blow up a non-issue and expose non-racism. they sure are good at that.

kahless
08-18-2010, 08:20 PM
I believe with people being overly sensitive to the race issue it is going to if not already create a backlash of racism. Look, most people in this country did not not own slaves, discriminate or have ancestry that owned slaves. It is insulting to whites to be constantly accussed of being racist, especially in this day and age.

We would not have a black president if it were not for white people voting for him. We also would not have a disproportionate number of blacks in politics and entertainment industry (music, radio, TV, etc). So this is getting beyond ridiculous.

Race relations have improved from the 60s but the standard of living for African Americans has taken a nose dive. At the same time single mother African American households has skyrocketed. Besides immigrants and shipping jobs overseas that take jobs from African Americans the main reason the community has been so damaged since the 60s can be directly attributed to government intervention into the lives of African Americans. Progressive government policies for example have removed the black male as the Patriarch of his family by creating government incentives to separate families.

The black voters in this country need to wake up to whom the really enemy in this country and it is not white people. It is the Progressive leaders and policies blacks continue to support all because they have fallen for the false race debate.

jmdrake
08-18-2010, 08:52 PM
It is verboten for any white person, comedian or otherwise to utter the word ******, and that is fucking stupid. Without context, verboten at all costs.

That's absolutely untrue. I already posted proof that it's not true. (Eminem). Your repeating the same falsehood over and over again doesn't make it true. Its funny how you assume that the caller's in-laws were using the "n-word" in a non-racial fashion. Where did you get that from? Certainly not from the call. She never got a chance to explain the context because Dr. Laura went off her "Why can't we say the n-word" tangent!

And here's my last point in this thread. If it's soooooo verboten then why didn't the caller get mad at Dr. Laura? Seriously. If you listen to the entire clip you'll find out that the caller had a sane conversation, never raised her voice, never said "I'm offended that you said that"! It was other people who took offense to Dr. Laura. (*cough* Al Sharpton *cough*) Now personally I think it was offensive that Dr. Laura decided to go off on a tangent instead of listening to a caller and finding out[ what the context was. But that's just me. I could care less about the way she used the "N-word" and more about what I (and apparently several others) see as less than professional counseling. And yes it's a radio show and it has to be entertaining and all that, but still, people call in looking for actual help.

BlackTerrel
08-18-2010, 08:54 PM
First off black people need to get over this. I joke around with my co-worker who is a jew about jewry all day long, and he makes fun of my indian heritage, and german ancestry (not to mention my pale ass skin :p).

There is a difference between joking around with friends and a national radio host saying this in front of nine million people.

I joke around with my friends all the time. I "blame" my Jewish friend for the financial crisis. I ask my Indian friend why out of a billion people their greatest accomplishment is discovering the number zero (he once bragged about this to me as an accomplishment) and they ask me about car jackings and KFC. I'm pretty comfortable with my friends about race - and I don't think that's unique for my generation.

This isn't that. Even the jokes I make among my friends I wouldn't make in a professional environment when I was at work. I am currently working an iPhone application deal with the company where one of my Indian friend works and I would never drop a racial comment at the meeting - it is unprofessional and it would jeopardize my business relationship.

Dr. Laura did this at work. In front of an audience greater than nine million. That's the difference between this and the jokes you make with your Jewish buddy.

BlackTerrel
08-18-2010, 08:55 PM
Anybody know how many people listen to her show ? I never could stand to listen to it. I was suprised though , that people would actually call for advice.

Wiki claims between 9 and 10 million.

I know Wiki isn't 100%. But generally for these sorts of topics I think they are pretty reliable.

Anti Federalist
08-18-2010, 09:02 PM
Dr. Laura did this at work. In front of an audience greater than nine million. That's the difference between this and the jokes you make with your Jewish buddy.

But her "job" was to speak about controversial and pressing issues.

Isn't that what a talk show host is supposed to do?

jmdrake
08-18-2010, 09:06 PM
But her "job" was to speak about controversial and pressing issues.

Isn't that what a talk show host is supposed to do?

Not all talk show hosts. I was under the impression that Dr. Laura's "job" was to give psychological and relationship advice over the radio. If someone calls Howard Stern for advice they get what's coming to them. But I assumed (wrongly I guess) that her show was about helping people. That's definitely the way she sells it. (Or sold it as the case may be).

furface
08-18-2010, 09:13 PM
Wiki claims between 9 and 10 million.

I know Wiki isn't 100%. But generally for these sorts of topics I think they are pretty reliable.

I've heard that her numbers are high only because of bundling practices among radio show distributors. Very few stations want her show, but the group that distributes other popular shows forces stations to accept her show in order to get the popular shows. That's what I've heard from a radio station operator complaining about it.

Flash
08-18-2010, 09:14 PM
She should've known better. I hope she is never on the air again.

kahless
08-18-2010, 09:50 PM
She should've known better. I hope she is never on the air again.

Did you even listen to the clip? The only mistake she made was apologizing and cowardly deciding not to renew her contract.

RSLudlum
08-18-2010, 10:07 PM
Ah, fuck this.

There, I said it.

Fuck off and grow a set.

AF, you pretty much summed up Elizabeth Wright's latest blog on the subject-quite a perspective that is hard to come by. I don't agree with her summation of the call but the meat of her commentary is spot on.

http://issuesviews.blogspot.com/2010/08/dr-laura-joins-ranks-of-fainthearted.html

HOLLYWOOD
08-18-2010, 10:44 PM

NOT :rolleyes: .

Oh, so like KATT WILLIAMS recently said, it's okay... In the video below is almost a totally black audience has no problem laughin at racial slur after racial slur. No problem at all. There's no gray area... it is offensive whether it's being used formally or taken likely, period. There's no excuse, no exception, and no matter what the context, if it offends a race, or a particular race is targeted for it's usage, then it should stop for all. No one is privileged, unless the all entire racew agree to freedom of speech and all the good & bad. Frankly the First amendment should allow anyone to speak whatever, their speech may be offensive about anyone or anything, that's the a right. But politics at all levels and special interest groups have destroyed that freedom/liberty. They (GOV) thrive for excuses to conjure up more restrictions on groups/people/special interest. What effects one slice or sector can then be imposed on others down the road.

Katt Williams could use other colorful metaphors instead of the offensive N word. Frankly I don't care what race it may be... Everyone is getting tired of the proverbial. "Do as I say, not as I do."

America is no longer the "Melting Pot"... it's just become a 'Mixing Pot' of all kinds of bullshit. This is exactly what the Federal Government adores... one group against another, it keeps the people divided, while government does their thing to all of us... on all the bullshit.

YouTube - Katt Williams - Weed 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJMvPU1a1vI)

idirtify
08-18-2010, 10:53 PM
Of course she is going to get blasted for using that word so loosely on the radio. If you going to use language that is deemed controversial you better come up with a well thought out dialogue w/ facts and not just claim black comedians use it so why can't I. If she would have brought some facts to the discussion, ex. In a recent Chris Rock special he used the word x amount of times it would have been received differently IMO...

Badly thought out; agreed - including her responses to the backlash. I don’t think she should have apologized or quit. Two 180s in a row will ruin your credibility.
1) She said the word in a non-racist context, but then apologized and said it was wrong;
2) She apologized, but then quit the show cause she got criticized for something she didn’t think was wrong.

She may have HAD courage, but her contradictory responses to the backlash look flaky – including the silly stuff about freedom of speech.

Anti Federalist
08-18-2010, 11:01 PM
Not all talk show hosts. I was under the impression that Dr. Laura's "job" was to give psychological and relationship advice over the radio. If someone calls Howard Stern for advice they get what's coming to them. But I assumed (wrongly I guess) that her show was about helping people. That's definitely the way she sells it. (Or sold it as the case may be).

Can't say I listened much, or knew much about it.

My understanding was that she dispensed "tough love" to whiners, I suppose you would say, mixed in with news of the day.

Meh, whatever, not that big an issue to me, just another KIA in the ongoing crisis I suppose.

I am getting sick and tired of the cultural landmines being placed all over, one of the reasons that, when I lose the position I'm in right now, due to the everfucking government, I'm well and truly screwed, since I can't understand or abide by "the rules" anymore.

Mealy Mouthed Millies is what we have morphed into, constantly on the alert for offense, walking with babysteps through the minefield, never knowing when or where the next blast will happen, ruining a job or a career or a life.

idirtify
08-18-2010, 11:17 PM
Hands down the most hilarious parody of the ridiculous situation with the n-word was done by South Park.

The scene:

One of the dads goes on wheel of fortune as a contestant and is guessing the final phrase. The clue is “people who annoy you”. There is only one letter missing from the one-word phrase. Showing on the board is “N_GGERS”. The clock ticks down to seconds and the guy is hesitating whether to say it or not. At the last second he yells out “NIGGERS!” The host and the audience are in shock. It turns out he was wrong and that the missing letter was “A”; “NAGGERS”.

The rest of the show is just as hilarious with an unexpected yet comically logical turn.

YouTube - SouthParkk-"Naggers"- Wheel of Fortune (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J5UXwHD2YY&feature=related)

Anti Federalist
08-18-2010, 11:26 PM
That made me LoL :D

Hands down the most hilarious parody of the ridiculous situation with the n-word was done by South Park.

The scene:

One of the dads goes on wheel of fortune as a contestant and is guessing the final phrase. The clue is “people who annoy you”. There is only one letter missing from the one-word phrase. Showing on the board is “N_GGERS”. The clock ticks down to seconds and the guy is hesitating whether to say it or not. At the last second he yells out “NIGGERS!” The host and the audience are in shock. It turns out he was wrong and that the missing letter was “A”; “NAGGERS”.

The rest of the show is just as hilarious with an unexpected yet comically logical turn.

YouTube - SouthParkk-"Naggers"- Wheel of Fortune (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J5UXwHD2YY&feature=related)

michaelwise
08-18-2010, 11:27 PM
People like Dr. Laura just need to tell others who try to scold them to Go Fuck Themselves.

Anti Federalist
08-18-2010, 11:33 PM
AF, you pretty much summed up Elizabeth Wright's latest blog on the subject-quite a perspective that is hard to come by. I don't agree with her summation of the call but the meat of her commentary is spot on.

http://issuesviews.blogspot.com/2010/08/dr-laura-joins-ranks-of-fainthearted.html

Nice piece, thanks.

Is this the summation you didn't agree with?

A final thought about the idiot black woman caller who spurred Dr. Laura's intemperate remarks. What kind of a dimwit, who marries out of her race, discovers that her white husband, his white relatives, and his white friends consider his black wife (namely, her) a daily punching bag for their humor, and then calls a stranger on the radio for advice? Is the husband trying to let the dense wife know that he's had enough of her, and desires to move on? Maybe it's time to take a hint, lady.

idirtify
08-19-2010, 12:10 AM
one of the reasons that, when I lose the position I'm in right now, due to the everfucking government, I'm well and truly screwed,

care to elbaborate?

johngr
08-19-2010, 01:27 AM

A lower class white American calling another "white trash" or redneck is something different from Bill Gates or Bill Cosby using the same slurs. There's the in-group/out group thing going on there Same thing with ******. But a big difference is that because white people aren't so racially hypersensitive, there is not "WT" or "RN" words.

But the near ubiquity of ******-use among many blacks is something interesting. As this black comedian takes note YouTube - Too Many Niggas in Music Today! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY_YN2xy9js), it’s just about every other word in rap songs. It seems that the culture creating record company executives (whose ethnicity I won’t mention) want blacks to call each other ******* for some reasons.

knarfxii
08-19-2010, 03:00 AM
Why is everyone so afraid to say it, instead just say the letter it starts with?

jmdrake
08-19-2010, 05:20 AM
Maybe so. I just can't imagine though that her "tough love" to a caller that said "My Muslim inlaws use the word 'infidel' all the time and it bothers me, what should I do" would be to say "Suck it up honey. Non Muslims say infidel all of the time. Why should it bother you that Muslims say it". I'd bet you a dime to a dollar she'd "Get out of that marriage while you still can! And report them to the department of Homeland Security! Terrorists! Terrorists!"

Maybe I'm wrong though.

Can't say I listened much, or knew much about it.

My understanding was that she dispensed "tough love" to whiners, I suppose you would say, mixed in with news of the day.

Meh, whatever, not that big an issue to me, just another KIA in the ongoing crisis I suppose.

I am getting sick and tired of the cultural landmines being placed all over, one of the reasons that, when I lose the position I'm in right now, due to the everfucking government, I'm well and truly screwed, since I can't understand or abide by "the rules" anymore.

Mealy Mouthed Millies is what we have morphed into, constantly on the alert for offense, walking with babysteps through the minefield, never knowing when or where the next blast will happen, ruining a job or a career or a life.

Kylie
08-19-2010, 07:38 AM
Nigga please.

I don't give a shit what color you are, where you came from, or who you decide to bed with......this offensiveness is getting old.

You cannot choose when and in what situations to be offended, and then not in other company. Black, white, purple or green people....we are all sick of being "politically correct".

People are only offended by things that they perceive to be a wrong against them. Who taught them that a word is offensive? If you want to get over something, you don't hold that something as a banner to repudiate all others with for ever and ever. You use your mind to get through it, with communication(not fists) and you work it out with others.

Let it the fuck go already.

Danke
08-19-2010, 09:06 AM
What amount of melanin does one need to be able to say the "N" word? Can someone like Obama, being half "white," use the "N" word?

We need percentages.

jmdrake
08-19-2010, 09:52 AM
What amount of melanin does one need to be able to say the "N" word? Can someone like Obama, being half "white," use the "N" word?

We need percentages.

What percent melanin does Eminem have?

johngr
08-19-2010, 04:37 PM

We need percentages.

One sigma below the median IQ so that would appear to count Obama out.

But he broke the rules when he met with beleaguered bank CEOs right before the bailouts and it was reported that he told the bankers the only thing standing between them and citizens with pitchforks was him. What he really said was, "I'm tha only muthafucka standin twixt y'all and some nigga bussin a cap in yo ass".

Anti Federalist
08-19-2010, 05:02 PM
All of this reminds me a of a Bloom County strip I saw years ago and that for the life of me I can't find online anywhere.

It starts with the "new" sensitive Steve Dallas and his mother sitting on a park bench.

His mother remarks how this nice colored man helped her with her groceries.

Steve, greatly offended, launches into a multi panel diatribe against his mother and how she cannot use such a term.

They go back and forth trying to come up with the most politically correct way to express the words, finally settling on "people of color".

At the last panel, a much chagrined Mother Dallas looks askance at her effete son and says:

"Colored People".

Ricky201
08-19-2010, 06:47 PM
Take some advice from Mr. Morgan Freeman.

YouTube - Morgan freeman solves the race problem. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3cGfrExozQ&feature=related)

BlackTerrel
08-19-2010, 11:08 PM
Oh, so like KATT WILLIAMS recently said, it's okay... In the video below is almost a totally black audience has no problem laughin at racial slur after racial slur. No problem at all. There's no gray area... it is offensive whether it's being used formally or taken likely, period. There's no excuse, no exception, and no matter what the context, if it offends a race, or a particular race is targeted for it's usage, then it should stop for all. No one is privileged, unless the all entire racew agree to freedom of speech and all the good & bad.

What the fuck is the "privelege" in getting to say the N word? Trust me it is not that great.

Frankly the First amendment should allow anyone to speak whatever, their speech may be offensive about anyone or anything, that's the a right. But politics at all levels and special interest groups have destroyed that freedom/liberty.

The first amendment applies to government. Did the government step in to stop Dr. Laura? No - so that is not a relevant argument.

BlackTerrel
08-19-2010, 11:11 PM

We need percentages.

Obama being the President would probably get in trouble. Eminem or 50 Cent - being rappers (of different colors) would probably be ok.

Danke
08-19-2010, 11:17 PM
Obama being the President would probably get in trouble. Eminem or 50 Cent - being rappers (of different colors) would probably be ok.

How about Halle Berry? Is she "black" enough?

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_Rt-U-MPAMJRpP5dfrNr51aOMYfsQALgiJrJWkcDL3FnvedU&t=1&usg=__IvtPiZH1YTcHU70KOAhIvle6_xA=