PDA

View Full Version : Which Issues Should the Movement Prioritize? (Reply with 5 Choices)

Daamien
08-17-2010, 11:37 PM
While our liberty movement is a big-tent group consisting of varying sub-factions and beliefs, we are united in our desire to seek increased personal and economic freedoms. Furthermore, we seek to educate the public on the historical framework of such freedoms and any past, present, or future threats and abuses from government. It is our responsibility to grow the movement and therefore our responsibility to focus on the issues which unite us.

Therefore, due to popular demand (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=257427), I have included a poll which lists relevant issues to our liberty movement for prioritization. This list is not all-encompassing (polls are limited to 20 options). However, please take the opportunity to select which issues you believe we should focus on.

Although you may support any or all of the choices in the poll, try some restraint in voting as it would be interesting to see what members of the movement prioritize. Because there is no option to stipulate the number of selections per voter in this poll, please vote and reply with your CHOICE OF 5 listed issues that you most support and would prioritize. Alternatively, you are welcome to rank all 20 issues in a reply or include a list of 5 choices that should receive the least priority. This is an attempt to make the conversation more interesting. Thank you for your feedback!

Issues:
Uphold the Constitution / Pass Enumerated Powers Act
Support Civil Liberties
Repeal the Patriot Act / End Warrantless Wiretapping, Searches, and Seizures
Support State Rights & Nullification
End Federal Involvement in Moral Issues (e.g. Drugs, Abortion, Marriage)
End Federal Involvement in Gun Control
End Federal Involvement in Healthcare
End Federal Involvement in Education
End the Fed / Audit the Fed
End Fiat Currency / Allow Competing Currencies
Repeal the Income Tax / Reduce Federal Taxation
Reduce Federal Spending / Pass Balanced Budget Amendment
End Corporate Bailouts
Block Increases in the National Debt Ceiling
Reduce Regulation on Businesses and Trade / Prevent Cap & Trade
Allow Employees to Opt-out of Social Security and Medicare
Withdraw from International Organization and Agreements (e.g. UN, WTO, NATO)
Reduce Foreign Military Presence / Close Bases on Foreign Soil
End Foreign Aid and Intervention
Strengthen Border and Port Security

Note: This is not intended to be a copy of the Campaign for Liberty's survey questions for candidates (http://www.campaignforliberty.com/candidatesurvey.php?state=KY#questions).

BuddyRey
08-17-2010, 11:43 PM
Non-Interventionist Foreign Policy
End the Fed
Restore civil liberties (Habeas Corpus, self-ownership et al.)
Dissolve the Dept. of Education.
Dissolve the DEA.

Live_Free_Or_Die
08-17-2010, 11:49 PM
There are only two core issues:

1. Monetary policy - Once the federal reserve is gone, government will not be able to spend whatever it wants.

2. Foreign policy - Peace through trade.

Salvial
08-17-2010, 11:53 PM
Support Civil Liberties
End Corporate Bailouts

Daamien
08-17-2010, 11:54 PM
My top 5 would be:

Support Civil Liberties

RPgrassrootsactivist
08-18-2010, 12:10 AM
Nullification has to be priority #1.

Rael
08-18-2010, 12:11 AM
Ending the fed should probably be top priority, because without a central bank, the government could not afford all that other shit on the list anyway.

Minuteman2012
08-18-2010, 12:15 AM
I said

End Corporate Bailouts

The first three appeal to the conservative base, and the last two attract independents and anti-war anti corporatist democrats

tpreitzel
08-18-2010, 12:24 AM

It's all about the money, honey. Most of the other problems will solve themselves when the money supply is restrained and the government's fingers are smashed every time they reach for the pie.

Daamien
08-18-2010, 12:37 AM
Support Civil Liberties
End Corporate Bailouts

Welcome to the forum Salvial :)

Imperial
08-18-2010, 12:49 AM
Support Civil Liberties
End Corporate Bailouts

I think this gives a good balance for candidates to claim a bit of the left vote and not appear too radical for the conservative base. It also is a great place for people to get comfortable with libertarian ideas.

great thread btw

RileyE104
08-18-2010, 01:13 AM
IN ORDER

1) Enumerated Powers Act
- no more unconstitutional legislation.

2 * not on the list) One Subject at a Time Act
- speaks for itself. too much legislation is sneaked in undercover.

3) Reduce Foreign Military Presence / Close Bases on Foreign Soil
- lower the National Debt by a great deal

4) Reduce Federal Spending & pass Balanced Budget Amendment
- prevent any more spending we can't afford + reduced spending in even more areas will set the stage for #5

5) Repeal the Income Tax
- REAL STIMULUS that will actually help the Middle-class and will actually be feasible if the above legislation is passed.

jmdrake
08-18-2010, 05:14 AM
Not to be picky, but I think "Support Civil Liberties" and "Repeal the Patriot Act / End Warrantless Wiretapping, Searches, and Seizures" are redundant.

jmdrake
08-18-2010, 05:21 AM
IN ORDER

2 * not on the list) One Subject at a Time Act
- speaks for itself. too much legislation is sneaked in undercover.

Wow! I had thought we needed something like this but I didn't know anyone had put the idea to paper. Great bill!

http://www.downsizedc.org/etp/campaigns/83

Christianlibertarian
08-18-2010, 07:58 AM
Wow! This is like a libertarian's Christmas list.

Here are my picks:
1. Uphold the constitution
2. End the Fed
3. Reduce military presence/close bases
4. Repeal the income tax
5. Support states rights/nullification

erowe1
08-18-2010, 08:32 AM
Why do you have all these answers with slashes? It looks like every one of them combines two things that are not the same.

Daamien
08-18-2010, 08:40 AM
Not to be picky, but I think "Support Civil Liberties" and "Repeal the Patriot Act / End Warrantless Wiretapping, Searches, and Seizures" are redundant.

That is somewhat picky, because Civil Liberties are fundamental freedoms derived from the rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Specifically repealing the Patriot Act is rather distinct from protecting all natural rights that we term as Civil Liberties.

Also, where are your choices? I thought you said you were going to participate.

Son of Detroit
08-18-2010, 08:41 AM
Wow! This is like a libertarian's Christmas list.

Here are my picks:
2. End the Fed
3. Reduce military presence/close bases
4. Repeal the income tax
5. Support states rights/nullification

Exactly what I said.

Daamien
08-18-2010, 08:43 AM
Why do you have all these answers with slashes? It looks like every one of them combines two things that are not the same.

I tried to combine similar items or varying degrees of changes (such as what to do with the Fed and what to do with Taxation) seeing how I only have 20 options to work with. If I had more options then it would look a little cleaner. You guys are a tough crowd.

Where are your choices?

johnrocks
08-18-2010, 08:56 AM

1. Monetary policy - Once the federal reserve is gone, government will not be able to spend whatever it wants.

This for now,imho. It's like eating a pizza, the public will eat us (our ideas) up one delicious bite at a time but trying to shove the entire pie down their throats all at once just isn't realistic.

wizardwatson
08-18-2010, 08:58 AM
Are these poll results becoming part of the official "movement" record. I'd hate to see all this hard work amount to nothing.

fisharmor
08-18-2010, 09:09 AM

These are the ultimate issues: everything else in the list is a proximate issue.
These five are the most important because the other issues aren't really possible unless these five remain unhandled.

The Fed & fiat currency allow the federal government to finance anything they please.
Nullification and Gun freedoms are means by which the people might take back their government.
Lastly, education is the means by which the power brokers keep us believing that nullification is bad, gun control is good, and we'd all be banging rocks together for fire without the fed and fiat currency.

ChaosControl
08-18-2010, 09:14 AM
Hard to limit to 5. But anything that returns government to the local level.
I'd definitely place ending corporate subsidies, ending the fed, and supporting localism at the top. I suppose reduce foreign interventionism and federal spending would be next.

Although really ending federal involvement in anything is equally as important to me.

pcosmar
08-18-2010, 09:18 AM
Some of the choices are redundant, some vague.

I voted,,but I didn't vote for "End federal involvement in" (2nd Amendment is my pet issue) but instead voted support Civil Liberties.

I was also disappointing that "End the Drug War" was not included. Though is may be included in others as well.

Another poll, there will be more. :rolleyes:

btw
Support Civil Liberties

Dreamofunity
08-18-2010, 09:37 AM

Monetary and Foreign policy are most important at this given time in my opinion as well.

newbitech
08-18-2010, 09:43 AM
My picks

PatriotOne
08-18-2010, 09:47 AM
Ending the fed should probably be top priority, because without a central bank, the government could not afford all that other shit on the list anyway.

What he said.

Daamien
08-18-2010, 09:48 AM
Are these poll results becoming part of the official "movement" record. I'd hate to see all this hard work amount to nothing.

Nothing about this is intended to be "official". This poll is limited in scope and not perfect, but is intended to help articulate priorities we should unite behind as we strive to achieve greater liberty and grow our movement.

Daamien
08-18-2010, 09:50 AM
Some of the choices are redundant, some vague.

Such as?

brandon
08-18-2010, 09:55 AM
I don't care if the US withdraws from the UN or not. I, however, want to withdraw from the United States. That is my number one issue. make all the thugs leave me alone.

pcosmar
08-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Nothing about this is intended to be "official". This poll is limited in scope and not perfect, but is intended to help articulate priorities we should unite behind as we strive to achieve greater liberty and grow our movement.

Grow Our Movement.
You know,,,I have said this before. This movement is a continuation of The Patriot Movement that began in the 70s. There are a lot of sub groups, but a return to constitutional principals is the base/core issue that tied them all together.

Our movement started before many of you were born.

Bern
08-18-2010, 10:24 AM
I voted based upon what I thought would be the most marketable points to sell to the public for support, not necessarily for what I personally want the most:

End Corporate Bailouts

I would not support a balanced budget amendment, but I do think that the movement should emphasize reducing federal spending and fiscal responsibility.

Daamien
08-18-2010, 10:36 AM
Grow Our Movement.
You know,,,I have said this before. This movement is a continuation of The Patriot Movement that began in the 70s. There are a lot of sub groups, but a return to constitutional principals is the base/core issue that tied them all together.

Our movement started before many of you were born.

Are you referring to this Patriot Movement (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot_movement) (obviously not the most flattering portrayal) that reached prominence during the 90s?
Or Maybe the movement under the John Birch Society (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Birch_Society) which began in 1958?
Or perhaps you are referring to the Old Right (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Right_%28United_States%29) which gained power in 1937 in opposition to the New Deal and World War II?
Maybe you're referring to the conservative-libertarian policies of Austrian School (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austrian_School#Inter-war_period) proponents during the 1920s?
It could be that you're talking about the Classical Liberalism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_liberalism) movements of the 19th Century?

I could keep going. The point is that the liberty movement does not belong to any particular person or group. Liberty has a very rich history going back to the Enlightenment Era and even beforehand with city-state democracies and republics well into antiquity. This is why I mentioned in the original post of this thread that the movement is a big-tent with many subfactions and beliefs, albeit with a few core issues that unite us. Just because some of us were born after the 1970s does not preclude our involvement in the liberty movement. Feel free to keep thinking that you're special if it makes you happy though.

pcosmar
08-18-2010, 10:40 AM
Are you referring to this Patriot Movement (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot_movement) (obviously not the most flattering portrayal) that reached prominence during the 90s?
Or Maybe the movement under the John Birch Society (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Birch_Society) which began in 1958?
Or perhaps you are referring to the Old Right (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Right_%28United_States%29) which gained power in 1937 in opposition to the New Deal?
Maybe you're referring to the conservative-libertarian policies Austrian School (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austrian_School#Inter-war_period) proponents during the 1920s?
It could be that you're talking about the Classical Liberalism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_liberalism) movements of the 19th Century?

I could keep going. The point is that the liberty movement does not belong to any particular person or group. Liberty has a very rich history going back to the Enlightenment Era and even beforehand with city-state democracies and republics well into antiquity. Just because some of us were born after the 1970s does not preclude our involvement in the liberty movement. Feel free to keep thinking that you're special if it makes you happy though.

You made my point better than I did.
If "our movement" is just the folks that post or visit here, then the view is small.

But there is and has been a larger movement for quite some time.
And there are more of us than you think. ;)

AJ Antimony
08-18-2010, 10:48 AM
* Uphold the Constitution / Pass Enumerated Powers Act
* End Federal Involvement in Healthcare
* Repeal the Income Tax / Reduce Federal Taxation
* Reduce Federal Spending / Pass Balanced Budget Amendment
* End Corporate Bailouts

If "prioritize" means to win elections in 2010, then these are the options

Wolverine302
08-18-2010, 11:44 AM
you can kill 2 birds with one stone with some of these, for example:
a blockade of increasing national debt will force the govt to cut in some other areas, an audit of the fed will cause an uproar and demand reform or a change to sound money and so on..

tremendoustie
08-18-2010, 12:20 PM
The only one of these I don't care for is "Strengthen Border and Port Security". Other than that, these ALL seem like top priorities.

TortoiseDream
08-18-2010, 12:42 PM
I selected:

2. Healthcare BS
3. Audit the Fed
4. End fiat currency
5. End foreign bases

because I think these are the most electable ones. If I were to pick my own priorities they would be a little different.

youngbuck
08-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Well, it's really heard to just pick 5, but here's my quick choice:

Fredom101
08-18-2010, 02:00 PM
These are the 4:
End the income tax
End the fed
End the wars (bring all troops home)
End the drug war

That's it, you need to update the options.

silentshout
08-18-2010, 02:03 PM
Reduce foreign military spending and close bases overseas.
Get rid of the patriot act, warrantless wiretapping and etc
Support civil liberties
End the fed
Dismantle the dea

brenden.b
08-18-2010, 02:35 PM
This was a tough one... All of the issues are so important, but it is definitely important that we start to focus on a fewer pot of issues, like a laser, so we can start knocking some of them off our list, instead of spread our efforts around so much.

Here is how I voted: