PDA

View Full Version : sneaking in campaign funds?

eproxy100
08-17-2010, 09:21 PM
I have a friend whose name was used back a few years ago, without their knowledge, for campaign contributions to a current politician.

I found my friend's name online on a campaign receipt and promptly informed them. This friend of mine cares nothing of politics and stated that they made no such donations. On the receipt the home address was correct but the employer and job position were both false. It seems whoever made the campaign donation flipped through the white pages and randomly picked.

What reasons would there be for not disclosing the real source of the contributions? Foreign funds maybe? Yeah, there's the possibility that someone just wants to stay anonymous for no illegal reason, but how likely is that? The receipient is no libertarian, that's for sure.

I suggest some of you google some of your friends' names and see if any campaign contribution receipts come up.

KCIndy
08-17-2010, 09:29 PM
Could be any number of reasons. Maybe a donor was maxed out and didn't want to use his/her own name anymore. Maybe the real donor simply wanted complete anonymity. If the politician in question is/was shady, might be money coming in from any number of illegal sources... Or it could be that your friend really DID donate, and didn't want anyone, even you, to know... (For some reason lots of people seem to be embarrassed by the idea of political participation...) hence the reason for the false workplace and profession.

eproxy100
08-17-2010, 10:05 PM
Could be any number of reasons. Maybe a donor was maxed out and didn't want to use his/her own name anymore. Maybe the real donor simply wanted complete anonymity. If the politician in question is/was shady, might be money coming in from any number of illegal sources... Or it could be that your friend really DID donate, and didn't want anyone, even you, to know... (For some reason lots of people seem to be embarrassed by the idea of political participation...) hence the reason for the false workplace and profession.

100% sure it wasn't my friend. They care nothing about politics. Besides, it wouldn't make sense to put their real name and address and then put a fake employer and job title. The contribution was nothing to sneeze at either - 2000 bucks!

Baptist
08-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Donate $300 to Ron Paul in all your enemies' names. That way they end up on a list and get hauled to camp fema when crap hits the fan.

libertybrewcity
08-17-2010, 10:13 PM
maybe your friend will make 2k if the campaign returns the money? that would be sweet.