PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Pinball Law Shuts Down N.Y. Arcade

jmdrake
08-17-2010, 11:54 AM
http://www.asylum.com/2010/08/13/anti-pinball-law-shuts-down-new-york-arcade/

Anti-Pinball Law Shuts Down N.Y. Arcade

GamesVideoWeird News

Lawyers for the town Beacon, NY, found an old law on the books that said pinball machines are against the law. Now, they're using it to shut down a retro arcade museum that has had a few too many noise complaints.

No pinball?! Oh GAWD, it's like "Footloose" -- except we actually care about what's being banned.

Apparently pinball was outlawed in most of the country's major cities for a large chunk of the 20th century because politicians thought arcades were mafia-run rackets. And you thought Chuck E. Cheese was just a guy in a mouse suit.

The mayor has said that he wants to help the arcade stay in business, but, for now, since people are complaining and there's a law against it, there's nothing he can do to remedy the situation.

See video of the amazing vintage electro-mechanical machines at the arcade, as well as CNN's incredibly overblown emotional portrayal of the situation after the jump.

ItsTime
08-17-2010, 11:56 AM
I thought the ban was lifted in the 70s?

pcosmar
08-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Digital game suppliers using old laws to stifle mechanical competition perhaps.

just a thought. ;)

libertybrewcity
08-17-2010, 07:50 PM
stupid law.

sratiug
08-17-2010, 08:54 PM
I was arrested for playing pool after midnight after being previously warned by officers at gunpoint that they would arrest me if they caught me again, in my own poolroom, with the doors locked after closing. Our pinball machines, also illegal after midnight, were turned off. I paid $70 bail in one dollar bills. When court came around I waited while about 20 dui cases were pleaded out and the room was empty for the judge to call my name. He listened to my story and dropped the charges (the door was locked and no one else was playing but me, the owner.

The judge told me he saved my case for last because he "knew I would plead innocent and wanted to hear the story." Obviously, he didn't want anyone else to hear the story of police abusing their power or he would have called me first.

james1906
08-17-2010, 08:59 PM
Pinball doesn't desensitize violence. It's an enemy to TPTB. Now back to carjacking and killing hookers.

BlackTerrel
08-17-2010, 09:01 PM
No pinball machines near ground zero.

freedoms-light
08-17-2010, 09:14 PM
YouTube - Pinball Wizard (The Who Woodstock 1969) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GE8nR-5kL4)

00_Pete
08-17-2010, 10:58 PM
Ahhhh pinball machines. I still remember the arcade-saloon manager yelling at us because of all the pinball-machine trashing...and the machines without or with malfunctioning anti-tilt system? Ohhhhh... :D

Let the Pinball-machines go bastards!!