PDA

View Full Version : Top British Doctor: Legalize coke!

itshappening
08-17-2010, 07:29 AM
Professor Sir Ian Gilmore said making drugs such as heroin and cocaine legal would “drastically” cut crime and addicts’ health problems.

State-regulated use of drugs would also save money and avert the need to try to stop drug production in countries such as Afghanistan, he said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/7949342/Cocaine-should-be-legal-says-top-doctor.html

Have to admit I agree with everything he says. A big problem with cocaine is that the dealers cut it with all kinds of things, if it were properly sold, labeled and available legally then it would be a lot safer.

People are going to do drugs anyway and the problem is with coke being illegal is that there is a huge cottage industry of 'legal' highs, essentially new chemicals manufactured to get round drug laws which are then sold on the internet. most of these are WORSE and a lot stronger than coke, so we're pushing people on to harder drugs which we know nothing about.

Krugerrand
08-17-2010, 07:40 AM
While i agree that this would cut crime drastically ... I have to wonder what criminally minded folk would do. Would they say, "well, there goes that gig, I guess I'll have to get a real job," or would they say "well, it looks like I'll be able to transfer my 'skills' to some other criminal activity."

itshappening
08-17-2010, 09:38 AM
good points...

lucius
08-17-2010, 09:42 AM
I agree, although cocaine is not to good refined, but chewing coca leaves is great! If I could buy those; I wouldn't drink coffee...

brandon
08-17-2010, 09:43 AM
While i agree that this would cut crime drastically ... I have to wonder what criminally minded folk would do. Would they say, "well, there goes that gig, I guess I'll have to get a real job," or would they say "well, it looks like I'll be able to transfer my 'skills' to some other criminal activity."

The whole draw of this sort of crime is that people can make big bucks on the black market. If there is no black market, there is no money to be made. Legalize drugs, prostitution, free immigration, guns, and there is virtually nothing left in the black market.

specsaregood
08-17-2010, 09:45 AM
//

Ekrub
08-17-2010, 09:46 AM

Cuts down the amount of money that can be made, reducing crime. Some yes, will move on to real jobs, while others move on to different criminal activity. But overall it would be a net positive if you took away the drug trade from criminals.

muzzled dogg
08-17-2010, 10:12 AM
http://www.cantstopthebleeding.com/img/Tyrone2.jpg

Krugerrand
08-17-2010, 10:14 AM
Cuts down the amount of money that can be made, reducing crime. Some yes, will move on to real jobs, while others move on to different criminal activity. But overall it would be a net positive if you took away the drug trade from criminals.

I agree with your points. It would be wise to legalize the drugs, take the drug trade money away from criminals ... and be prepared for other criminal activity to spike. At least in the short term the spike should be expected. I think in time it supply/demand equation would kick in and the lack of easy opportunity would decrease the appeal of criminal behavior.