PDA

View Full Version : Jack Conway gets endorsement over Rand Paul from FOP

BamaFanNKy
08-16-2010, 05:38 PM
http://freemaninky.blogspot.com/2010/08/congrats-to-jack-conway-for-securing.html

Read blog. Not a very pro-Conway blogger.

Matt Collins
08-16-2010, 05:45 PM
Aren't they essentially a police union?
If that's the case then it's no surprise the big union backs the big government candidate.

BamaFanNKy
08-16-2010, 05:48 PM
Aren't they essentially a police union?
If that's the case then it's no surprise the big union backs the big government candidate.

They've endorsed many small government candidates before. This is purely because Jack is AG and has done a good job by them. It's as if the Eye Doctors endorsed Dr. Paul.

sailingaway
08-16-2010, 06:06 PM
They are a union, also I understand from another account, Rand didn't send back their questionaire nor respond to a request for if he wanted to speak there. That last actually sounds odd. I wonder if it is true, or was a late request?

devil21
08-16-2010, 06:16 PM
They are a union, also I understand from another account, Rand didn't send back their questionaire nor respond to a request for if he wanted to speak there. That last actually sounds odd. I wonder if it is true, or was a late request?

He probably learned his lesson about opening himself up to hostile questioning. The FOP is about as union as it gets and Rand's campaign would be crazy to think they had a shot at their endorsement. Cops want more government spending and bureacracy, not less.

BamaFanNKy
08-16-2010, 06:20 PM
"As union as it gets?" Ummm. no they aren't.

devil21
08-16-2010, 06:35 PM
"As union as it gets?" Ummm. no they aren't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraternal_Order_of_Police

The Fraternal Order of Police (FOP) is an organization of sworn law enforcement officers in the United States. It claims a membership of over 325,000 members organized in 2100 local chapters (lodges), organized into local lodges, state lodges, and the national Grand Lodge. The FOP calls itself "the voice of our nation's law enforcement officers."[1]

Im sorry but that's a union. Please point out another union that has more than 325,000 members.

BamaFanNKy
08-16-2010, 06:50 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraternal_Order_of_Police

Im sorry but that's a union. Please point out another union that has more than 325,000 members.

Your point seemed to basically say they were like SEIU. FOP is not some hack union. Making them out to be a bad guy is a lame thing to do.

RonPaulFanInGA
08-16-2010, 07:03 PM
Is this that same union that always endorses anti-gun rights candidates? Feels like I've seen quite a few stories over the past few years about some police union endorsing a candidate because either they're for gun control or the other guy is not for gun control.

If so, Paul never had a chance:

http://www.jackconway2010.com/jack-is-anti-gun/

http://www.randpaul2010.com/2010/01/gun-owners-of-america-endorse/

specsaregood
08-16-2010, 07:06 PM
Never gotten pulled over while having an FOP badge on my license plate. With that said, not surprised they would go with throw-em-all-in-jail-let-god-sort-em-out-Conway

BamaFanNKy
08-16-2010, 08:29 PM
Is this that same union that always endorses anti-gun rights candidates? Feels like I've seen quite a few stories over the past few years about some police union endorsing a candidate because either they're for gun control or the other guy is not for gun control.

If so, Paul never had a chance:

http://www.jackconway2010.com/jack-is-anti-gun/

http://www.randpaul2010.com/2010/01/gun-owners-of-america-endorse/

No. They back the NRA/GOA candidates most of the time in Kentucky.

GunnyFreedom
08-16-2010, 08:39 PM

I my postal carrier (failed to :D) deliver the same offer. It's an offer for the candidate to show up alone and literally be grilled by 8 to 10 union cops for a couple hours. I was left with the impression that there would be smoky cigars and a desklamp pointed in my eyes. They reveal their positions beforehand, inasmuch as they want less oversight and freedom to do to the public as they please without repercussions, higher pensions, and much more. It's all very disturbing stuff. I didn't respond to the invite, and Rand not responding is a good idea IMHO.

That meeting could only go well if you were a totalitarian statist, from what I saw. They want more unwarranted surveillance, they want more power to jackboot without oversight, they want more money for the privilege of crushing civilians. Thanks, but no thanks. No answer is better than the answer they'd get, I can assure you.

GunnyFreedom
08-16-2010, 08:41 PM
Your point seemed to basically say they were like SEIU. FOP is not some hack union. Making them out to be a bad guy is a lame thing to do.

No. They back the NRA/GOA candidates most of the time in Kentucky.

Yeah, you didn't see the FOP invite. :(

GunnyFreedom
08-16-2010, 08:52 PM
Nevermind, mine was the Police Benevolent Association, not the FOP. But let me reiterate... scaaaaarrrryyyyyyyy

libertybrewcity
08-16-2010, 09:05 PM
He probably learned his lesson about opening himself up to hostile questioning. The FOP is about as union as it gets and Rand's campaign would be crazy to think they had a shot at their endorsement. Cops want more government spending and bureacracy, not less.

You obviously don't know cops. Both my parents were cops. My pops just retired with 30 years on. The majority of cops I've been around (big city cops) are conservative or Republican, and don't want more bureaucracy. Many could care less about more spending as long as they don't get fired or get a cut in pay.

BamaFanNKy
08-16-2010, 09:34 PM
You obviously don't know cops. Both my parents were cops. My pops just retired with 30 years on. The majority of cops I've been around (big city cops) are conservative or Republican, and don't want more bureaucracy. Many could care less about more spending as long as they don't get fired or get a cut in pay.

Exactly. I was reading about my Great Great Great Great Grandfather who was a sheriff in New Mexico before it was part of the union. He sounds like some the Kentucky cops I know. As long as you don't mess with people or their property... they are cool. Now there are some assholes but, many don't even like busting people for pot.

sailingaway
08-16-2010, 09:34 PM
I like cops. But I do know a few who think the 'rules' get in the way. They have the perspective of figuring they are good guys trying to protect the public, and see due process as sometimes getting in the way on occassion. Which, in truth, it does. Due process is for the protection of innocent suspects, it just plays out most often where people are guilty.

BamaFanNKy
08-16-2010, 09:35 PM
I like cops. But I do know a few who think the 'rules' get in the way. They have the perspective of figuring they are good guys trying to protect the public, and see due process as sometimes getting in the way on occassion. Which, in truth, it does. Due process is for the protection of innocent suspects, it just plays out most often where people are guilty.

Hey, I'd want more power if I was doing that job. I can't fault some of them.

libertybrewcity
08-16-2010, 09:45 PM
I will say in addition to my above comment that some cops do have a problem with the 2nd amendment people they see things that the normal person doesn't see, for example, a child's brain splattered on the wall. They don't see the bigger picture of the 2nd amendment as a fundamental right to protection.

Many also have a problem with drugs, again, because it all ties into the guns, gangs, and minorities. Overall, cops are thick headed and hard to get through to. I've been working on my pops for over a year now, and he seems to be open to the idea more and more.

devil21
08-16-2010, 11:54 PM

You assume very wrong. Not only have I known many cops, I've worked with them in a local governmental/political capacity. To call them "small government advocates" would be laughable, since most complain they don't get enough taxpayer money for their cop toys, overtime, and pension plans, not to mention the disdain for the laws that bind their actions and the 2nd amendment. None of that qualifies as conservative to me.

The national FOP is a union, as is the Benevolent Association (Orwellian term eh Gunny?). In fact, many of the cops I worked with were members of them all, as well as the AFSCME. Sure there are exceptions and your parents may have been exceptions but the FOP itself is structurally a union and that can't be denied. The thread is about the FOP and they endorsed...surprise....the union candidate.