PDA

View Full Version : League City, Texas Library gets new patriotic bookshelf; Ron Paul visits to celebrate

FrankRep
08-16-2010, 04:22 PM
http://www.hcnonline.com/content/articles/2010/08/16/bay_area_citizen/news/8ronpaul192.jpg

Library receives new patriotic bookshelf (http://www.hcnonline.com/articles/2010/08/16/bay_area_citizen/news/8ronpaul19.txt)

Bay Area, The Citizen
Aug 16, 2010

Congressman Ron Paul visited the Helen Hall Library in League City Thursday to help celebrate the installation of the library’s new We the People “A More Perfect Union” Bookshelf.

The We the People Bookshelf, a collection of classic books for young readers, is a project of the National Endowment for the Humanities’ We the People program, conducted in cooperation with the American Library Association Public Programs Office.

Each year, NEH identifies a theme important to the nation’s heritage and selects books that embody that theme to build the We the People Bookshelf. The theme for the 2010 Bookshelf is “A More Perfect Union.”

During Thursday’s reception, Paul told library employees, volunteers and League City elected officials that promoting books is an issue close to his heart.

“I personally like books because books become very valuable to us,” he said.

“I want to underline ‘em and make notes, and keep ‘em and they have to be mine. If anybody asks me to borrow a book, I’m very very selfish. But I tell them, if you want that book and you want to read it, I’m going to buy you a copy and I’ll send it to you, and it can be your book.”

Paul said he believes books will always be key to a good education.

“The founders didn’t have to have a contest between internet and books. They read. They were well-educated, and a lot of them were self-educated and home-educated, family-educated and church-educated,” he said.

“It was their ability to learn back in those days that really gave them the intelligence to write the great Constitution that we have. And it wasn’t a perfect Constitution; it’s still not perfect, but I believe it was the best ever written for the people.”

Paul notes that Americans face numerous challenges when it comes to politics and obeying the Constitution.

“But I think there’s every reason in the world to be optimistic,” he said. “And I’m optimistic when I come and visit with groups like this, emphasizing the need to use libraries.”

Library volunteer Peggy Zahler told the crowd that constituents can always count on Paul to be there for community events.

“I can’t think of anyone else who, over a period of time, has maintained and communicated to all of us the importance of the love of our country, the importance of adhering to our Constitution, and how important family values are, as well as promoting literacy in our communities,” Zahler said.

The National Endowment for the Humanities’ We the People initiative aims to encourage and strengthen the teaching, study, and understanding of American history and culture through libraries, schools, colleges, universities, and cultural institutions.

Since 2003, NEH and ALA have awarded We the People Bookshelves to 17,000 public and school libraries. NEH plans to issue a We the People Bookshelf each year on themes related to American ideas and ideals.

SOURCE:
http://www.hcnonline.com/articles/2010/08/16/bay_area_citizen/news/8ronpaul19.txt