PDA

View Full Version : Glen Bradley huge event

GunnyFreedom
08-16-2010, 11:18 AM
September 17th 2010, Constitution Day, in Halifax County (Roanoke Rapids vicinity) we have secured Kevin Jackson (http://theblacksphere.net/) as a headliner. We will need help to organize and arrange. The time is shorter than it seems, and turning this event into a huge huge deal will turn my race into a nearly guaranteed win.

The biggest Republican weakness in my district is the African American demographic in Halifax County, and the complaint is that Republicans make no real attempt to speak to black Americans.

I have two groups I can connect with, but I want to make this event bigger than big, and organizing such events is a little new to me.

Kevin Jackson is foregoing his speaker fees, and is asking only for expenses. If needs be we can come up with the $3500 out of pocket -- it's really worth it -- so the funding is only a secondary concern against making the event itself as huge as possible.

I'll be inviting the Halifax County Black Caucus, and the Halifax County NAACP. Whatever we can do to bring just mad tons of people and media to this thing will be gigantic.

If we can reach into this demographic, there will be no stopping us in November! :D

Southron
08-16-2010, 11:33 AM
Sounds exciting

jacque
08-16-2010, 12:13 PM
I have contacted several meeting/convention locations in Roanoke Rapids. I will have that information within a few days. I location will depend on the turnout. There are sizes from 100 to 1000.

Cost may be the factor also. We need a somewhat gauarenteed count very soon.:D

KCIndy
08-16-2010, 03:19 PM
It's pretty clear we need to get a widely publicized (at least here on RPF) and well organized "Gunny Money Bomb" started NOW, with planning well in advance so we can get a good response. Possibly Sept. 17th in addition to the Constitution Day event??

Just a thought...

erowe1
08-16-2010, 03:29 PM
Make sure to have someone delegated the responsibility of sending press releases to all the papers in that area, include any small weekly ones, as well as any large ones from a metropolitan area nearby. They need to email them the PR and follow up to make sure it gets printed. You might also consider buying newspaper ads if this event is really such a major thing for the campaign.

Have fliers posted anywhere around the area that you can, like coffee shops, colleges, store bulletin boards.

You might try to find some local black advocacy group or church in that area that is politically active and try to make contact with someone who's involved and just try to have a conversation with him or her over the phone about what you're doing and try to pick their brain about how to get the word out to the community to let them know you want to solicit African Americans to attend and you want to listen to their concerns and dialog with them. You might get some great tips that way. It might be that some churches are key centers of political action and just getting them to mention your event in their bulletin will get people there. Or there may be some big community event coming up between now and then where you could publicize what you're doing.

Get in contact with the county GOP of that county and neighboring ones and get them to announce the event in any newsletters or emails they send out to their members. Again, this should be delegated to someone who will be able to follow up and make sure it happens.

KCIndy
08-16-2010, 03:35 PM
You might try to find some local black advocacy group or church in that area that is politically active and try to make contact with someone who's involved and just try to have a conversation with him or her over the phone about what you're doing and try to pick their brain about how to get the word out to the community to let them know you want to solicit African Americans to attend and you want to listen to their concerns and dialog with them. You might get some great tips that way.

I was thinking something along the same line. I can see this as being a situation that would call for some very delicate handling. When race and politics are combined, it's so easy for something to be taken the wrong way or misunderstood. Putting out some feelers ahead of time would, IMHO, be a very good idea.

jacque
08-16-2010, 04:16 PM
Glen will be in contact with the Halifax County Black Caucus and the NAACP person he met at the Halifax County Black Caucus.

He went to every forum that HCBC invited him to so he already has the in there.

I will be working on the press releases with you guys helping me with the input. I will contact the Vance County Black Caucus and get up with Warren County GOP to do the same.

I have already contacted the NC GOP to get directions on the who and where for the press releases. I will call him tomorrow.

Now the location. I have checked the surrounding area and should have pricing within the next 2 days.

Thanks for your help. Keep it coming. This is truly a turning point we need to take advantage of.

rancher89
08-16-2010, 06:46 PM
Doggonit Glen, I have two, count them two conflicting events on that date already and have been stressing missing either one of them......grrrrr

let me know what I can do to help promote.