PDA

View Full Version : RNC pushes primaries back, pushes for proportional representation....

sailingaway
08-16-2010, 09:32 AM
http://washingtonindependent.com/93999/rnc-overhauls-2012-presidential-primary-calendar

South Park Fan
08-16-2010, 09:38 AM
I think both of these developments benefit us. The later primaries allow us to have greater time to build support in the early states, and proportional representation allows us to rake up several delegates without winning states. Given that Ron Paul is polling 10% right now, he would have a good chance at getting 238 delegates rather than the 35 he got last time 'round.

brandon
08-16-2010, 09:42 AM
This article lacks a lot of detail. Interesting though.

NCGOPer_for_Paul
08-16-2010, 10:45 AM
The party is actually responding to the disaster of McCain. The RNC does not want to have to get behind a candidate who less than 35% of the party actually wants as the nominee.

If this rule is actually enforced - what happened in Nevada cannot happen again.

Also, the prospect of a brokered convention is very real, assuming the major candidates stay in for the duration.

South Park Fan
08-16-2010, 10:53 AM
Also, the prospect of a brokered convention is very real, assuming the major candidates stay in for the duration.

I'd say that's pretty likely. McCain only got 46% on the total vote, even though he wsa virtually uncontested (except for Ron Paul) after March 4 and was incredibly likely to win after February 5. I suspect that the usual gang of neocons will be more hesitant to drop out if they think they can still win, which further splits the neocon vote for longer and puts Ron Paul in an even better position to win.

NCGOPer_for_Paul
08-16-2010, 11:06 AM
I'd say that's pretty likely. McCain only got 46% on the total vote, even though he wsa virtually uncontested (except for Ron Paul) after March 4 and was incredibly likely to win after February 5. I suspect that the usual gang of neocons will be more hesitant to drop out if they think they can still win, which further splits the neocon vote for longer and puts Ron Paul in an even better position to win.

I figured the 2008 primaries/caucuses out two years ago if the GOP did a proportional delegate allocation and came up with something like this:

McCain ~ 1200
Romney ~ 450
Huckabee ~ 400
Paul ~ 150
Thompson ~ 30
Guiliani ~ 20

and ~ 175 officially uncomitted (3 per state and territory)

It would have even been closer because under proportional allocation Romney/Huckabee wouldn't have dropped out.

specsaregood
08-16-2010, 11:19 AM

The chances of Dr. Paul walking out of a brokered convention with the nomination are even less than him winning the nomination outright.
Food for thought....

Elwar
08-16-2010, 11:27 AM
They were looking at it last time but in the end the big boys like doing things the way it's been done for years...

speciallyblend
08-16-2010, 11:29 AM
The chances of Dr. Paul walking out of a brokered convention with the nomination are even less than him winning the nomination outright.
Food for thought....

then i suggest the gop might become an unviable 3rd party. if they choose to ignore Ron Paul!!

Akus
08-16-2010, 11:39 AM
then i suggest the gop might become an unviable 3rd party. if they choose to ignore Ron Paul!!

And what party you say will take their place?