PDA

View Full Version : BJ getting some local news coverage

PBrady
08-16-2010, 07:49 AM
http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/8139589/

MRoCkEd
08-16-2010, 07:52 AM
However, B.J. Lawson, a candidate for the U.S. House of Representatives, likely won't be a favorite at the polls with Latinos.

“We cannot tolerate amnesty. It’s cutting the line. It’s not fair. It’s not just,” Lawson told the crowd Sunday.

Lawson was booed when he spoke against granting citizenship to people who are in the country illegally.

“It’s not enough to get in front of people who are going to be a friendly crowd and promise what they want to hear,” Lawson said in response to his unwelcoming reception.

Does he want to win the election or not? :confused:

GunnyFreedom
08-16-2010, 07:59 AM
BJ has some real guts to do that! :eek: :D There's another model for my "not-politician" bag o tricks. Currently filled with a LOT of Ron Paul, a little BJ Lawson, and just a pinch of Jason Chaffetz. At least I know will have some great examples to follow. :)

GunnyFreedom
08-16-2010, 08:06 AM

That won't hurt him in the 4th as much as you think, a lot of conservative lefties around here share that position. A lot of the conservative left are more likely to be impressed with his "honesty under fire."

Remember that the Democrat electorate around here is quite different from elsewhere in the US, even if the Democrat politicians are not.

Yeah, it's a good trick to determine what issues it's OK to take a stand on and what issues it's better to demur, and it takes some pretty slick political understanding, but I'm pretty confident that this stand on this issue in his district will not hurt him.

PBrady
08-16-2010, 08:07 AM
I'm not sure if he stressed it more and the media just didn't cover it in the short segment, but I feel like the part of his platform which reads:

People here illegally should be given the opportunity to obtain temporary status as a guest worker, but that a path to permanent residency or citizenship requires that they leave the country and reapply through a fair, sustainable, and streamlined process that is accessible to all.

could be agreed upon by MOST people. I mean, if he didn't stress things like that, I'm not really sure what the point in going the event was, if it was only going to get a room full of 1,500 people angry at him.

Either way, the courage to do something like that is something that no politician could ever muster up.

PBrady
08-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Here is a sort of follow up video to that event/article:

YouTube - E Pluribus Unum: "Out of many, one". Say NO to Amnesty! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8FvbrxRZNY)

imho...:rolleyes:

marc1888
08-16-2010, 05:31 PM
That won't hurt him in the 4th as much as you think, a lot of conservative lefties around here share that position. A lot of the conservative left are more likely to be impressed with his "honesty under fire."

Remember that the Democrat electorate around here is quite different from elsewhere in the US, even if the Democrat politicians are not.

Yeah, it's a good trick to determine what issues it's OK to take a stand on and what issues it's better to demur, and it takes some pretty slick political understanding, but I'm pretty confident that this stand on this issue in his district will not hurt him.

Hey Gunny,

It will hurt him. He is putting all his eggs in the one basket and i sincerely hope it works for him. I also think the Democratic vote will hold even through this Obama shambles. The Dem voters might want to apathetically bloody the party nose but not at the expense of losing 210 years of redistricting powers and their gerrymandered fiefdom. However i do hope you and BJ prove me wrong, i really do :-)

Nathan Hale
08-16-2010, 05:47 PM
What ever happened to BJ running left? That was his strong point in 2008. Even with a right-leaning political climate, we need to understand that NC-4 is not a district that is going to be won by citing tea party talking points.

Matt Collins
08-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Anyone else see this thread title and think something else too?

Kotin
08-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Anyone else see this thread title and think something else too?

really matt?

MRoCkEd
08-16-2010, 06:24 PM
What ever happened to BJ running left? That was his strong point in 2008. Even with a right-leaning political climate, we need to understand that NC-4 is not a district that is going to be won by citing tea party talking points.
Yes. I am very disappointed in how BJ is running his campaign. He's acting like a typical Republican. The primary is over. If he wants any chance in this district, he needs to run to the left of price, focusing on ending the wars and protecting civil liberties. NOT on lower taxes, less regulation, less spending, sealing the borders, etc.

Nathan Hale
08-16-2010, 08:47 PM
Yes. I am very disappointed in how BJ is running his campaign. He's acting like a typical Republican. The primary is over. If he wants any chance in this district, he needs to run to the left of price, focusing on ending the wars and protecting civil liberties. NOT on lower taxes, less regulation, less spending, sealing the borders, etc.

Well, he can still talk about those things - he just needs to spin them to make them more palatable by the left. "Sealing the border" could be "encourage legal immigration" and "enforce the laws on the books". "Less regulation" could be "simpler, common sense regulation". But I agree with you that he has a wealth of anti-corporatist, anti-empire positions that he's totally ignoring in what amounts to a blue district.

GunnyFreedom
08-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Well, he can still talk about those things - he just needs to spin them to make them more palatable by the left. "Sealing the border" could be "encourage legal immigration" and "enforce the laws on the books". "Less regulation" could be "simpler, common sense regulation". But I agree with you that he has a wealth of anti-corporatist, anti-empire positions that he's totally ignoring in what amounts to a blue district.

This I agree with wholeheartedly.

cbc58
08-17-2010, 08:25 AM
Price makes me sick. I applaud BJ for his stance... but it will cost him votes.

It is going to be critical to get his supporters mobilized to get people out to vote because the latino community wants to keep Price in office.

Nathan Hale
08-19-2010, 09:51 AM
Price makes me sick. I applaud BJ for his stance... but it will cost him votes.

It is going to be critical to get his supporters mobilized to get people out to vote because the latino community wants to keep Price in office.

Yes, Price makes us all sick, but "votes" are not something BJ can afford to spend. He can build a kick-ass platform a'la his 2008 platform that attracts voters from the left without alienating voters from the right. Let's not forget that in 2008, a Dem+++ year, BJ scored the highest vote totals by a Republican against Price - EVER. Now that its a GOP+++ year, BJ can ride that momentum to victory. But not if he paints himself as a "tea party" guy on the far right.

crazyfacedjenkins
08-19-2010, 10:25 AM
He's f'd

Barney
08-26-2010, 10:00 AM
He's f'd

I don't think so.

Seriously, most of the people in that room aren't going to vote Lawson regardless. Even if he were to swing far left and declared full support for Amnesty he still wouldn't win any of those votes because he wouldn't be credible. What could possibly be gained by kowtowing to a crowd of hard core, single issue special interest voters?

And like Dr Paul said, what's the point of winning if you don't stand for anything. I think Lawson would be the closest thing to Ron Paul if he were to be elected. Much more so than Rand.

Austrian Econ Disciple
08-26-2010, 07:04 PM
Immigration debate is a problem of government intervention, and we have a lot of people on here proposing government intervention to help a problem government intervention created, thus will be created a new problem by government intervention, and then a new solution through government intervention, etc. It's a never ending fucking cycle. If you want to stop the massive immigration do something about the FREE HANDOUTS. Good lord. This debate is so stupid for these very reasons. Government intervention begets government intervention ergo, begets NEGATION OF LIBERTY.

Minuteman2012
08-30-2010, 10:22 AM

Pretty sure he does, and his opposition to amnesty is in line with most of the American electorate.

SilentBull
08-31-2010, 09:19 AM
Didn't I read somewhere in here that he's still handing out pocket constitutions?? I have no hopes that he will win if that's how they're running that campaign. We need to stop educating and start winning.