PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul and the Ground Zero Mosque

Fozz
08-15-2010, 10:10 PM
I would prefer for this not to be an issue in the Kentucky Senate election, but considering all that is happening, chances are that this issue will come up between now and November, and Rand will probably have to take a position on this.

If this issue comes up, here is what I think Rand should do:

He should say that this is a local issue in NYC that should not be nationalized.

If he has to take a position, he should say that the Constitution protects the freedom of religion and the right to build a place of worship on private property. HOWEVER, he should also say that it would be a better idea to build the mosque in a different location.

Kentucky is in Middle America, and although there are people here who know more about the state than I do, I have the impression that a lot of people in that state are anti-Muslim, and an endorsement of the mosque will hurt Rand's chance of getting elected. If Rand has to take a position on this issue, I think he should politely oppose the wisdom of building a mosque there, without sounding bigoted or offensive (or else, he would lose support from his libertarian base, which is us). Like foreign policy, this will be an issue in which he'll have to walk a fine line.

What do you guys think?

sailingaway
08-15-2010, 10:20 PM
Hannity asked him and he said if they [the mosque builders] were trying to engage in reconciliation, as they said they were, that didn't seem like a very good place to put a mosque. He didn't take a position on govenrmental action, but I don't see how he could say anything but support freedom of religion in that instance. Nor would I want him to.

Fozz
08-15-2010, 10:21 PM
Hannity asked him and he said if they [the mosque builders] were trying to engage in reconciliation, as they said they were, that didn't seem like a very good place to put a mosque. He didn't take a position on govenrmental action, but I don't see how he could say anything but support freedom of religion in that instance. Nor would I want him to.

Tubes?

sailingaway
08-15-2010, 10:37 PM
Tubes?

Oh, gosh they should be here somewhere. I think it was the latest one on the radio, when he was going to deny kidnapping and forceably drugging anyone. Hannity had the sense to start with a general policy discussion.....I'm not actually sure if someone posted tubes...

Fozz
08-15-2010, 10:38 PM
Oh, gosh they should be here somewhere. I think it was the latest one on the radio, when he was going to deny kidnapping and forceably drugging anyone. Hannity had the sense to start with a general policy discussion.....I'm not actually sure if someone posted tubes...

I believe you. I was just curious because through Google I did not find any Rand Paul comment on the mosque.

sailingaway
08-15-2010, 10:40 PM
I believe you. I was just curious because through Google I did not find any Rand Paul comment on the mosque.

here's the thread, no tube. It might be on youtube. It was the radio show, though. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=256581&highlight=rand+hannity There was a discussion later about his comments on the mosque. I didn't hear them, I just read about them. specsaregood heard them, he clarified them as I just did.

Fozz
08-15-2010, 10:41 PM

Never mind, this article mentioned it.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/242963/paul-hannity-radio-nr-intern

Adrock
08-15-2010, 10:43 PM
Rand should stay away from this one. Obama nationalizing this is a net negative for him and any Democrat running in Kentucky by association. Rand should just keep talking about other national issues and keep linking Conway to Obama through those issues.

sailingaway
08-15-2010, 10:45 PM
Rand should stay away from this one. Obama nationalizing this is a net negative for him and any Democrat running in Kentucky by association. Rand should just keep talking about other national issues and keep linking Conway to Obama through those issues.

I don't think anyone thinks Rand should make a big issue of this, he just has to have a comment ready if he is on the spot. It is an emotional issue, but the Constitution is clear.

low preference guy
08-15-2010, 10:47 PM
It is an emotional issue, but the Constitution is clear.

It's a local issue. The local state can use eminent domain to build roads through it, or a park. Eminent domain is unfortunately Constitutional, and they can use it to tear this place down.

sailingaway
08-15-2010, 10:53 PM
It's a local issue. The local state can use eminent domain to build roads through it, or a park. Eminent domain is unfortunately Constitutional, and they can use it to tear this place down.

Not under the current SCOTUS interpretation of the 14th incorporating the first, they'd have to have a different reason than that it was a mosque, wouldn't they?

low preference guy
08-15-2010, 10:55 PM
Not under the current SCOTUS interpretation of the 14th incorporating the first, they'd have to have a different reason than that it was a mosque, wouldn't they?

Yes, but it's hard to prove someone's intention. They could just say it's the best place to build a park. Or something else. They just need to find strategic characteristics of that place and say "it's the best place to do this". And the argument put forward might not have anything to do with religion.

MRoCkEd
08-15-2010, 11:03 PM
As SA mentioned, Rand did not comment on what the government should do, but simply said, "It doesn't sound like the best idea."

sailingaway
08-15-2010, 11:04 PM
Yes, but it's hard to prove someone's intention. They could just say it's the best place to build a park. Or something else. They just need to find strategic characteristics of that place and say "it's the best place to do this". And the argument put forward might not have anything to do with religion.

Had they STARTED that way it might have worked.... now, though, I don't think so.

The Dark Knight
08-16-2010, 09:56 AM
As has been preciously stated, I think it would be best to say it would be better if it were located somewhere else but also remind people the Constitution protects their right to build there.

specsaregood
08-16-2010, 10:34 AM
I would prefer for this not to be an issue in the Kentucky Senate election, but considering all that is happening, chances are that this issue will come up between now and November, and Rand will probably have to take a position on this.

So now he has to take a position on any given local matter? First the opponents attack him for focusing on national stuff too much and not enough on KY only issues, now you expect him to take positions on local issues from out of state?

The position I suggest is somewhere in what I just said.

Aratus
08-16-2010, 02:04 PM
if sen. harry reid and potus barack obama are on opposite sides of this issue,
methinks either jack conway and/or rand paul may soon articulate out a stance
that is quite close basically to at least ONE of the two famous D.C Democrats!