PDA

View Full Version : Jon Stewart Calls Out Those Blindly Opposed to Ground Zero Mosque

BlackTerrel
08-15-2010, 12:25 PM
One of my friends posted this on Facebook today... hysterical.

http://tv.gawker.com/5609824/jon-stewart-calls-out-those-blindly-opposed-to-ground-zero-mosque

Aratus
08-15-2010, 12:31 PM
well doggy... we do indeedy know who jon stewart will be votin' ferrr in 2012!

Ekrub
08-15-2010, 12:32 PM
Same people criticizing Rand for defending property rights. I didn't watch it but I find their hypocrisy disgusting.

Jack Bauer
08-15-2010, 12:47 PM
Same people criticizing Rand for defending property rights. I didn't watch it but I find their hypocrisy disgusting.

Hear hear!

jmdrake
08-15-2010, 12:55 PM

I don't recall Jon Stewart taking any issue with Rand over the Civil Rights Act. Maybe you're mistaking Jon Stewart with Rachel Maddow. They do kind of look alike.

Anyway, Jon Stewart isn't taking a "property rights" position here. He's taking a position against intolerance. So if you don't believe in unlimited property rights (as a liberal I doubt he does) and you're against tolerance than criticizing Rand's perceived* position on the CRA and criticizing those attacking the Mosque are consistent positions.

* Note I put perceived in quotes because Rand's statements were far more about keeping the federal government within its proper bounds than some unenumerated "right to discriminate".

Knightskye
08-15-2010, 12:55 PM
I loved that soundbite -- "It used to be the Burlington Coat Factory."

jmdrake
08-15-2010, 12:56 PM
One of my friends posted this on Facebook today... hysterical.

http://tv.gawker.com/5609824/jon-stewart-calls-out-those-blindly-opposed-to-ground-zero-mosque

I LOL'd at the sequence showing the widening length as to how far away an Islamic center would have to be from ground zero to be acceptable.

RM918
08-15-2010, 01:03 PM
Having a tough time reconciling this issue with my Glenn Beck watching relatives, he's certainly not helping out here. They think it's a gigantic middle finger to the entire area and cannot understand how, if the Muslims opening this place are trying to aide their reputation, they'd keep going through with this and even have the opening of the place on 9/11 in 2011. Or so I've heard from them. Holding a religion of 1.4 billion responsible for the actions of a few dozen or hundred or whatever whackjobs somehow makes sense, if you think of Muslims as a homogeneous hive-mind.

BlackTerrel
08-15-2010, 01:12 PM

I haven't even heard Stewart mention Rand - let alone criticize him.

thehunter
08-15-2010, 03:32 PM
I still say -- show me the money!

jclay2
08-15-2010, 04:09 PM
To bad this guy will be up there in support of government intervention in the economy on his next skit.

anaconda
08-15-2010, 04:17 PM
The only thing people should be opposed to is a CIA/MOSSAD/FEMA facility at ground zero.

Knightskye
08-15-2010, 04:31 PM
I LOL'd at the sequence showing the widening length as to how far away an Islamic center would have to be from ground zero to be acceptable.

Yeah, seriously. Cheesehead-wearing Muslims would be a problem, no? :D

silentshout
08-15-2010, 05:11 PM
Hilarious. Thanks for the link.

ElCount
08-15-2010, 06:11 PM
That and the two other clips on the right were hysterical, thanks for posting ;]

Ekrub
08-16-2010, 12:17 AM
I haven't even heard Stewart mention Rand - let alone criticize him.

I wasn't specifically talking about John Stewart, which is why I made a point to say that I hadn't watched the clip. I am just talking about liberal hosts (and John Stewart did make a Rand Paul joke if I remember correctly), criticizing Rand Paul for defending property rights when his argument would apply here (maybe not necessarily the freedom of association, but the freedom to do what you want on your property)