PDA

View Full Version : Thousands Rally for Coal Appreciation Day

sailingaway
08-14-2010, 10:06 PM
http://www.wkyt.com/wymtnews/headlines/100696569.html

" Thousands of eastern Kentuckians are rallying in the name of coal.

Thousands spent their Saturday at "Coal Appreciation Day" at the Knott County Sportsplex. They the heat to rally for the industry that supporters say "keeps the lights on."

"Rallies like this is what we need to do. We need to make the EPA aware that we understand what they are trying to do, and that is shut down coal mining," said Johnny Ray Turner, Democrat State Senator for the 29th District.

Free food, games, and a concert from Stella Parton were part of the entertainment. But officials said their top priority was to educate everyone about the importance of the mining industry.

"This coal's gotta go on in this part of the country for people to survive. If it goes down, it'd be a scary time here," Glenn Stone, a retired coal miner, said.

Many at the event feel coal mining is under attack from Washington, and further regulations from the EPA are hurting the industry and families.

"We still want industry to thrive because we have huge unemployment now. But what are they doing in eastern Kentucky? They won't give any mining permits," said Rand Paul, Republican Candidate for U.S. Senate.

Local politicians say the battle for coal is beyond party lines.

"It's not about party lines. It's about doing what we know is right. Not just for us, but for all things about coal and energy impact," said Brandon Smith, Republican State Senator for the 30th District.

"We gotta protect our way of life and fight to have what we do, and that's mine coal for a living," said W. Keith Hall, Democrat State Representative for the 93rd District.

The crowd hopes their voices are heard from Frankfort to Washington."

Adrock
08-14-2010, 11:44 PM
Where's Jack?

BamaFanNKy
08-15-2010, 06:22 AM
Jack was there this week telling us the dangers of the gateway drug, Marijuana.

BenIsForRon
08-15-2010, 08:22 AM
Who gives a crap if our great-great-grandchildren would like to have mountains in east kentucky, I want my plasma TV now!

sailingaway
08-15-2010, 08:34 AM
Who gives a crap if our great-great-grandchildren would like to have mountains in east kentucky, I want my plasma TV now!

Did you watch the Coal Fed Families video?

It is a very depressed area and for ANY development to occur, they have to flatten mountains. Obviously, that could be taken too far, but shouldn't the region be able to decide for itself how many mountains it wants flattened and how it wants to do that?

silverhandorder
08-15-2010, 09:55 AM

Seriously if you are such a hyper environmentalist you should go and band with your friends and buy those mountains.

Your ideology makes no sense what so ever. It is understandable to protest debt because the kids will be forced to pay it. However to protest use of private property because some day in the future some one may want that private property is ludicrous. The kids are not entitled to things in the future.

And yes many people do appreciate nature. You are a paranoid crank. Private sector without government can optimally decide what part of nature to use for development and what parts to be left for people to enjoy.

specsaregood
08-15-2010, 10:01 AM
Did you watch the Coal Fed Families video?

It is a very depressed area and for ANY development to occur, they have to flatten mountains. Obviously, that could be taken too far, but shouldn't the region be able to decide for itself how many mountains it wants flattened and how it wants to do that?

Yes, that was very telling. The guy claimed that the flattened, reclaimed land created with mountaintop removal sells at $1million/acre! because of the distinct lack of naturally flat land in the area.

It should be as you said: up to the locals. Not some fake "environmentalists" riding subways in NYC or sitting on congested freeways in cali.

TheDriver
08-15-2010, 10:05 AM

Hemp is a gateway drug too according to Jack.

Cops can't tell the difference between Hemp and Mary Jane, so if we legalize growing hemp, it's a gateway to growing Mary Jane, which is a gateway to cooking meth and smoking rocks.

Bad.

Adrock
08-15-2010, 10:18 AM

A few people may be concerned about that, but not as many that are concerned about their local coal economy. Win for Rand for speaking to the issues that matter to the people.

rich34
08-15-2010, 10:48 AM

I'm not from KY, but am from WV which has many things in common with eastern Kentucky. Your silly comments on this issue shows your lack of understanding for the way of life in the coal fields of Kentucky and WV. These issues should be local issues and seeing your from NC I don't think it ought to be bothering you much. Most of the protesters that show up protesting coal mines are from out of state and most of the time are very rarely locals, and if any, few. I reckon I'm just trying to say I don't care much for your comments even though I respect your right to your opinion..

specsaregood
08-15-2010, 10:54 AM
I reckon I'm just trying to say I don't care much for your comments even though I respect your right to your opinion..

Also notice how he demeaned the argument by likening the tradeoff of mountains for a tv. "I want my plasma TV now!"
When for the workers there it very well could be: "I want to be able to feed my family.", but he automatically equates it with the desire for a tv.