PDA

View Full Version : Judge Napolitano: our 2012 VP nominee?

RPgrassrootsactivist
08-14-2010, 02:45 PM
Ron's popularity steadily continues to grow, but most people still either don't know enough about him or aren't convinced that he is a viable candidate for 2012.

Granted, if Ron chooses not to run then this won't really matter as far as 2012 is concerned. But I think Ron likely will run, and I hope that he runs with the full intention of trying to win, because it can be done.

At http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=253691 I posted suggesting that people write a letter to Ron encouraging him to run in 2012 and to really run to win. In that post I mentioned that Ron should run from the very beginning with Judge Napolitano as his running mate.

We need to convince the Judge to be open to this idea. Having the Judge on Ron's ticket from the very time Ron announces will provide a major boost to Ron's poll numbers, and it will get a lot of typical Republican FOX News viewers (i.e., Romney/Palin/Huckabee fans who see the Judge on TV on a fairly regular basis) to start looking at Ron as a serious candidate.

I'm glad that Freedom Watch is doing so well, but we don't want the Judge to be locked into a contract that he can't get out of if he and Ron want to run together. Whatever happens with Freedom Watch, the Judge needs to keep the option on the table of running with Ron in 2012.

So I encourage people to write the Judge and ask him to seriously consider running with Ron in 2012, and to consider all of the benefits that his presence on the ticket will confer (especially in the primary).

Judge Andrew Napolitano
c/o FOX News Channel
1211 Avenue of the Americas, 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10036

Of course, there's no guarantee that if Ron did run he would necessarily choose Napolitano as his running mate, but it would be an unwise strategic decision not to do so. Ron and the Judge are friends and the Judge brings a lot of important qualities to the race: his name recognition, his tea party status, his media prominence, his excellent speech and debate skills, his intellectual qualifications, etc.

So consider writing a letter to the Judge. Paul/Napolitano 2012!

UPDATE: Yes, I know that running mates aren't technically chosen until after someone wins the nomination. My point is that I don't think it violates federal election law or RNC bylaws for someone to state during the nominating process that if they win, they will choose a specific person as their VP nominee. So long as he is legally allowed to do so, Ron should announce with the Judge from the beginning, which will give him an immense advantage in actually getting the nomination.

Kludge
08-14-2010, 02:47 PM
At least, it'd be interesting to see how FNC covers their campaign.

RPgrassrootsactivist
08-14-2010, 02:53 PM
At least, it'd be interesting to see how FNC covers their campaign.

That's another huge benefit: having the Judge running alongside Ron in the primary will insulate Ron from a lot of attacks that would otherwise be launched by Hannity/Beck/O'Reilly and the rest of the FNC crew. They will be much less likely to attack Ron, because to do so would be like an attack on the Judge.

Jeremy
08-14-2010, 03:09 PM
Running mates are picked after the primary.

low preference guy
08-14-2010, 03:23 PM
I'd be sure to read the OP after Ron Paul wins the primary.

AlexMerced
08-14-2010, 03:25 PM
As I've been saying, no matter who wins the RNC nomination, Nikki Haley from South Carolina is the VP pick to beat

She has conservative support in the Conservative stronghold of South Carolina
+
She's a Minoirty and a Woman, and as much as that shouldn't matter, from a pure realistic look at political strategery, she's at the top of my short list which also include Chris Christie, Gary Johnson

If Ron Paul were to win the Nod, a govenor MUST be the VP pick, someone with executive experience must be on the ticket.

RPgrassrootsactivist
08-14-2010, 03:26 PM

I'd be sure to read the OP after Ron Paul wins the primary.

You're missing my point. As far as I know, there is no federal election law or RNC bylaw that says someone can't announce a theoretical running mate before winning the nomination; if anybody knows of one, please mention it.

The entire point of this post is to state that if Ron announces the Judge as his pick for VP from the start, and they campaign together, it will be immensely helpful in Ron winning the nomination.

Jeremy
08-14-2010, 03:28 PM
You're missing my point. As far as I know, there is no federal election law or RNC bylaw that says someone can't announce a theoretical running mate before winning the nomination; if anybody knows of one, please mention it.

The entire point of this post is to state that if Ron announces the Judge as his pick for VP from the start, and they campaign together, it will be immensely helpful in Ron winning the nomination.

So you're saying the Judge should quit his job so he can run on a losing ticket?

RPgrassrootsactivist
08-14-2010, 03:31 PM
So you're saying the Judge should quit his job so he can run on a losing ticket?

I didn't say he should quit his job. Ron will likely stay in Congress during the 2012 campaign just like he did in 2008, and I expect that the Judge would stay on at FOX.

Also, you're completely wrong if you think Ron doesn't have a chance in 2012. Read the posts from Doug Wead that I link to at http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=253691 for some discussion.

AlexMerced
08-14-2010, 04:24 PM
You can pick a VP before the primary is over, it's been done before, can't remember who.

The thing is, it's traditionally done after the primary cause they want to pick a VP who complements voter groups who the nominee may not appeal to, and also it is a easy "lots of press" event you can use when needed during the general election campaigning.

It'd be wasting a useful PR event too early in the game, plus Judge Nap pretty much appeals to the exact same people RP does and add nothing stategically to the ticket.

I mean I love the idea in prinicple... but RP would have to play his cards very carefully, and make sure to keep his aces up his sleeve

Plus, he'd be much more useful as Attorney General

Imperial
08-14-2010, 05:12 PM
Not a good idea. Saving the VP candidate as an ace up your sleeve gives you a polling boost later down the road.

Besides that, recruiting judge nap won't be a huge boost in polling numbers. Those who really like Judge Nap probably also really like Dr. Paul. For a VP candidate, it has to attempt to do all of the below.

1) Round out your resume
2) Rally your base
3) Appeal to constituencies you are having trouble with.

Sarah Palin did two of these things. First, it rallied Republicans and prevented Barr from getting widespread conservative support. Second, it gave McCain the ability to call himself an outsider with a newly elected governor (rounding out his resume).

For Dr. Paul, I think he could rally the establishment to his candidacy and get some good executive experience on the ticket with Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels. Of course, none of that would happen until after he secured the nomination.

@AlexMerced, Nikki Haley is another good idea. The only difference between Haley and Daniels is that I know for a fact Newt Gingrich has encouraged Daniels to run for President, despite the fact that Daniels leans pretty heavily libertarian. He would be a great way to patch up relations with the party while still not alienating the left.

BlackSand
08-14-2010, 05:22 PM
It's kind of fun thinking about who Ron Pauls VP and cabinet will be. It reminds of when I was 10, and me and my friends would debate about what the best Pokemon team would be.

I like Judge where he is though. I'd rather him stay.

RPgrassrootsactivist
08-14-2010, 05:43 PM
You can pick a VP before the primary is over, it's been done before, can't remember who.

The thing is, it's traditionally done after the primary cause they want to pick a VP who complements voter groups who the nominee may not appeal to, and also it is a easy "lots of press" event you can use when needed during the general election campaigning.

It'd be wasting a useful PR event too early in the game, plus Judge Nap pretty much appeals to the exact same people RP does and add nothing stategically to the ticket.

I mean I love the idea in prinicple... but RP would have to play his cards very carefully, and make sure to keep his aces up his sleeve

Not a good idea. Saving the VP candidate as an ace up your sleeve gives you a polling boost later down the road.

Besides that, recruiting judge nap won't be a huge boost in polling numbers. Those who really like Judge Nap probably also really like Dr. Paul. For a VP candidate, it has to attempt to do all of the below.

1) Round out your resume
2) Rally your base
3) Appeal to constituencies you are having trouble with.

Sarah Palin did two of these things. First, it rallied Republicans and prevented Barr from getting widespread conservative support. Second, it gave McCain the ability to call himself an outsider with a newly elected governor (rounding out his resume).

For Dr. Paul, I think he could rally the establishment to his candidacy and get some good executive experience on the ticket with Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels. Of course, none of that would happen until after he secured the nomination.

@AlexMerced, Nikki Haley is another good idea. The only difference between Haley and Daniels is that I know for a fact Newt Gingrich has encouraged Daniels to run for President, despite the fact that Daniels leans pretty heavily libertarian. He would be a great way to patch up relations with the party while still not alienating the left.

I believe you're both mistaken in saying that the Judge wouldn't bring in any additional support. Most people who support Ron do support the Judge, but that does not not mean that most people who like the Judge also like Ron. For example, many of Glenn Beck's fans like the Judge, but they are not Ron Paul Republicans; they are mostly more mainstream Republicans and are likely to back Palin, Romney, etc.

The Judge is on FOX News all the time. He's a frequent guest on O'Reilly, Hannity, etc., who don't like Ron and whose audiences also mostly don't like Ron. But the Judge is immensely respected by FOX News viewers. If you put his name next to Ron's, suddenly Ron will gain a massive amount of credibility in the eyes of the typical FOX viewer simply by association with the Judge. Keep in mind, as well, that the Judge does complement Ron due to the fact that the Judge is a constitutional scholar who will be able to give credible historical reinforcement to Ron's positions. Also, the Judge's presence will act as a shield to keep O'Reilly, Hannity, Beck and FOX executives from trying to sabotage Ron.

My concern is not the general election. It won't be a landslide, but Ron will likely be able to beat Obama in 2012. Ron has a lot more independent support than Obama. Republicans + independents who support Ron will yield a victory for Ron in the general election.

Ron would be better served using the VP boost in the primary as opposed to the general election, because the primary will be our main battle in 2012. If we win the primary, Ron can win the general election.

speciallyblend
08-14-2010, 05:49 PM

if the gop establishment picks Ron Pauls running mate! then you can count me not voting Ron Paul. If Ron Paul is truly picking his VP. Then he will have my vote! I am just not buying the gop establishment BS!! Period!!!

Austrian Econ Disciple
08-14-2010, 05:52 PM
As much as you guys may not want to realize this, but Ron's VP must be as close to his philosophical positions as possible. If Ron wins he will have the biggest bulls-eye on his chest in the last 140 years. Ron must nominate someone who will lead to the goals he advocates, or else even if he wins it'll be a loss because they will have him assassinated. :(

Imperial
08-14-2010, 06:01 PM
The Judge is on FOX News all the time. He's a frequent guest on O'Reilly, Hannity, etc., who don't like Ron and whose audiences also mostly don't like Ron. But the Judge is immensely respected by FOX News viewers. If you put his name next to Ron's, suddenly Ron will gain a massive amount of credibility in the eyes of the typical FOX viewer simply by association with the Judge. Keep in mind, as well, that the Judge does complement Ron due to the fact that the Judge is a constitutional scholar who will be able to give credible historical reinforcement to Ron's positions. Also, the Judge's presence will act as a shield to keep O'Reilly, Hannity, Beck and FOX executives from trying to sabotage Ron.

First, Judge as a constitutional scholar complimenting Ron is redundant. Everyone knows Paul is Dr. No, voting with the Consitution all the time. So that is just rebuilding the wheel.

So that leaves two claims: a) Fox viewers will like it and b) Fox hosts will respect it.

a) "massive amount of credibility" is hard to judge. Sure, people see the Judge on Fox. But unless they all watch FreedomWatch on FBN I don't think that this will be a massive rallying of the base. One FNC contributor ran for Congress in a Republican primary this year and lost epically in third place. Unless they are a huge name like Beck, Hannity, or O'Reilly, I don't see this making a huge wave in that regard.

b) This is probably the best argument for it. But I see it easily side-stepped with, "I really like Judge Napolitano, but Ron Paul himself is [insert X criticism here].

Ron would be better served using the VP boost in the primary as opposed to the general election, because the primary will be our main battle in 2012. If we win the primary, Ron can win the general election.

That isn't necessarily true. For starters, you are discounting the potential of a 3rd party run by a GOP standard-bearer.

Second, Ron Paul has a history of some statements that will definitely be controversial, whether it is Lincoln or the newsletters. Obama will easily consolidate the vote of the left, but if Obama can cast Dr. Paul as radical (for example, on foreign policy) he may be in a tight spot. If you haven't noticed the polls, Obama is generally competitive with every contender, with Romney the only one who has an edge at the moment over the President.

Finally, lets assume that the masses in the GOP come to Paul's support. Do you think we can win an election without the support of the party apparatus and its fundraising engine? Some figures in the party really don't like Dr. Paul, and they could easily close their coffers to him. Judge Nap wouldn't provide that much of a help in this regard, in comparison to somebody like Mitch Daniels.

The worst situation, worse than losing a close-fought primary, would be to win the nomination and then have one of the worst showings in history for a GOP candidate.

low preference guy
08-14-2010, 06:02 PM
As much as you guys may not want to realize this, but Ron's VP must be as close to his philosophical positions as possible. If Ron wins he will have the biggest bulls-eye on his chest in the last 140 years. Ron must nominate someone who will lead to the goals he advocates, or else even if he wins it'll be a loss because they will have him assassinated. :(

Much of this is true. Putting a VP different from Ron Paul will greatly increase the odds of getting him killed.

I think potential VPs should agree with Ron Paul at least as much as Gary Johnson or Walter Williams do.

Imperial
08-14-2010, 06:07 PM

Both Nikki Haley and Mitch Daniels have much in common with the libertarian movement.

Daniels was the one who promoted a "truce" on social issues, has really helped make Indiana efficient like Johnson did in New Mexico, and is a reader of lots of libertarian thinkers like Hazlitt.

I think Merced might be able to make the case for Haley better, but I have had a favorable impression of her.

cindy25
08-14-2010, 09:05 PM

not always. Reagan in 1976 picked Sen. Richard Schweiker, R-PA during the primaries

specsaregood
08-14-2010, 09:05 PM
Ron must nominate someone who will lead to the goals he advocates, or else even if he wins it'll be a loss because they will have him assassinated. :(

could we have just one theoretical thread dreaming of a Dr. Paul presidency that doesn't get interrupted with the nightmare of an assassination? I mean we are just fantasizing here.....I know my fantasies don't tend to end in the loss of life.

low preference guy
08-14-2010, 09:08 PM
could we have just one theoretical thread dreaming of a Dr. Paul presidency that doesn't get interrupted with the nightmare of an assassination? I mean we are just fantasizing here.....I know my fantasies don't tend to end in the loss of life.

I think we can have the fantasy imagining choices that are close philosophically to Dr. Paul. Because those choices don't produce such a high likelihood for assassination.

RPgrassrootsactivist
08-14-2010, 11:29 PM
First, Judge as a constitutional scholar complimenting Ron is redundant. Everyone knows Paul is Dr. No, voting with the Consitution all the time. So that is just rebuilding the wheel.

People like us know that Ron is the most Constitution-based candidate, but the typical voter doesn't. Many Republicans still believe in a nationalist theory of government that thinks Congress can legislate over all kinds of domestic issues, and that undeclared wars and warrantless surveillance are constitutional. Most Democrats are even worse, believing virtually anything the federal government does is constitutional. The Judge's intellectual credentials can help to demolish those arguments.

So that leaves two claims: a) Fox viewers will like it and b) Fox hosts will respect it.

a) "massive amount of credibility" is hard to judge. Sure, people see the Judge on Fox. But unless they all watch FreedomWatch on FBN I don't think that this will be a massive rallying of the base. One FNC contributor ran for Congress in a Republican primary this year and lost epically in third place. Unless they are a huge name like Beck, Hannity, or O'Reilly, I don't see this making a huge wave in that regard.

The Judge is more than just a contributor; he's the senior judicial analyst and he's on TV all the time. He is basically FOX's chief expert on the Constitution and law; this will play in to the tea party crowd.

The Judge is not only brought on to discuss issues on the major shows, he also guest hosts Glenn Beck's show frequently and speaks at events hosted by Glenn Beck. The Glenn Beck crowd loves him, and Glenn has (sadly) emerged as the media leader of the tea party movement; this can work to the Judge's advantage. Because Glenn claims to be the Judge's friend, if the Judge ran with Ron then Glenn might actually be pressured into even endorsing the ticket.

Winning the media war at FOX is no small matter, seeing as FOX is by far the dominant news source for Republicans.

b) This is probably the best argument for it. But I see it easily side-stepped with, "I really like Judge Napolitano, but Ron Paul himself is [insert X criticism here].

There will always be detractors; we can't solve every potential problem. But what I'm saying is it will be a major benefit overall.

That isn't necessarily true. For starters, you are discounting the potential of a 3rd party run by a GOP standard-bearer.

That may be the case, but I don't think it's likely. The media keeps drumming up the fear of Ron being the one to run third party; I don't think Palin, for example, is going to run third party. If I recall, some states like Texas won't even let someone on the ballot if they run in a major party, lose the nomination and then try to run third party. So this would only seem to be a serious problem if major candidate ran third party or independent from the start, which I don't see Palin (being the person most likely to do such a thing) going through with.

Furthermore, I think if the Judge is running with Ron, and they announce before anyone else announces, it may ward off Palin all-together. I don't think Palin wants to oppose the Judge.

Second, Ron Paul has a history of some statements that will definitely be controversial, whether it is Lincoln or the newsletters. Obama will easily consolidate the vote of the left, but if Obama can cast Dr. Paul as radical (for example, on foreign policy) he may be in a tight spot. If you haven't noticed the polls, Obama is generally competitive with every contender, with Romney the only one who has an edge at the moment over the President.

Of course the newsletter controversy will be brought up; that can be counted on for certain, but I don't think it will be enough to seriously damage Ron's campaign in the long run.

As for Lincoln, the Judge outright condemns him, too. When faced with the clear history of Lincoln's tyranny (which most Americans have probably never even heard), I don't see this becoming a major problem.

Seeing Ron next to Obama will paint a clear picture.

Obama: the corporatist, anti-Constitution banker shill.
Ron: the modern Thomas Jefferson.

Also, Ron may actually win over a fairly significant number of anti-war liberals who are tired of Obama's warmongering.

Finally, lets assume that the masses in the GOP come to Paul's support. Do you think we can win an election without the support of the party apparatus and its fundraising engine? Some figures in the party really don't like Dr. Paul, and they could easily close their coffers to him. Judge Nap wouldn't provide that much of a help in this regard, in comparison to somebody like Mitch Daniels.

For a lot (if not most) of the GOP establishment, what they really want is to win and hold power. If they think supporting Ron will help them to defeat Obama, they'll probably support Ron, even if they don't like him.

Plus, if the election is Ron v. Obama then I think money won't play as crucial a role, because for the first time since Goldwater v. LBJ we will actually have two candidates who are truly different, and not just two globalists who agree on the fundamentals but are pretending to be different. People will clearly see the differences between Ron and Obama.

Nominating a VP candidate from outside the Ron Paul movement simply won't work.

RPgrassrootsactivist
08-15-2010, 02:07 PM
Judge Nap for POTUS

We could have Paul/Napolitano in 2012. Then, Ron may retire after one term, and we'd have Napolitano in 2016 and 2020. Or, if Ron wanted to run again in 2016, then we'd have Napolitano in 2020 and 2024.

teamrican1
08-15-2010, 02:24 PM
If the Judge were to quit his job and run for public office, I don't see why it would be for anything less than President. Napolitano as Paul's running mate makes no sense. Every current Ron Paul supporter would enthusiastically support the judge with the same enthusiasm we support Paul. Unlike Ron, the judge doesn't have the baggage four decades in the libertarian movement brings with it. And the judge blows Ron out of the water in terms of charisma and speaking ability. So if the Judge jumped in to this, why the heck would it be as VP?

jclay2
08-15-2010, 02:38 PM
Can you guys imagine seeing the Judge in a debate against all the handlers? It wouldn't be fair. He would destroy any opponent and make them seem like utter fools.

Captain America
08-15-2010, 02:57 PM
The Judge would be a great running mate!

thehunter
08-15-2010, 03:11 PM
This would particularly tick off the elitist liberals who imagined Barack Obama as some sort of politically correct philosopher king -- how do we draft the judge??

speciallyblend
08-15-2010, 04:06 PM
This would particularly tick off the elitist liberals who imagined Barack Obama as some sort of politically correct philosopher king -- how do we draft the judge??

straighten up the failed gop?:) or demand an indy run!!

Peace&Freedom
08-15-2010, 04:08 PM
If the Judge were to quit his job and run for public office, I don't see why it would be for anything less than President. Napolitano as Paul's running mate makes no sense. Every current Ron Paul supporter would enthusiastically support the judge with the same enthusiasm we support Paul. Unlike Ron, the judge doesn't have the baggage four decades in the libertarian movement brings with it. And the judge blows Ron out of the water in terms of charisma and speaking ability. So if the Judge jumped in to this, why the heck would it be as VP?

Picking a formidable running mate is always a good signal that the candidate is a high-minded thinker who wants an equal in the office of VP as a possible successor, not a quisling. Plus having at last captured the White House, constitutionalists and libertarians will demand a sound person to possibly continue the Revolution having the inside track, not a closet statist hack who will do a rerun of the Bush years and repudiate 90% of Paul's agenda once in office. I don't buy the "we need a Governor" or geographical pick, especially since our current Prez and VP were both Senators. We need to position the Paul and Tea Party movements to have a long stay in power, not a cup of coffee before establishment guys take it back over.

TortoiseDream
08-15-2010, 05:44 PM
VP pick? Maybe...

But an endorsement would definitely be huge for his FOX news audience.

LibertarianfromGermany
08-15-2010, 05:58 PM
My guess is Johnson as VP. It's pretty obvious I think that Ron IS going to run again, but he also endorsed Johnson as potential president candidate so I think they might be planning (or at least considering) something like Paul/Johnson. Those two have a lot of credibility as they have actually proven themselves to be men of their words already.

AlexMerced
08-15-2010, 09:02 PM
My guess is Johnson as VP. It's pretty obvious I think that Ron IS going to run again, but he also endorsed Johnson as potential president candidate so I think they might be planning (or at least considering) something like Paul/Johnson. Those two have a lot of credibility as they have actually proven themselves to be men of their words already.

As I've said time and time again, pulling in another straight up libertarian as his VP pick will hurt him in the general, Ron Paul already does well with Conservatives, Libertarians, and Independants

He needs someone who can either appeal a little to the left, one of the democrats RP is friend with Like Grayson or Kucinich (Kucinich would be very unlikely), or someone who can broader his appeal with women and minorities like Nikki Haley from SC who to me is the obvious pick.

RPgrassrootsactivist
08-15-2010, 09:16 PM
As I've said time and time again, pulling in another straight up libertarian as his VP pick will hurt him in the general, Ron Paul already does well with Conservatives, Libertarians, and Independants

He needs someone who can either appeal a little to the left, one of the democrats RP is friend with Like Grayson or Kucinich (Kucinich would be very unlikely), or someone who can broader his appeal with women and minorities like Nikki Haley from SC who to me is the obvious pick.

I don't think Ron would pick a moderate or liberal running mate, nor should he. We either need to win without compromising or else lose with honor.

Besides, modern presidential elections are almost always decided by independents, and as you said, Ron is already popular with independents. Our main concern has to be the primary, and that means winning over neocons; the Judge, with his fame on FOX, can help to accomplish this.

newbitech
08-15-2010, 09:23 PM
the official RonPaul.com poll on RP's next VP, posted August 8th

http://www.ronpaul.com/2010-08-08/poll-who-should-be-ron-pauls-vp-in-2012/

michaelwise
08-15-2010, 09:25 PM
Absolutely!

trey4sports
08-15-2010, 09:42 PM
i like the idea of Rand for VP, first and foremost Rand will pull the tea party crowd. A base which Ron hasn't been able to grab a large share of

RPgrassrootsactivist
08-15-2010, 09:54 PM
i like the idea of Rand for VP, first and foremost Rand will pull the tea party crowd. A base which Ron hasn't been able to grab a large share of

A Paul/Paul ticket would probably make too many people think it is the start of a Paul family political dynasty; I don't think that would go over well. Plus, it won't look good for Rand to try and jump offices that quickly.

trey4sports
08-15-2010, 10:01 PM
A Paul/Paul ticket would probably make too many people think it is the start of a Paul family political dynasty; I don't think that would go over well. Plus, it won't look good for Rand to try and jump offices that quickly.

yeah, in terms of votes i think it would be a good fit though. Think about it this way, Paul polls well with "liberal" republicans and independents. We need someone to help with the "neocon" vote. The average republican likes Palin, Rand, and others who are somewhat hawkish on FP (rand has run with a very moderate FP stance in Kentucky). I'd really like Palin to be his VP not because I really like her but because i think it would definitely secure the nomination!

RPgrassrootsactivist
08-16-2010, 01:33 PM
yeah, in terms of votes i think it would be a good fit though. Think about it this way, Paul polls well with "liberal" republicans and independents. We need someone to help with the "neocon" vote. The average republican likes Palin, Rand, and others who are somewhat hawkish on FP (rand has run with a very moderate FP stance in Kentucky). I'd really like Palin to be his VP not because I really like her but because i think it would definitely secure the nomination!

Palin as VP may secure the nomination, but it might sink Ron in the general. While many Republicans seem to like Palin, most Americans overall don't think she's qualified. Besides, Palin is definitely not one of us when it comes to ideology; we shouldn't want someone with neocon tendencies as Ron's VP.

The Judge, however, is one of us, and he can really help to secure the support of the typical Republican FOX News viewer.

speciallyblend
08-16-2010, 01:36 PM
i am very interested in the judge as a vp to Ron Paul!

Slutter McGee
08-16-2010, 01:45 PM
Have to say I am with Alex Merced on this one. Id rather win with a VP candidate who is not as good as Paul, than loose with someone who is his clone.

That isn't to say that there are not good choices though. Haley, Christie, and Walter Williams could all be pretty good candidates and would help bridge any divide in the party, and I would support all of them....provided they aren't war hawks. They don't have to be non-interventionists to the degree of the good Doctor though. And all three are fiscally conservative.

I know it is way to early to debate such a thing, but a little day dreaming never hurt.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

South Park Fan
08-16-2010, 02:01 PM
I'd prefer Attorney General or Supreme Court Justice for Judge Nap.

yokna7
08-16-2010, 02:21 PM
I would love it, but his affiliations would be too divisive. Not a smart pick, you have to play the game.

yokna7
08-16-2010, 02:23 PM
Maybe Walter E. as a vp pick. We love him and he has......let's say certain ethnic qualities that can be inviting for a certain demographic. Just sayin!!

The Dude
08-16-2010, 02:32 PM
I would have serious doubts about voting for Ron if he picked Palin as his VP. That would show a total lack of judgement. Even though I love Ron to death, if something happened to him, I could not forgive myself for letting Palin be the VP.

RPgrassrootsactivist
08-29-2010, 04:38 PM
I would love it, but his affiliations would be too divisive. Not a smart pick, you have to play the game.

The Judge has significant influence in the Beck/Palin wing of the tea party. Having the Judge run with Ron would not only provide multiple positive benefits to Ron during the primary, it would also likely diminish Palin.

My main concern is the primary. If Ron wins the nomination, I believe he will be able to defeat Obama in the general. Ron was in a statistical tie with Obama as of April: http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2012/election_2012_barack_obama_42_ron_paul_41

Also, I believe that Ron is more popular with independents than Obama.

As 2008 demonstrated, Ron's biggest challenge is overcoming the GOP machine. The Judge would be a major asset in doing so.

RPgrassrootsactivist
08-30-2010, 11:50 AM
Have to say I am with Alex Merced on this one. Id rather win with a VP candidate who is not as good as Paul, than loose with someone who is his clone.

That isn't to say that there are not good choices though. Haley, Christie, and Walter Williams could all be pretty good candidates and would help bridge any divide in the party, and I would support all of them....provided they aren't war hawks. They don't have to be non-interventionists to the degree of the good Doctor though. And all three are fiscally conservative.

I know it is way to early to debate such a thing, but a little day dreaming never hurt.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Chris Christie is a former high-ranking DOJ official under George Bush; he may be good on economics, but I don't trust him on much else. Haley seems better than many Republicans, but still not even close to Ron. Walter Williams is great but I don't think he has enough name recognition. Overall, the Judge remains the best choice.