PDA

View Full Version : Three Jacksonville Children Buy Tickets, Board Flight to Nashville

Anti Federalist
08-14-2010, 09:58 AM
TSA my aching ass.

No IDs, no nothing, just walk onboard.

Of course, that's the way it should be.

Three Jacksonville Children Buy Tickets, Board Flight to Nashville

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/topstories/news-article.aspx?storyid=163061&catid=3

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Three youngsters with money wondered what to do. How 'bout a trip to Nashville?

None of the three has a driver's license, so they flew.

"I just wanted to fly," said 15-year-old Bridget Brown. "I had the money."

Brown saved $700 from babysitting and asked a friend if he wanted to fly anywhere.

The friend, 13-year-old Bobby Nolan III, said Nashville. The two of them, along with Brown's 11-year-old brother, took a cab to the airport.

Once at the Southwest counter, it was three tickets to Nashville, please.

"He said ok and told us how much it would be and then we paid him," Brown said. "Then he put the flight things on our bags and then he said you better run because you might miss your flight."

Next, security.

"We just took our stuff out of our pockets, took our shoes off and walked through it and they didn't say nothing," Nolan said.

Did they ask for IDs?

"No."

Did anybody ask for IDs?

"[No]. Everybody else had IDs. But we didn't," Nolan said.

So they flew to Nashville.

There were no adults with them, and none of their parents even knew they were going. It all happened in one day.

At dinner time, the boy's parents called his cell, thinking he was at a friend's house.

The call went straight to voicemail.

Later that evening, Bobby called his parents.

"He said, we're in Nashville. I'm ready to come home," said his dad, Bobby Nolan, Jr.

About $700 later, they flew back home the same way.

Everyone is safe, but how did they manage to get on the flight?

According to Southwest Airlines, they didn't sneak by anything.

An 11-year-old is allowed to fly with anyone 12 or older, according to their policy, and doesn't have to pay a fee for being an unaccompanied minor.

They didn't get to sit together, though, since they bought the tickets so near departure time.

TSA has responded that "Our mission is to make sure no one gets on a plane that is a threat to national security."

Parents of the tree children said JSO was slow to respond to their calls for help after realizing they were missing.

"I told them that my son got in a cab. The cab won't tell us where they took him. They put it down as a non-emergency dispute with a cab driver," said Robert Nolan.

That non-emergency dispute claim is backed up by police reports that show a 911 call from the family was placed at 7 o'clock Tuesday evening stating three kids were spotted leaving in a taxi cab without permission. An officer didn't show up until 8:29.

"The only way we got him here in the time we did is because we knew a police officer that knew him, called him to say look, our kids are gone," said Nolan.

The responding officer noted in his report that he was advised by another officer that the call was not a non-emergency dispute as originally thought, but in fact, a missing person case.

"To me, that's not a non-emergency. That's kids who are with who knows who with these cab drivers," said Nolan.

By the time Jacksonville authorities arrived, the family had already heard from the kids about their impromptu trip and location.

"We ended up calling Nashville Police, seeing if they can get a hold of them, hold them or do whatever they need to do so we can get there and figure out what we need to do," said Nolan.

First Coast News attempted to get JSO's side on the possible mixup of emergency versus non-emergency and the response time.

They said they're looking into it and can't comment until hearing those calls placed to 911.

james1906
08-14-2010, 10:01 AM
We need REAL IDs from the time of birth.

Danke
08-14-2010, 10:03 AM
We need REAL IDs from the time of birth.

Implanted.

free1
08-14-2010, 10:14 AM
Implanted.

I agree. The government should mark it's property from day one!

james1906
08-14-2010, 10:22 AM
It's also nice to see a kid work, save money, and buy a trip for her friend and brother. Much better than playing video games all day. This self-motivated, independent thinking is not what the government needs. This girl is a terrorist.

Anti Federalist
08-14-2010, 10:35 AM
It's also nice to see a kid work, save money, and buy a trip for her friend and brother. Much better than playing video games all day. This self-motivated, independent thinking is not what the government needs. This girl is a terrorist.

Yeah that ^^^

Somehow or another, these kids will end up with some kind of "record" for this.

Brian4Liberty
08-14-2010, 11:35 AM
These kids were not old enough to enter into a contract. Where's Melissa? ;)

james1906
08-14-2010, 11:36 AM
These kids were not old enough to enter into a contract. Where's Melissa? ;)

So kids aren't allowed to purchase anything?

specsaregood
08-14-2010, 11:42 AM
I wonder what they did in nashville.

BuddyRey
08-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Good for them! I wish I'd have had the stones to go flying around the country without my parents at their age.