PDA

View Full Version : Obama Comes Out in Favor of Allowing Mosque Near Ground Zero

JackieDan
08-14-2010, 06:17 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/08/13/obama-backs-mosque-near-ground-zero/

Your opinion?

speciallyblend
08-14-2010, 06:22 AM
this story should be called the stupid story of the yr
(fox wins award for stupidity!!!!) based on lies and mis-info and this story is based on nothing but right-wing fear and stupidity! typical nazi(failed gop/fox) propaganda

jmdrake
08-14-2010, 06:26 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/08/13/obama-backs-mosque-near-ground-zero/

Your opinion?

A broken clock is right twice a day.

cindy25
08-14-2010, 06:35 AM
Obama is right on this one.

wonder if its meant to send a subtle message to Israel regarding Iran?

Kludge
08-14-2010, 06:38 AM
This shouldn't even be in the news.

Nor should it be if a gay bar were built right next to the mosque as was suggested on FNC's Redeye.

j6p
08-14-2010, 07:31 AM
Really RPF is it going to be any diffrent when the repulicrats get back into power, this is the kind of crap the necon republicans focous on. BTW i agree with Obama on this one, it's not like his other policys are good.

ChaosControl
08-14-2010, 07:33 AM
I think that it doesn't matter what his opinion is since he should have no say as it is up to the community the place is being built and no where else.

j6p
08-14-2010, 07:47 AM
But even if the community had an opinion, it should be able to do what they want on that land, just because someone has opinion good or bad doesn't really mean much, because it's not theres to juge. Churches property, no matter what.

amy31416
08-14-2010, 07:53 AM
Too bad he makes the right calls on some superficial bullshit, rather than the important stuff.

Aratus
08-14-2010, 11:55 AM
sarah palin has said a mosque is bad idea, thusly potus barack obama by waiting & then assessing
the situation in full now has a 5 to 10 to 15 minute segment of time blockbooked in 2012 as he
tries to get us all to let him keep his day job? i think he expects either sarah palin or mitt romney
to face him then, and he wants a binary sequence of cut and dried issues that basically aren't
for any future debates he will be having. he KNOWs sarah palin intruded into this great debate.
he feels this leaves him open to take a more constitutional moral high ground as we debate
our security apparatus in full and the way we defend our shores and our civil liberties. what
perhaps should have been a deeper question about a historic old building has beome a vitriol
fueled question at times. is the debate about our religious freedoms to see the damned of gitmo
at least getting some of their lives back in the next two years or are our hysterical politics as usual
that are a BUSH ADMINISTRATION holdover to be the backdrop for this debate as "divine sarah"
and "benign barack" pull a classic ackroyd/curtin point~counterpoint in front of us all as a nation?

LibertyEagle
08-14-2010, 11:59 AM
I agree that the government has no place dictating this. However, that does not mean I have to like the outcome. And I don't.

Aratus
08-14-2010, 12:03 PM
why did people not ask the people who want a mosque somewhere in the old building to
keep the integrity of the original achitecture ongoing as they then plan around it? why take
down history as one desires a basic freedom of worship that is our john locke right and due?
freedom of worship is not a privilige, its a fundamental right, and some religious epithanies
are more of the mind and spirit and not as driven by the external or the way of adornment.
intrinsically the intent was a cultural center that respects islam and mecca. the old building
could have both sufficed and accommodated one and all... city, neighborhood and community.
the 21st century has stridently knocked down the 1800s to the dustbin of tyme once more, again.

Rael
08-14-2010, 12:06 PM
Religion is stupid.

Watching Christians and Muslims fight it out is like watching two teams from some idiotic sport playing a game.

That said, Obama is also stupid for wading into this. He's always putting his foot in his mouth and this will be used against him, especially by those who think he is a closet Muslim.

yokna7
08-14-2010, 12:06 PM
Too bad he makes the right calls on some superficial bullshit, rather than the important stuff.

Yes, exactly. Let's look away from the wars and the deficit spending.

BlackTerrel
08-14-2010, 12:55 PM
Of course he's right. What was he supposed to say "freedom of religion and property rights apply to everyone but Muslims"?

koft
08-14-2010, 12:59 PM
Religion is stupid.

Watching Christians and Muslims fight it out is like watching two teams from some idiotic sport playing a game.

That said, Obama is also stupid for wading into this. He's always putting his foot in his mouth and this will be used against him, especially by those who think he is a closet Muslim.

Yup, but it won't matter though.

LibertyEagle
08-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Religion is stupid.

How quaint.

Bet you really hate that this country's Founders were largely Christians.

Golding
08-14-2010, 01:26 PM
This "issue" is a softball. It would have been a travesty for any president to get this one wrong.

kahless
08-14-2010, 01:33 PM
I am against the building of the Mosque by this group but do not want the government to do anything about it. You do not want to give the government that kind of power to stop such things.

I guarantee if this kind of precedent is set you will see the power misused for example to stop the building of churches near schools. They will claim the church preaches hate speech and thus harms children so therefore they will restrict where churches can be built.

Liberty4life
08-14-2010, 01:49 PM
I personally think considering all the issues he has come down on
AGAINST American values and traditions.

What I mean is why suddenly come out in favor of this saying they have
a right to religious freedom.

So in this case he gets to favor muslims and on the other he says
they have the right to religious freedom, ie the right
to build a mosque near ground zero.

How could he resist this open three pointer.

CurranH
08-14-2010, 02:03 PM
Though many might find a mosque at Ground Zero to be distasteful and perhaps even appalling, our opinions are irrelevant in a society whose cornerstone is the rule of law.

The Constitution guarantees individuals the right to free speech and freedom of religion in the First Amendment. Furthermore, the sanctity of private property is inherent in the Constitution. In a free society, individuals have the right to exercise their religion and use their property as they see fit, regardless of whether or not others may view it as tasteful or appropriate. Furthermore, fourteenth amendment guarantees "equal protection of the laws," which especially applies to unpopular speech and religious exercise, exemplified in the strict scrutiny given to such cases by the Supreme Court.

Consistent believers in the free speech and private property must recognize the rights of those seeking to build this facility in New York City.

jake
08-14-2010, 02:04 PM
its stupid the president is even commenting on such a petty issue imo.

Mini-Me
08-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Though many might find a mosque at Ground Zero to be distasteful and perhaps even appalling, our opinions are irrelevant in a society whose cornerstone is the rule of law.

The Constitution guarantees individuals the right to free speech and freedom of religion in the First Amendment. Furthermore, the sanctity of private property is inherent in the Constitution. In a free society, individuals have the right to exercise their religion and use their property as they see fit, regardless of whether or not others may view it as tasteful or appropriate. Furthermore, fourteenth amendment guarantees "equal protection of the laws," which especially applies to unpopular speech and religious exercise, exemplified in the strict scrutiny given to such cases by the Supreme Court.

Consistent believers in the free speech and private property must recognize the rights of those seeking to build this facility in New York City.

Exactly. The door swings both ways, and freedom sometimes (often) means putting up with people exercising their own in a way you don't like.

Do I want a mosque at Ground Zero? Do I own the site, and is it really any of my business?

sharpsteve2003
08-14-2010, 02:07 PM
It does not matter what anyone thinks about this. One thing matters. Maybe why it's #1:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Lucille
08-14-2010, 02:25 PM
The neoclowns are giving Bin Laden everything he wanted (http://www.theagitator.com/2009/12/02/in-which-the-terrorists-win/). A holy war (and more recruits for his cause), Americans living in a constant state of fear who willingly trade Essential Liberty for the illusion of safety, and US bankruptcy (http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/11/01/binladen.tape/).

Vessol
08-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Obama is supporting it for the wrong reason.

The reason I agree with it's building is that I believe in property rights. Freedom of religion stems from being able to build whatever you want on your land and do whatever you want on it.

VBRonPaulFan
08-14-2010, 02:48 PM
probably the only thing in his entire presidency so far that i've agreed with

RonPaulwillWin
08-14-2010, 03:03 PM
This shouldn't even be in the news.

Nor should it be if a gay bar were built right next to the mosque as was suggested on FNC's Redeye.

your AV is golden

Rael
08-14-2010, 03:08 PM
How quaint.

Bet you really hate that this country's Founders were largely Christians.

Slave owners too.

The founding fathers were not perfect in case you had not noticed.

Golding
08-14-2010, 04:22 PM
http://i.imgur.com/TacgJ.jpg

BlackTerrel
08-14-2010, 05:03 PM
I personally think considering all the issues he has come down on
AGAINST American values and traditions.

What I mean is why suddenly come out in favor of this saying they have
a right to religious freedom.

So in this case he gets to favor muslims and on the other he says
they have the right to religious freedom, ie the right
to build a mosque near ground zero.

How could he resist this open three pointer.

He didn't favor Muslims. He just said they have the same rights as all other Americans.

As far as the timing he was speaking to a group of Muslims at a Ramadan dinner he was hosting. It was bound to come up.

Liberty Star
08-14-2010, 05:11 PM
this story should be called the stupid story of the yr
(fox wins award for stupidity!!!!) based on lies and mis-info and this story is based on nothing but right-wing fear and stupidity! typical nazi(failed gop/fox) propaganda

Not all "right-winger", many conservative on Right support constitutional freedoms, many left neocons oppose it.

Obama made the right call on this. Palin and Newts are just horrible demagogues.

Che
08-14-2010, 06:13 PM
I guarantee, Hands down, there will be numerous hardcore dumbs that will bring up some nonsensical bullshit that he's a muslim that's why he favoring this proposal.

BlackTerrel
08-14-2010, 08:00 PM
I guarantee, Hands down, there will be numerous hardcore dumbs that will bring up some nonsensical bullshit that he's a muslim that's why he favoring this proposal.

Unfortunately you will be right.

speciallyblend
08-14-2010, 08:17 PM
Not all "right-winger", many conservative on Right support constitutional freedoms, many left neocons oppose it.

Obama made the right call on this. Palin and Newts are just horrible demagogues.

i was saying the whole story in general;) just one big piece of crap story! this is a diversion story!!!

PreDeadMan
08-14-2010, 08:25 PM
I think all of the people who are making a gigantic fuss over this should pool their money together and try to buy the land from the people who want to build a mosque. Putting their... "money where their mouths are". Otherwise I think that the property rights issue stands and whatever emotional fuss people have doesn't overpower PROPERTY RIGHTS!

thehunter
08-14-2010, 08:27 PM
Obama and the other Democrats who are supporting the mosque aren't doing it out of any deep desire to see liberty win the day -- liberals will support specific social policies because the groups that are seeing them are also effective voting blocks. This is politics, pure and simple; I wouldn't even go as far as to say that it's the case of a broken clock!

specsaregood
08-14-2010, 08:56 PM
He didn't favor Muslims. He just said they have the same rights as all other Americans.

As far as the timing he was speaking to a group of Muslims at a Ramadan dinner he was hosting. It was bound to come up.

And now it appears (or being spun to appear) as if he is backing down. Saying he doesn't have an opinion on the actual project.

http://dailycaller.com/2010/08/14/obama-tries-to-limit-damage-from-statement-expressing-support-for-ground-zero-mosque/

“In this country, we treat everybody equally and in accordance with the law, regardless of race, regardless of religion. I was not commenting and I will not comment on the wisdom of making the decision to put a mosque there,” Obama told reporters accompanying him and first lady Michele Obama on a trip to the Gulf Coast.

“I was commenting very specifically on the right people have that dates back to our founding.”

Liberty4life
08-14-2010, 09:53 PM
He doesn't go to church but favors any muslim cause that pops up.

not a muslim?

are you guys blind?

YES he is a closet muslim, he grew up in a muslim country.
you really think he dropped that and converted to christianity?

hes trying to piss off every real american left in the country.

if we just take this sitting down they will bring out the bulldozers
and push us into the graves.

Kludge
08-14-2010, 09:56 PM

not a muslim?

are you guys blind?

If we allow a Muslim community center to be built multiple blocks away from where a terrorist attack took place, "they" will bulldoze us into graves.

... Okay - that seems reasonable.

cindy25
08-14-2010, 09:59 PM
its a message to bb not to bomb Iran.

amy31416
08-14-2010, 10:01 PM

are you guys blind?

they will bring out the bulldozers

Define what a "real" American is, please.

In regards to the bulldozers---ohhhhh yeah. I'mo git me one and push some shit....uhhh.....into graves and stuff.

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Killdozer.jpg

And yes, I am blind....don't fucking mess with my guide dog, asshole.

Liberty4life
08-14-2010, 10:27 PM
No I didn't mean because of that.
If you just sit around and not resist, you can be sure the power elites
have no problem piling anyone into a grave.

Have none of you learned from history?

How many times have tyrants throughout history
forced their will on a disbelieving populace.

Here this is happening right in front of our eyes but we still
poke each other in the eyes and say its not real.

Jack Bauer
08-14-2010, 10:31 PM

not a muslim?

are you guys blind?

Let's assume that he is indeed a muslim as you state.

So, what's your beef with that?

Should a muslim not be eligible to be the POTUS? How about atheists? Jews? Hindus? Buddhists?

I am really curious.

Liberty4life
08-14-2010, 10:35 PM
Let's assume that he is indeed a muslim as you state.

So, what's your beef with that?

Should a muslim not be eligible to be the POTUS? How about atheists? Jews? Hindus? Buddhists?

I am really curious.

I personally don't care if he is. The problem comes when it affects the rest of the
country which is predominately Christian.
Isn't the muslim world at war with Christianity? YES THEY ARE!!

Justinjj1
08-14-2010, 10:38 PM
I personally don't care if he is. The problem comes when it affects the rest of the

Yeah, it's the Muslim countries that have been invading Christian countries and killing millions. :rolleyes:

Liberty4life
08-14-2010, 10:40 PM
Yeah, it's the Muslim countries that have been invading Christian countries and killing millions. :rolleyes:

And sawing off heads for the world to see, not to mention stoning women
who get raped.

All this while hiding behind a mask.

Jack Bauer
08-14-2010, 10:40 PM

Their radical elements have been at war with every other belief that's not Islam since the beginning of Islam.

That didn't prevent "real Americans", predominantly Christian, to rub shoulders and make allies and favor trade and aid to Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Iran, Afghanistan, Kuwait, etc over the last century. Heck, they even supported those very radical elements of Islam, which hate Christianity.

Its just bloody hypocritical of these "real Americans".

Jack Bauer
08-14-2010, 10:42 PM
who get raped.

What's your point? So they are barbaric Neanderthals. Granted.

Does that mean we should go invade them, dump trillions of tax dollars and reform every last one of them until they all give up their ideas and start adopting our point of views?

That's ridiculous.

Justinjj1
08-14-2010, 10:46 PM
who get raped.

Well, the biggest group of torturing rapists are the "Christians" in the U.S. military who like to hide behind Apache helicopters while they slaughter innocent muslims.

Liberty4life
08-14-2010, 10:46 PM
Their radical elements have been at war with every other belief that's not Islam since the beginning of Islam.

That didn't prevent "real Americans", predominantly Christian, to rub shoulders and make allies and favor trade and aid to Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Iran, Afghanistan, Kuwait, etc over the last century. Heck, they even supported those very radical elements of Islam, which hate Christianity.

Its just bloody hypocritical of these "real Americans".

But mostly Christians, remember the crusades? thats where this started, Christians are
the only group large enough and brave enough to fight them.

Now heres where it gets tricky.

By real American I guess I was thinking the G.I. Joe song when I said that.
I actually believe there are some American heroes left

Not every American is heroic though, and not every businessman or politician is noble.

Those assholes you speak of are the same ones who got us in these
kinds of messes.

Jack Bauer
08-14-2010, 10:53 PM
But mostly Christians, remember the crusades? thats where this started, Christians are
the only group large enough and brave enough to fight them.

Now heres where it gets tricky.

By real American I guess I was thinking the G.I. Joe song when I said that.
I actually believe there are some American heroes left

Not every American is heroic though, and not every businessman or politician is noble.

Those assholes you speak of are the same ones who got us in these
kinds of messes.

I would beg to differ. Muslims had almost eliminated the entire population of Zoroastrianism, slaughtered about 100 million Hindus in their invasion of India and surely pained enough Jews as well. And the crusades were a Christian initiative, not a Muslim one. So most of the Christians that were slaughtered in the crusades were volunteering for that to some degree. And the extremist Islamic philosophy of killing non-believers predates the crusades by a few centuries.

If there are some American heros left, I don't think they would have an issue if the religion of the POTUS is not Christianity. If they do, I would be disappointed in them for being so narrow and you for calling them heros.

Old Ducker
08-14-2010, 10:56 PM
Greg Gutfeld proposed the free market solution. Open up a strip club next to the mosque.

Liberty4life
08-14-2010, 10:58 PM
I would beg to differ. Muslims had almost eliminated the entire population of Zoroastrianism, slaughtered about 100 million Hindus in their invasion of India and surely pained enough Jews as well. And the crusades were a Christian initiative, not a Muslim one.

If there are some American heros left, I don't think they would have an issue if the religion of the POTUS is not Christianity. If they do, I would be disappointed in them for being so narrow and you for calling them heros.

Well I admire your logical comments. And I do believe your words.
But I didn't call anyone a hero.

Jack Bauer
08-14-2010, 11:00 PM
Greg Gutfeld proposed the free market solution. Open up a strip club next to the mosque.

I am surprised he didn't think of a BBQ joint. :p

akforme
08-15-2010, 03:13 AM
I think they should build a military base instead, let t he hawks understand why they hate us.

cindy25
08-15-2010, 04:04 AM

doesn't need to a strip club, which would probably not qualify due to Rudy laws, but a pork specialty restaurant.
with a roast pig in the window