PDA

View Full Version : Libertarians call federal worker pay gap 'appalling'

Galileo Galilei
08-12-2010, 12:09 PM
Libertarians call federal worker pay gap 'appalling'

Recent data from the Bureau of Economic Analysis show that federal government workers get compensation, on average, more than twice as high as private-sector workers. That gap has expanded dramatically over the last decade. Libertarian Party Chair Mark Hinkle released the following statement today:

"The numbers are appalling. In 2009, the average private-sector worker received $61,051 in total compensation, but the average federal government worker received $123,049. There is no excuse for this enormous, and growing, compensation gap.

http://www.lp.org/news/press-releases/libertarians-call-federal-worker-pay-gap-appalling

This is outrageous!

Brian Defferding
08-12-2010, 12:16 PM
It's incredibly appalling. And look at how Christie got chastised in NJ when he took just his state workers on when it came to salary and jobs, to keep the books balanced. All the while our government spending grows. Hell, I remember when I was living in Minnesota, Tim Pawlenty froze state worker salaries for a couple years, and people were screaming bloody murder. And that's just state employees, federal employees get an even bigger paycheck.

But apparently, the moment salaries get cut and jobs are downsized, our economy will collapse as we know it :rolleyes: Like the high unemployment and the recession isn't showing that it tanked already, thanks in part to our last administration.

wizardwatson
08-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Democrat response: This is appalling! Look at how capitalism has depressed wages in the so-called "free market"!

Republican response: This is appalling! While the private sector suffers the government unions continue to grow and enrich themselves at the expense of hard-working Americans!

Libertarian response: This is appalling! Perhaps now Americans will wake up and realize the perils of leaving the state unchecked!

Government response: This is appalling! We could have twice as many government employees for the same price!

bobbyw24
08-12-2010, 12:48 PM
I think many Libertarians:D are green with envy

virgil47
08-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Libertarians call federal worker pay gap 'appalling'

Recent data from the Bureau of Economic Analysis show that federal government workers get compensation, on average, more than twice as high as private-sector workers. That gap has expanded dramatically over the last decade. Libertarian Party Chair Mark Hinkle released the following statement today:

"The numbers are appalling. In 2009, the average private-sector worker received $61,051 in total compensation, but the average federal government worker received $123,049. There is no excuse for this enormous, and growing, compensation gap.

http://www.lp.org/news/press-releases/libertarians-call-federal-worker-pay-gap-appalling

This is outrageous!

I don't know what goverment he is talking about but it sure as H*ll isn't the one I work for. My pay is about 15% behind what those in civilian industry make in my area. Even though pay comparability is supposed to be taken into account the cuts in pay( lack of cost of living increases - pay caps) in the past have put those of us that work for the D.O.D. well behind the pay curve. Pay equity is slowly becoming a reallity as we get decent cost of living increases but it will be some time before equality in pay is achieved.

wizardwatson
08-12-2010, 12:56 PM
I think many Libertarians:D are green with envy

Well, I program for the government and only make $22 an hour. I had a contract job in the private sector a couple years ago making over $30 an hour. The government maybe overpays on average, but they usually underpay for the higher skilled jobs, and overpay for the jobs which barely require a pulse.

The pension system is really the primary problem as far as wage disparity, because the government simply is permanent whereas private companies go in and out of business all the time. So if you are a good (relative term) government worker and stick with it, its hard not to realize after 10 years that sticking with them is a low risk situation.

wizardwatson
08-12-2010, 12:58 PM
I don't know what goverment he is talking about but it sure as H*ll isn't the one I work for. My pay is about 15% behind what those in civilian industry make in my area. Even though pay comparability is supposed to be taken into account the cuts in pay( lack of cost of living increases - pay caps) in the past have put those of us that work for the D.O.D. well behind the pay curve. Pay equity is slowly becoming a reallity as we get decent cost of living increases but it will be some time before equality in pay is achieved.

Yeah, there is disparity for skilled workers but there's less job risk.

We've had the same issue with our "cost of living" increases here too. Haven't gotten any in years, and when we do they're always less than even that years inflation.

bobbyw24
08-12-2010, 12:59 PM
Well, I program for the government and only make $22 an hour. I had a contract job in the private sector a couple years ago making over $30 an hour. The government maybe overpays on average, but they usually underpay for the higher skilled jobs, and overpay for the jobs which barely require a pulse.

The pension system is really the primary problem as far as wage disparity, because the government simply is permanent whereas private companies go in and out of business all the time. So if you are a good (relative term) government worker and stick with it, its hard not to realize after 10 years that sticking with them is a low risk situation.

True. I know many bureaucrats who doing very little and earn $50K/year plus--such a waste of taxpayer money.

NCGOPer_for_Paul
08-12-2010, 01:04 PM
The other issue that they seem to be forgetting is that a great many Federal employees work in Washington DC, where a $100k salary is the norm, even in the private sector. I'm not saying Federal employees aren't overpaid, just that the comparison is a little unfair. The point should be that there are TOO MANY FEDERAL EMPLOYEES!

(No, I'm not a Federal employee.)