PDA

View Full Version : Christopher Hitchens on his cancer: 'I'm Dying'

eOs
08-12-2010, 10:24 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/10/christopher-hitchens-im-d_n_676681.html

Hopefully this turns out alright for him but it's not looking good. Already spread to his lymph nodes.

YouTube - Christopher Hitchens Interviewed by Anderson Cooper (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgCq2T-v-Mo)

angelatc
08-12-2010, 10:28 AM
Says he's staying a devout atheist, but...

He acknowledges, however, that there could be an undiscovered "prime mover or prior intelligence" behind the universe.

WaltM
08-12-2010, 10:32 AM

"prime mover or prior intelligence" does not mean you believe in God.

Don't make me quote Sagan.

But I bet God is laughing really hard right now, if he exists (so are the people who sell B17)

amy31416
08-12-2010, 10:49 AM

"Devout" atheist. :p

Just strikes me as rather funny.

pcosmar
08-12-2010, 11:40 AM

Yup.

I suspect he will have his answer soon.

AuH2O
08-12-2010, 11:41 AM

Given that he's more zealous in his atheism than most of the religious folks he criticizes, I'd say yeah, there's some irony.

johnrocks
08-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Regardless of politics or religion, I wish him and his family/friends the best. Cancer sucks big time!

RCA
08-12-2010, 11:50 AM
"prime mover or prior intelligence" does not mean you believe in God.

Don't make me quote Sagan.

But I bet God is laughing really hard right now, if he exists (so are the people who sell B17)

elaborate much?

OP,

The title of the thread is a little misleading. He says in the article everybody is dying and that he could live another 5 years if he's lucky.

paulitics
08-12-2010, 12:07 PM
He's a man of faith if he says God surely does not exist. If he hasn't ruled it out, then he is an agnostic, and a rational thinker, because nobody truly knows. Atheists are some of the most illogical people I have ever had the misfortune of listening too because all they do it bash faith based religions, without having the humility to admit that their doctrine is faith based.

Also, this guy was/is a complete neocon, so anyone that says only the religious people are neocons are lying. There are many other atheist pseudo-intellectual guys like him that cheerlead for the wars.

wizardwatson
08-12-2010, 01:16 PM
'To fear death, gentlemen, is no other than to think oneself wise when one is not, to think one knows what one does not know. No one knows whether death may not be the greatest of all blessings for a man, yet men fear it as if they knew that it is the greatest of evils. And surely it is the most blameworthy ignorance to believe that one knows what one does not know.' - Socrates

I've watched a few videos of his, very intelligent.

Between him, Richard Dawkins, and Stefan Molyneux, Hitchens annoyed me the least.

amy31416
08-12-2010, 01:24 PM
I've watched a few videos of his, very intelligent.

Between him, Richard Dawkins, and Stefan Molyneux, Hitchens annoyed me the least.

In regards to their atheism, yeah. Dawkins annoyed me the most.

EndDaFed
08-12-2010, 01:31 PM
He's a man of faith if he says God surely does not exist. If he hasn't ruled it out, then he is an agnostic, and a rational thinker, because nobody truly knows. Atheists are some of the most illogical people I have ever had the misfortune of listening too because all they do it bash faith based religions, without having the humility to admit that their doctrine is faith based.

Also, this guy was/is a complete neocon, so anyone that says only the religious people are neocons are lying. There are many other atheist pseudo-intellectual guys like him that cheerlead for the wars.

Atheism is a lack of belief in a god or gods. It does not posit the existence or non existence of god. It makes no truth statement about the claim.

Vessol
08-12-2010, 01:37 PM
And here I was thinking that Hitchens would die of liver failure.

ClayTrainor
08-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Thats pretty sad, the odds sound like they're against him. I've always liked hitchens, and I'll miss his insight when he's gone.

Atheism is a lack of belief in a god or gods. It does not posit the existence or non existence of god. It makes no truth statement about the claim.

Right. Also, contrary to popular belief Agnosticism is not an alternative to atheism and theism. You can have agnostic theists and agnostic atheists.

Atheism vs theism is based on faith in god or lack thereof. Agnosticism vs Gnosticism is based on knowledge or lack thereof.

amy31416
08-12-2010, 01:41 PM
And here I was thinking that Hitchens would die of kidney failure.

I was thinking liver failure or lung cancer...

teamrican1
08-12-2010, 01:42 PM
And here I was thinking that Hitchens would die of kidney failure.

Chronic alcohol abuse is supposedly the cause of 75% of esophageal cancers in the United States.

Vessol
08-12-2010, 01:42 PM
I was thinking liver failure or lung cancer...

Er doh, I meant liver. Not kidney.

But seriously, has the guy ever been sober?

ClayTrainor
08-12-2010, 01:46 PM

He certainly never looks it.

amy31416
08-12-2010, 01:53 PM
Er doh, I meant liver. Not kidney.

I don't think so...I wish I could find the clip of him from Penn & Teller's "Bullshit." Classic Hitchens...drink in one hand, cigarette in the other.

NewFederalist
08-12-2010, 02:01 PM
Well, well, well... if he was truly a man of principle he wouldn't wait for the pain to get too bad. Since in his world there is no penalty for self deliverance he can just get on with it.

carlos1215
08-12-2010, 03:20 PM
i hope its a long and painful illness and a horrible death.......not unlike the death he helped visit upon Iraqi children