PDA

View Full Version : Barack Obama 'may be prepared to meet Iranian president’

tjeffersonsghost
08-12-2010, 10:24 AM
The retired general also indicated that the return of three American hikers held in Iran for the past year would be an “important gesture”.

Earlier this month, Mr Ahmadinejad requested face-to-face talks with Mr Obama during the UN General Assembly meeting in New York. The White House had appeared to rule out any meeting.

However, in an interview with CNN, Gen Jones said “the door’s open” if the Iranians agree to resume talks with the International Atomic Energy Agency.

When asked whether Mr Obama may meet the Iranian leader, Gen Jones said: “Ultimately if we find a convergence of paths all things are possible.

“One thing they might do is return our three hikers. That would be an important gesture. It could lead to better relations.” However, the President’s national security adviser said there would be “no point in a theatrical meeting.” It is unlikely that the Iranians will agree to the American’s demands as the regime has repeatedly circumvented previous attempts to rein in its nuclear programme.

Earlier this month, Mr Ahmadinejad said he was ready for face-to-face talks.

“We are hopefully coming for the UN assembly,” Mr Ahmadinejad said in an address to expatriate Iranians which was broadcast live on state television.

“We are ready to sit down with Mr Obama face-to-face and put the global issues on the table, man-to-man, freely, and in front of the media and see whose solutions are better. We think this is a better approach.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/7940061/Barack-Obama-may-be-prepared-to-meet-Iranian-president.html

If this is true this is actually something I agree with Barry on. Israel might not be to pleased though....

jmdrake
08-12-2010, 11:41 AM
If this is true this is actually something I agree with Barry on. Israel might not be to pleased though....

A broken clock is right twice a day. I also agree with Obama ending the disparity on cocaine / crack sentencing choosing not to prosecute medical marijuana users. If all this had happened on the same day he'd be past his "rightness" quota. ;)

Bruno
08-12-2010, 11:44 AM
only took him 19 months to possibly be prepared

pcosmar
08-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Earlier this month, Mr Ahmadinejad said he was ready for face-to-face talks.

“We are hopefully coming for the UN assembly,” Mr Ahmadinejad said in an address to expatriate Iranians which was broadcast live on state television.

“We are ready to sit down with Mr Obama face-to-face and put the global issues on the table, man-to-man, freely, and in front of the media and see whose solutions are better. We think this is a better approach.”

That will never happen. I would welcome such a discussion.
It will never be allowed.

raistlinkishtar
08-12-2010, 12:59 PM
It would be great, but I find it hard to imagine.

Obama remembers what happened to Clinton right after he met with one of Israel's enemies. He was dragged through the liberal media for years for something as rediculous as cheating on his wife and trying to hush it up. Imagine what they could do to Obama.

Unless Obama smacks ImAdinnerJacket around in the white hosue, I foresee very bad things happening to him (could be a good thing?)

pcosmar
08-12-2010, 01:04 PM
It would be great, but I find it hard to imagine.

Obama remembers what happened to Clinton right after he met with one of Israel's enemies. He was dragged through the liberal media for years for something as rediculous as cheating on his wife and trying to hush it up. Imagine what they could do to Obama.

Unless Obama smacks ImAdinnerJacket around in the white hosue, I foresee very bad things happening to him (could be a good thing?)

I have doubts that Obama could keep up in conversation,,let alone debate.

oyarde
08-12-2010, 01:07 PM
If there was a way to make progress with Iran, that would be very beneficial.Just my opinion , there can be no progress made with Amadinejad.Wish it was not so.

wizardwatson
08-12-2010, 01:32 PM
If there was a way to make progress with Iran, that would be very beneficial.Just my opinion , there can be no progress made with Amadinejad.Wish it was not so.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is not the leader of Iran. He's the ego-stooge front man for the actual fundamentalist dictator that runs that country, Ali Khamenei.

If Putin can meet with Khamenei, Obama should meet with him too. Leaders should talk to leaders, there's no reason for Obama to meet with Ahmadinejad since he's nothing but a puppet for Khamenei anyway.

You know what I think...maybe Khamenei is...

RACIST!!!

oyarde
08-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is not the leader of Iran. He's the ego-stooge front man for the actual fundamentalist dictator that runs that country, Ali Khamenei.

If Putin can meet with Khamenei, Obama should meet with him too. Leaders should talk to leaders, there's no reason for Obama to meet with Ahmadinejad since he's nothing but a puppet for Khamenei anyway.

You know what I think...maybe Khamenei is...

RACIST!!!

It is correct that Ahmadinejad is just the front man.Also , keep in mind , they will make no concessions on anything and if they say otherwise , they are lying and will continue to do whatever they wish.It has worked pretty well for them so far....

surf
08-12-2010, 02:10 PM
It is correct that Ahmadinejad is just the front man.Also , keep in mind , they will make no concessions on anything and if they say otherwise , they are lying and will continue to do whatever they wish.It has worked pretty well for them so far....

which "they" are you referring to?

paulitics
08-12-2010, 02:14 PM
I've never understood why the media makes a big deal about two telempromptor readers meeting.

pcosmar
08-12-2010, 02:19 PM

And Obama is?? what?

just who is pulling the strings of that puppet?

oyarde
08-12-2010, 02:42 PM
which "they" are you referring to?

They would be the Iranian regime.

specsaregood
08-12-2010, 02:46 PM
They would be the Iranian regime.

I think one could say American regime in that statement and be just as accurate.