PDA

View Full Version : Exclusive: Rand Paul's accuser: "The whole thing has been blown out of proportion"

Lucille
08-11-2010, 12:49 PM
WaPo: Exclusive: Rand Paul's accuser clarifies "kidnapping" (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/plum-line/2010/08/rand_pauls_accuser_clarifies_k.html)

"The whole thing has been blown out of proportion," she told me. "They didn't force me, they didn't make me. They were creating this drama: `We're messing with you.'"

The woman said that much of the subsequent coverage of her allegations missed a key nuance: As a participant in a college ritual, where lines between acquiescence and victimization are often blurry, she was largely playing along with the notion that she was being forced to follow Paul's orders.

"I went along because they were my friends," she said. "There was an implicit degree of cooperation in the whole thing. I felt like I was being hazed."

That characterization of events supports Paul's claim that, as he told Fox News yesterday, "No, I never was involved with kidnapping. No, I never was involved with forcibly drugging people."
[...]
In our conversation, she elaborated that she doesn't want her name in print because she's a clinical psychologist who works with former members of the military, some of whom are Tea Partyers, and fears that complicating Paul's Senate run could put her in danger.

The tea partiers are so very dangerous! What a neurotic broad! A clinical psychologist? The blind leading the blind.

TheDriver
08-11-2010, 01:00 PM
More anti tea party journalism. No wonder Tyler Collins is employed by a newspaper.

rprprs
08-11-2010, 01:02 PM
WaPo: Exclusive: Rand Paul's accuser clarifies "kidnapping" (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/plum-line/2010/08/rand_pauls_accuser_clarifies_k.html)

The tea partiers are so very dangerous! What a neurotic broad! A clinical psychologist? The blind leading the blind.

^ spot on.

Slutter McGee
08-11-2010, 01:02 PM
Who cares about anti-tea party crap. She clarified that she wasn't kidnapped. I am happy for that. And I still get to believe in Aqua Buddha.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Lucille
08-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Also enjoying the twitter hashtags #RandPaulScandals and #RandPaulRumors! Check 'em out!

Cynanthrope
08-11-2010, 01:11 PM
I noticed this as well.

Hopefully, Kentuckian voters will realize that it was just a harmless college prank that was badly reported and intentionally distorted to smear him.

Heck, even many of the DUers realize this incident was distorted:

hxxp://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x8925716#8925838

rprprs
08-11-2010, 01:11 PM
Who cares about anti-tea party crap. She clarified that she wasn't kidnapped. I am happy for that. And I still get to believe in Aqua Buddha.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

I do. Not because I have any personal or vested interest in them, but because Rand takes every opportunity to associate himself with them.

furface
08-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Clinical psychologists can be nutty people. My observations on the ones I've known are that they tend to be women and tend to be very flighty, getting excited about one thing one day and then having a completely different point of view the next. I suppose dealing with crazy people in a hospital setting can take its toll on you.

Tinnuhana
08-11-2010, 01:13 PM
"Aqua Buddha" sounds suspiciously like the "porcelain god" some of my college peers worshipped after a drinking binge.

Libertea Party
08-11-2010, 01:16 PM

It is not nice to generalize and she did a pretty good thing for Paul by clarifying. Even though if she really cared she wouldn't have put that nonsense there or talked to Paul first.

Funny enough I have read about this, but could only find an anecdote:

Why do marriage and family therapists have a high divorce rate? (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_do_marriage_and_family_therapists_have_a_high_ divorce_rate)
In: Psychology, Sociology

Therapist with Multible Divorces!

Yes, you've hit it! I have asked myself the same question! Even though my wife and I have had a healthy marriage for 42 years, I have attended many seminars where the speaker talking about marriage had multiple - some as many as four - divorces.

This phenomina is actually a much broader phenomina. You can include psychologists, psychiatrists and other mental health workers. Yes, it is an oxymoron to realize that those in the profession to help others in their relationship problems, have failed in their own.

I think that most mental health professionals had relationship problems before they entered their profession and hoped that by learning about psychology, they would be able to answer their own problems. This doesn't portent that they would be ineffective, it rather tells you that they have been aware of their problems and hoped to solve them by studying them.

RonPaulFanInGA
08-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Everyone already knew this, including those leftist blogs, CBS and other alleged "mainstream" sources that said "kidnapping" as if it was something against her will. They knew what they were doing too.

They're turning people off Conway I think.

Lucille
08-11-2010, 01:32 PM
It is not nice to generalize and she did a pretty good thing for Paul by clarifying. Even though if she really cared she wouldn't have put that nonsense there or talked to Paul first.

So, I'm not nice. She was probably afraid she was going to be sued.

Frankly, I think her patients have a right now know just how neurotic their therapist is. (Just like the left insisted his patients have a right to know that he chose not to register with the ABO (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/06/14/rand-pauls-doctor-credentials-questioned-lacking-boards-certification/?test=latestnews).)

Still trying to make sense of it 30 years later? In fear of the tea party? SRSLY?

Aratus
08-11-2010, 01:35 PM
jack conway's elan vitale auld!school!tie driven "aqua-bubba"

seeks to dethrone a mysteriously silent aqua~buddhahhh...?

Libertea Party
08-11-2010, 01:36 PM

Frankly, I think her patients have a right now know just how neurotic their therapist is. (Just like the left insisted his patients have a right to know that he chose not to register with the ABO (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/06/14/rand-pauls-doctor-credentials-questioned-lacking-boards-certification/?test=latestnews).)

Still trying to make sense of it 30 years later? In fear of the tea party? SRSLY?

I think this whole episode might have helped if we are successful in holding Jack Conway to his own standards. (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=256747) Cap and Trade, Taxes, and his integrity are important and carry more weight in the real election.

Aratus
08-11-2010, 01:42 PM
both RAND and JACK went to DUKE U. and they both were graduates...

of the two guys, exactly WHO is the AQUA-BUDDhAHHH worshipper!!!

if i am going by character, i'd expect a stunt like that out of Jack C ---!

Lucille
08-11-2010, 01:42 PM
I think this whole episode might have helped if we are successful in holding Jack Conway to his own standards. (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=256747) Cap and Trade, Taxes, and his integrity are important and carry more weight in the real election.

Well, of course.

Good Aqua Buddha! Do ya mind if I have a little fun with this?

Lucille
08-11-2010, 02:03 PM
HotAir (http://hotair.com/archives/2010/08/11/rand-pauls-kidnap-victim-oh-by-the-way-he-didnt-kidnap-me/): Rand Paul’s “kidnap” victim: Oh, by the way, he didn’t kidnap me

In case anyone still cares about this story, good news: What was obviously some sort of hazing prank is now fully confirmed as … some sort of hazing prank.
[...]
That’s from Greg Sargent, who complains that by focusing on the obviously bogus “kidnapping” charge, Paul’s campaign is ducking the more luridly explosive allegations about blindfolding and, um, “Aqua Buddha.” Which is fair enough: If Jack Conway is elected, I hope we’ll get the congressional probe into Aqua Buddha’s origins that America deserves.

Coming soon from GQ: “Rand Paul: The Purple Nurple Years.”

Kotin
08-11-2010, 02:10 PM
You will bow before aqua buddha!!

ItsTime
08-11-2010, 02:16 PM
Time for Rand to sue GQ

Matt Collins
08-11-2010, 02:52 PM
Now she is backpedaling. GQ, Connman, and the Dems are looking worse and worse here.

sailingaway
08-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Isn't she concerned she put all her co-clinical psychologists of a suitable age range at risk of these marauding, military tea partiers who might now just go bonkers at every clinical psychologist in sight?

No, of course not, she just blew off her mouth exagerating about Rand and saying stuff she knew would hurt him to the media when she thought she'd never be confronted with what she was doing. ('kinda sadistic', really??) Now she knows she'd have to come forward, she is trying to walk it back down, still anonymously.

No respect from me.

However, hopefully we can move on, now. (Unless Rand thinks it is worth pursuing, further.)

Frankly, I consider Aqua Buddha to be a significant addition to the campaign.:D

sailingaway
08-11-2010, 03:34 PM

To the first part I absolutely agree. She was taking pot shots from anonymity, but what about RAND?

To the second part, that wasn't her language 'she is still trying to make sense of it 30 years later'... remember the Rand-hating JournoLister who wrote the article. Doubtless she was asked something like 'why did they.....' and she answered 'I have no idea!' and it turned into" "she is still trying to make sense of it 30 years later.....'

Otherwise, I'd consider that right there to be a pretty bad statement about her professional skills.

paulitics
08-11-2010, 03:46 PM
This article is written in such a way to make you think that Rand Paul did actually kidnap her, but that she is so afraid for her life that she has to backpeddle. And by downplaying the story at the same time, it now makes the whole pank seem more believable, but still odd.

This is some very deceptive journalism here, and quite a sophicticated attack.

And the media does not care about this fraternity crap, the Bohemian Grove does much stranger things, and they cover it up year after year...and the sad part is these guys are not just a bunch of mischievious college kids, but those who hold powerful positions.

Chieftain1776
08-11-2010, 03:46 PM
To the first part I absolutely agree. She was taking pot shots from anonymity, but what about RAND?

To the second part, that wasn't her language 'she is still trying to make sense of it 30 years later'... remember the Rand-hating JournoLister who wrote the article. Doubtless she was asked something like 'why did they.....' and she answered 'I have no idea!' and it turned into" "she is still trying to make sense of it 30 years later.....'

Otherwise, I'd consider that right there to be a pretty bad statement about her professional skills.

That's most likely how it probably happened. Before following this campaign I always thought conservatives screaming "the media lied" were exaggerating. The truth is they're worse... they impose a tone and framing around real facts that give an impression of authenticity to the average reader. People are catching on though (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/general_politics/june_2010/66_of_voters_are_angry_at_the_media): "Fifty-four percent (54%) of voters think most reporters would hide any information they uncovered that might hurt a candidate they wanted to win, up seven points from November 2008. Twenty-eight percent (28%) say most reporters would not hide damaging information to help the candidate they preferred. Eighteen percent (18%) are not sure.

Aratus
08-11-2010, 03:49 PM
remember the undeserved goldfish bowl media firestorm after the maddow interview???
if the poor woman is under 1/10th the scrutiny that Rand faced bravely, she is perhaps
thinking over what she just said. even if 70% to 80% of her account is true, this all is in
a gray area. she has backed off from anything that implies a legal tort as the damage is
done to rand's reputation among the less well informed. i actually think she was put up
to tell the merrie tale before she realized what a media driven story it was soon to be...

sailingaway
08-11-2010, 04:02 PM
I call BS on this, she's either lying here or the prior article lied: "And she added that the whole thing was so "weird" that afterwards she ended relations with Paul and his friends."

The other article said she hadn't realized that he had left Baylor, she just hadn't seen him after that, as I recall. Which begged the question of how you could be on a swim team and not see eachother. Again I suspect they asked if she had had any further adventures and she immediately said 'no I really didn't see him after that weird incident' not wanting to be further involved in the media frenzy. Mind you, I'm making that up, the leftest media wrote both characterizations; they are NOT quotes... perhaps they should retire to the seclusion of that new list that took the place of Journo-list and work out their details...

Also, this guy needs a life, Rand is supposed to go around telling everyone about every time he ever blindfolded someone, starting with pin the tail on the donkey and going up through.... I guess, his kids' pin the tail on the donkey? We'd be here all day. I'm not sure I can even think of all the times I personally blindfolded people, and yes, that includes the college 'you will come with us!' type of abductions with the abductee giggling madly.

Talk about trying to give a story legs when it's petered out!

sailingaway
08-11-2010, 04:08 PM
remember the undeserved goldfish bowl media firestorm after the madow interview???
if the poor woman is under 1/10th the scrutiny that Rand faced bravely, she is perhaps
thinking over what she just said. even if 70% to 80% of her account is true, this all is in
a gray area. she has backed off from anything that implies a legal tort as the damage is
done to rand's reputation among the less well informed. i actually think she was put up
to tell the merrie tale before she realized what a media driven story it was soon to be...

I agree that is likely.

The media frenzy against Rand is pathalogical.

If there IS a 'charactor assasination' cause of action beyond the libel one, and if this really was a journolist type collusion, not just this story but the whole 'paint Rand Paul as a demon' meme, I would think Rand should have remedies in court.

Matt Collins
08-11-2010, 04:54 PM
Frankly, I consider Aqua Buddha to be a significant addition to the campaign.:DHe is Toady's distant cousin!

Bman
08-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Now she is backpedaling. GQ, Connman, and the Dems are looking worse and worse here.

Are you serious!?! They are obviously the victims in this one. You must be a racist, Nazi loving kidnapper, who hates poor people, and elderly people, and people with disabilities!!:eek: