PDA

View Full Version : CHAOS in Atlanta, GA over house assistance - sign of things to come?

AdamT
08-11-2010, 12:23 PM
http://www.11alive.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=149849&catid=40

http://www.11alive.com/genthumb/genthumb.ashx?e=3&h=240&w=320&i=/assetpool/images/100811010526_sec82.jpghttp://www.11alive.com/genthumb/genthumb.ashx?e=3&h=240&w=320&i=/assetpool/images/100811110741_sec8.jpg

EAST POINT, GA -- A huge crowd of people trying to meet a deadline to get an application for public housing flooded a facility in East Point Wednesday.

The crowd began with just a few hundred people gathering around noon Monday at the Tri-Cities Plaza Shopping Center.

By Wednesday morning, it had easily swelled to thousands.

Many in the crowd could be seen running toward police vehicles.

Thousands more were gathered around the front of the plaza, and many were just waiting in long lines.

"We have a lot of homeless families, a lot of families who are unemployed and it creates a desperate situation, which is what out agency was created to assist with," said Kim Lemish, the executive director of East Point Housing Authority.

RELATED: DULUTH COUPLE SPARKS STANDOFF REFUSING TO LEAVE FORECLOSED HOME

Right now East Point's nearly 200 public housing units are full and more than 400 Section 8 vouchers for help with private housing rent are also being used.

So the chance of anyone getting housing immediately is slim.

The last time East Point opened its waiting list was in 2002 when more than 2,000 people signed up.

MelissaWV
08-11-2010, 12:26 PM
There's already a thread about this, with an equally misleading title.

There were "a few fights," but no one was injured. More people fell over from heat distress than were shoved around.

From that other story:

By late morning the crowd had thinned considerably and people were walking up and getting their applications without delay.

Why is there such a need to dehumanize this group of people and call them a "mob" or insist that "chaos" ensued?

MikeStanart
08-11-2010, 12:32 PM
There's already a thread about this, with an equally misleading title.

There were "a few fights," but no one was injured. More people fell over from heat distress than were shoved around.

From that other story:

Why is there such a need to dehumanize this group of people and call them a "mob" or insist that "chaos" ensued?

Who wants to read an article about a well-behaved group of people standing in line for an application?

Cowlesy
08-11-2010, 12:41 PM
Hey if someone faceless no-name from the government offered me some of your tax money for free, I'd take it! Free money!

RideTheDirt
08-11-2010, 12:51 PM
who wants to read an article about a well-behaved group of people standing in line for an application?

lol

Slutter McGee
08-11-2010, 12:59 PM
I have no problem with spicing it up a little.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Matt Collins
08-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Chaos in Atlanta? Try driving their interstates!

Romulus
08-11-2010, 03:04 PM

During rush hour no less!

osan
08-11-2010, 03:24 PM

Because it buys eye time on the 6 o'clock news?

Because there are unadvertised interests afoot?

Because that's the kind of thing that gives so many a vicarious thrill?

Pick one, anyone. Hell, pick 'em all.

osan
08-11-2010, 03:32 PM

The loop? Been there. done that. Sucks. May as well live in NYC.

Koz
08-11-2010, 03:42 PM
The Dems love this, look at all of those people going to thier mommy (The Government) to get taken care of. These people don't deserve to have any liberty, they gave it up long ago.

nobody's_hero
08-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Who wants to read an article about a well-behaved group of people standing in line for an application?

lmao