PDA

View Full Version : New V-Blog: Schiff for Senate final thoughts

K466
08-11-2010, 10:24 AM
Here it is!

YouTube - ‪Schiff for Senate final thoughts‬‎ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuJxB4VMVXM)

He talks a lot about 2012.

Wikipedia Potential Candidates (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_election_in_Connecticut,_2012 ):

Republican Party
Potential

* Joe Lieberman, incumbent U.S. Senator
* John Ratzenberger, actor
* Jodi Rell, incumbent Governor
* Alan Schlesinger, former Mayor of Derby and 2006 Republican U.S. Senate nominee
* Peter Schiff, economist, financial analyst, President of Euro-Pacific Capital, and former Senate candidate

tpreitzel
08-11-2010, 10:40 AM
Highly encouraging ... I actually didn't expect that he'd consider running for political office again. He obviously sees the need to do so and I basically agree with his assessment of his race ...

ctiger2
08-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Peter, Do NOT Endorse Linda McMahon.

RonPaulFanInGA
08-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Peter, Do NOT Endorse Linda McMahon.

If Schiff is running again in 2012, he really should.

"Peter Schiff wouldn't even support our candidate in 2010 and now wants to be our party's nominee?"

Aratus
08-11-2010, 11:00 AM
what if ms. linda mcmahon goes momma grizzly and peter schiff + sarah palin give her an
edge over mr. blumenthal come october? what if peter schiff helps the fall race tighten...???
sarah palin, jim bunning and jim demint helped rand paul defeat trey grayson in kentucky.

itshappening
08-11-2010, 11:03 AM
CT is a safe Democrat stronghold. Blumie is going to be very hard to beat even if Linda spends 30 million and even if Peter won it was going to be difficult to beat him

2012 is going to be an interesting one.

Peter needs to get behind McMahon and campaign for her, he needs to be a good team player and needs to heel those rifts

TortoiseDream
08-11-2010, 11:09 AM
If Schiff is running again in 2012, he really should.

"Peter Schiff wouldn't even support our candidate in 2010 and now wants to be our party's nominee?"

No. Peter should stand on principle, not silly party bullshit. That's what he's always stood for, that's what he should continue to stand for, especially in public life.

K466
08-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Remember Rand Paul said he would support Trey Grayson if he won.

This is a difficult issue.
A little lip service to the winner for the sake of the sheeple isn't too bad. But I would be disappointed to see Peter go out of his way a lot to help McMahon.

And yes tpreitzel, this was a very encouraging video.

Hallamaat
08-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Awww. After tuning into these v-blogs everyday, I'm going to miss logging in every afternoon and catching them now. :(

Good to hear that he's considering taking a stab at running again in 2012. Lieberman sure sucks at liberty and the thought of seeing Schiff destroy him in a debate is the kind of thing I have dreams about. However, I could totally see Lieberman being enough of a weasel to pull a Dodd and 'retire' after he sees that he's behind in the polls, and/or realizes that he's not getting support from the party machines on either side.

itshappening
08-11-2010, 11:29 AM
No. Peter should stand on principle, not silly party bullshit. That's what he's always stood for, that's what he should continue to stand for, especially in public life.

No, he's got to woo the party. which means he covers himself in McMahon T-shirts and gets out there and stumps for her with a false smile you see so often from politicians.

I dont like it but it will win him friends.

Peter needs to infiltrate the CT GOP, he can't do it with just new support partly because of the convention system as well.

Tinnuhana
08-11-2010, 12:26 PM
How about looking from a different angle: what if he "educates" McMahon? Take her word for it that she is sincere and say, Hey, Linda, you're a CEO and know how to make a business successful, but here's the inside scoop on what's going on macro. "Let me school you in the Austrian tradition"
If she's open to that, she can in a way be a voice for Peter way past the 2012 election. She could be another Alan Grayson as far as supporting an audit of the fed and everything. Then, if Peter runs in 2012, she will support him and possibly he won't have a big expensive primary to deal with.
Maybe just dreaming, but I think Peter should invite her to discuss his economic philosophy with her, with the view of making her a more viable candidate against Blumenthal. Would she take him up on it? A lot more likely than she would take him up on having a debate.

Lucille
08-11-2010, 01:59 PM
How about looking from a different angle: what if he "educates" McMahon? Take her word for it that she is sincere and say, Hey, Linda, you're a CEO and know how to make a business successful, but here's the inside scoop on what's going on macro. "Let me school you in the Austrian tradition"
If she's open to that, she can in a way be a voice for Peter way past the 2012 election. She could be another Alan Grayson as far as supporting an audit of the fed and everything. Then, if Peter runs in 2012, she will support him and possibly he won't have a big expensive primary to deal with.
Maybe just dreaming, but I think Peter should invite her to discuss his economic philosophy with her, with the view of making her a more viable candidate against Blumenthal. Would she take him up on it? A lot more likely than she would take him up on having a debate.

I like it! She should bring him on her campaign as her economic adviser.

Aratus
08-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Great idea! GOP party unity, yes!!!

iFollowPeterSchiff
08-11-2010, 02:59 PM

She might be useful in 2012 if Peter wins, but I don't expect her to be useful before that. She has already implied she wants to serve 2 terms which implies she won't do things that jeopardize her reelection chances (not that I think she'll actually beat Blumenthal...I think Peter was the only one that could win the general election).

The interesting thing about Peter's candidacy is that he only wants 1 term and he was willing to make himself a pariah to block the raising of the debt ceiling. When Gingrich and Clinton fought and the government was shutdown, people were throwing around blame and taking cover.

Peter is willing to be the sacrificial lamb and responds, 'Fine! Shut down the government! It's better than shutting down the country!' The fact that he's willing to take all the heat makes him unique and extraordinary.

Not Linda, nor do I think any other politician will lead such a politically suicidal charge and make themselves the focal point. But if somebody like Peter is willing to take all the blame, then they might go along with the filibuster. But without somebody like Peter to provide political cover, I don't expect anybody to stick their necks out to do the really hard things that need to be done. (Just look at the last Simmons/Schiff debate. Simmons got woozy suggesting a pitiful 10% across-the-board spending cuts and Peter said you need to cut 50% just to get back to year 2000 levels. This doesn't even factor in the interest problem we're going to have on the national debt within the next several years when the currency crisis hits.)

MozoVote
08-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Schiff appears more interested in running in 2012 than Gary Johnson does.

He seems to be in good spirits, for someone who blew a million bucks of his own to come in 3rd.

If he does run, he may be able to snake an endorsement from Rob Simmons as well. Schiff never went negative against Rob.

low preference guy
08-11-2010, 06:34 PM
Schiff appears more interested in running in 2012 than Gary Johnson does.

He seems to be in good spirits, for someone who blew a million bucks of his own to come in 3rd.

And for someone with his ego! (not saying it's a bad thing)

Peter is an example on how one should take a loss.