PDA

View Full Version : Is Schiff Going To Run As An Independent?

S.Shorland
08-11-2010, 08:10 AM
THANK YOU family, friends & volunteers for your support. Onward to fight the good fight against Blumy! #schiffforsenate #nrsc #ctgop

From his facebook page.Interesting phraseology?

MelissaWV
08-11-2010, 08:22 AM
THANK YOU family, friends & volunteers for your support. Onward to fight the good fight against Blumy! #schiffforsenate #nrsc #ctgop

From his facebook page.Interesting phraseology?

Most reports that I've seen show him throwing his support, at least verbally, behind Linda. This would be consistent with that.

Schiff, a broker and financial pundit who drew support among the Tea Party movement, drew a small but enthusiastic band of followers from across the nation, but his message about the coming collapse of the U.S. economy failed to find broad support in Connecticut. "At this point, Linda is our only shot at beating Blumenthal, so I guess we have to support her," he said, a prospect that brought groans from his supporters.

S.Shorland
08-11-2010, 08:44 AM
Yes that makes sense.I hadn't seen that.Thanks for replying.Is that you or an avatar?

Thrashertm
08-11-2010, 09:01 AM
I hope he doesn't run as an independent; we, the grassroots, are a little burnt out now. Better to learn from this experience and consider making a run for Senate in 2012. Maybe the financial crisis will have progressed to make him a more attractive candidate by then.

Bern
08-11-2010, 09:02 AM
Running as an independent would be a mistake. It would burn whatever bridges and goodwill he has established with the local GOP. If he couldn't win the local GOP primary, he isn't going to win the election as an independent. He needs to spend the next couple of years gaining name recognition and support for a future campaign IMO.

qh4dotcom
08-11-2010, 09:10 AM
Peter promised he wouldn't run as an independent. His words: "If I can't get the Republicans to vote for me, how am I going to get the Democrats to vote for me?". You all need to wait until 2012 and encourage him to run for Lieberman's Senate seat. He also deserves a vacation from nearly a year of campaigning. Meanwhile, keep showing folks his Youtube videos.

K466
08-11-2010, 09:54 AM
He should not run independent.

If he supports Linda I hope he just does it to keep a good image with CT republicans. I doubt he really supports her much...

nobody's_hero
08-11-2010, 10:06 AM
But she's always talking about how the government needs to create jobs! Peter surely will love her for that! Come on guys, create jobs, jobs, jobs! Max out your credit cards and send the credit to the government to spend wisely on creating jobs for you!

[/sarcastic rant] lol

MelissaWV
08-11-2010, 10:10 AM
Yes that makes sense.I hadn't seen that.Thanks for replying.Is that you or an avatar?

It's always an avatar :p

As others have pointed out, also, Peter has said he wouldn't run as an "I". It would be incredibly difficult to pull off a win with these results being what they are. He would not only have to nab all the people who voted for him (meaning they would not support their party's nominee), he would have to get significant numbers of voters who either did not vote in the primary, from Linda, or from other opponents. That seems incredibly unlikely and more expensive than most folks can imagine.

Nathan Hale
08-11-2010, 06:39 PM
I was torn, initially, as to whether he should run as an R in 2012 or run as an Indy in 2010, but I think it's better to wait it out, build the campaign, and run against LIEberman in 2012.

libertybrewcity
08-11-2010, 07:53 PM
I really don't think he would run as an independent. He could barely get 100k in a money bomb. Now he would be up against McMahon with millions of dollars and the dem machine. If you all thought putting money into this primary was a waste of resources, this would THE BIGGEST waste.

hotbrownsauce
08-11-2010, 10:39 PM
I don't know which video I saw it in but Peter 100% undoubtedly said he will NOT be running as a independent because he is a Republican.

libertarian4321
08-12-2010, 06:22 PM
If he ran as an independent, he'd guarantee a Dem win.

It's going to be an uphill fight for any Republican, even a rich one like McMahon, to win in CT- an independent Schiff run would eliminate any chance she might have.

Is there a Libertarian running in that race for those who won't vote for the "lesser evil?"

low preference guy
08-12-2010, 06:23 PM
Is there a Libertarian running in that
race

who cares

Austrian Econ Disciple
08-12-2010, 06:23 PM
If he ran as an independent, he'd guarantee a Dem win.

It's going to be an uphill fight for any Republican, even a rich one like McMahon, to win in CT- an independent Schiff run would eliminate any chance she might have.

Is there a Libertarian running in that race for those who won't vote for the "lesser evil?"

I'm pretty sure McMahon would end up worse than Blumenthal.

libertarian4321
08-12-2010, 06:38 PM
who cares

If you really want to know the answer to that question, do a poll.

Or were you just wasting bandwidth with a stupid question?

libertarian4321
08-12-2010, 06:39 PM
I'm pretty sure McMahon would end up worse than Blumenthal.

Unless McMahon spends big and runs to the center, she isn't going to win- unless Blumenthal does something really stupid.

low preference guy
08-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Unless McMahon spends big and runs to the center, she isn't going to win- unless Blumenthal does something really stupid.

How can a bailout supporter get even closer to "the center"?

Austrian Econ Disciple
08-12-2010, 06:47 PM

That's not what I was saying. I am saying once in the Senate I think Blumenthal wouldn't be as bad as Linda. So if you want to vote for lesser of evils, Blumenthal is probably the lesser of two evils, thats why it makes no sense to me saying if Schiff ran as an I he'd give the D a win. The D in this scenario is the lesser of two evils lmao.