PDA

View Full Version : November 2, 2010: Vote YES on Prop 302

Romantarchist
08-10-2010, 11:30 PM
If you live in Arizona, you know that we have some pretty good Propositions on the general election ballot this year. For example, there's a nullification of Obamacare on the ballot (or at least the mandate part of it) and there's a prop to legalize medical marijuana on it (3rd time's the charm). There's also Prop 302, which abolishes First Things First, a typical nanny state educational program.

I think that we as Ron Paul supporters should concentrate most of our effort on making sure Prop 302 passes. Why? Because I'm very confident that the nullify Obamacare prop will pass (71% in Missouri) and I'm also confident that MM will pass (it already did twice before). But I'm not sure if 302 will pass and it'll take alot more effort .

I went out for a nice walk this morning and saw a huge "No on 302" banner on a corner with smiling children and the phrase "Education, Not Politics" on it. I swear to God I'll blow my brains out of Arizona falls for this whiny, mindlessly emotional "it's for the children!" liberal bullshit that we fell for on May 18th. Sorry if that sounded harsh but the ads really put me in a bad mood, almost to the point where I want to take them down.

So how can we help? My advice to make sure 302 passes is to remind anyone you talk to about it that we're suffering from a deficit and we simply can't afford to fund every program. We just have to let some of them go for the sake of a balanced budget.

Another thing to point out to people is that First Things First is totally corrupt. According to Ballotpedia, $325 million or 2/3 of the program's money is just sitting there in the general fund, doing nothing. Why not? If the money's not being used for anything, give the 2/3 back to the Arizona state budget and give the 1/3 back to the taxpayers. That'll be a good start.

Does anyone else have any good talking points to use on the average Arizonan? If so, please post here.

South Park Fan
08-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Ask John Taylor Gatto to come to Arizona and campaign for 302

MR2Fast2Catch
08-13-2010, 09:28 PM
I went out for a nice walk this morning and saw a huge "No on 302" banner on a corner with smiling children and the phrase "Education, Not Politics" on it. I swear to God I'll blow my brains out of Arizona falls for this whiny, mindlessly emotional "it's for the children!" liberal bullshit that we fell for on May 18th. Sorry if that sounded harsh but the ads really put me in a bad mood, almost to the point where I want to take them down.

Well said. It is the truth.

There are a bunch of propositions on the ballot this year. I need to find a list of them all.

I am really hoping we can get the medical marijuana to pass. I'm not too worried about the healthcare mandate one cause AZ is a conservative state that opposes ObamaCare. The only reason Prop100 passed was cause it was an election on it's own. If you would've thrown Prop100 on the ballot in November it might have failed cause that's when everyone shows up to vote. I knew so many people who just didn't bother voting on May 18th, it made me sick.

Thane Eichenauer
08-13-2010, 11:57 PM
The most informative page on Arizona 2010 ballot measures:
http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Arizona_2010_ballot_measures

The Arizona secretary of state has a more official list:
http://www.azsos.gov/election/2010/General/BallotMeasures.htm

Romantarchist
08-20-2010, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the links Thane but I was asking about what actions we can take to make sure Prop 302 wins. Your post doesn't translate into action.

I am asking everyone who reads this thread and lives in the State of Arizona to take action. Tell your friends and family to vote Yes on 302. If you aren't an Arizonan but still know registered voters in AZ, call the registered voters. It doesn't matter if they're liberal; give it a shot anyways and you might actually win them over if you do it diplomatically enough.

Here's my recommendation when dealing with people:

-mention that we have a huge budget deficit and we just can't afford to fund every social program so we're going to have to sacrifice a couple things to return to a balanced budget.

-mention that First Things First is a very corrupt program. The Arizona Republic reported that $325 million, or 2/3 of the program's fund, isn't being spent on anything; it's just sitting there doing nothing. (REFERENCE: http:// www.azcentral.com /arizonarepublic /news /articles /2010/03/21 /20100321 first-things - first.html)

-Another good point from a different Arizona Republic article: First Things First is about giving more money to greedy bureaucrats. "Sen. Ron Gould said First Things First has been ineffective in promoting early-childhood well-being. He said too much of the program's money is spent on staff salaries.'They enriched themselves by creating a bureaucracy at the ballot box.'" (REFERENCE: http://www.azcentral.com /arizonarepublic /local /articles/ 2010/03/16/20100316 early-childhood- education- session. html)

-adding to the previous two points, ask opponents of 302 if they have any evidence that First Things First has increased the literacy rate of Arizona's young children. ("Distributes grants to organizations that assist families with literacy problems and abuse prevention among other related problems. " -Ballotpedia) If they don't have any evidence, counterattack by giving them evidence of FTF's corruption.

-mention that you "strongly care about making sure our children are educated" and explain that the debate is over what the best way to educate them is. Then explain why you think First Things First is not the best way to do it. People will be more likely to believe you if you sound really compassionate.

-don't mention highly technical/niche libertarian terms like Rothbard, non-aggression axiom, etc. the average Arizonan is not a highly technical, intellectual libertarian and will be turned off by this. You have to speak to regular people in a way that everyone can understand, like Rand Paul, Justin Amash and B.J. Lawson do. That's probably why they've had so much success in their primaries.

-If you run into a 302 opponent who seems fairly intellectual, mention that the purpose of government is to protect life, liberty and property and that it's not the purpose of government to "take care of us"; it's the job of the people to take care of themselves and each other.

-one great target for this campaign: smokers! Remember that First Things First is being funded by increasing the state tobacco tax in 2006. Ask smokers if they're happy about the government taking more of their money every time they want to light up, especially when that money is going towards a very corrupt program. A lot of them will be unhappy about that.

-If all else fails, invite a 302 opponent out for a few drinks at your local bar on the night of November 1st and get them so drunk that they don't remember to show up to the polls. Well actually no, don't do this. That wouldn't be right. But it would be kind of funny. :D

Alright, my lesson is over. Now as for all you reading this: start talking to people! Action time!

communityinvolvedcitizen
09-13-2010, 02:53 PM
Before deciding your vote on any proposition, it is wise to read about what that proposition actually means for us and our community. I went to the First Things First website and was incredibly impressed to see how First Things First was actually benefitting my community. The funds are decided on by a council of people living in my district and that money is going towards things MY community needs, vs the Legistlature deciding where that money should go. I encourage everyone to visit the website www.azftf.gov to see for yourself before we make our decision on how to vote.

I was VERY surprised when I found that First Things First actually offered the legislature a 300 million dollar loan to be paid back with no interest and the legislature denied it! They would rather sweep the money to use at their own discretion and not be held accountable for their poor fiscal planning. I am a strong "NO on 302"! I hope you all take time to read and educate yourself on what first things first is before you make your decision.

Thane Eichenauer
09-19-2010, 02:28 PM
I was VERY surprised when I found that First Things First actually offered the legislature a 300 million dollar loan to be paid back with no interest and the legislature denied it! They would rather sweep the money to use at their own discretion and not be held accountable for their poor fiscal planning. I am a strong "NO on 302"! I hope you all take time to read and educate yourself on what first things first is before you make your decision.

The fact is that FTF has funds and unless their balance is impounded then government will either need to sell off unneeded assets (there are a few) or raise taxes or reduce spending. Since nobody seems to wish to consider selling off assets or reducing spending the confiscation of FTF funds is the alternative we are offered.

Government spending helps some people in any given neighborhood but the money wasn't contributed voluntarily and the people who paid to fund that program could spend it themselves if given the opportunity

I will be voting yes on Prop 302.

http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Arizona_First_Things_First_Program_Repeal,_Proposi tion_302_(2010)

Romantarchist
09-20-2010, 11:21 PM
Before deciding your vote on any proposition, it is wise to read about what that proposition actually means for us and our community. I went to the First Things First website and was incredibly impressed to see how First Things First was actually benefitting my community. The funds are decided on by a council of people living in my district and that money is going towards things MY community needs, vs the Legistlature deciding where that money should go. I encourage everyone to visit the website www.azftf.gov to see for yourself before we make our decision on how to vote.

First Things First is benefiting your community at the expense of the Arizona taxpayer! It is immoral to knowingly and approvingly benefit at someone else's expense! Are you saying stealing is moral as long as you're compassionate and care about helping others? That angers me.

I don't support First Things First OR the Arizona State Legislature having the money. The money belongs to the people of Arizona, not the government of Arizona. Anyone who's concerned about funding education after that can donate to a private or non-profit organization. Also, you act as if FTF doesn't have poor fiscal planning in light of the evidence I've marshalled above. If you vote No on Prop 302, you're wrong. Simple as that.

Cleaner44
09-21-2010, 02:05 AM

No thanks.

majinkoola
11-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Arizonans have the right idea on a lot of things but they are stupid. They voted no on 203 (medical marijuana), 301 (cuts spending), and 302 (cuts spending). I think if every voter would have actually understood those bills, the votes would turn out a lot different.

On the other hand, Libertarians are doing pretty well (>5%) in the state.

Kregisen
11-03-2010, 02:06 AM
Medical Marijuana is SOOO close....50%-50% with almost all precincts in, 655,000 no and 650,000 yes.

So damn close.